Indoor Television Aerials

PAUL R

Please can anybody help. We are relatively new to motorhoming and have a motorhome without an aerial. We have an indoor aerial which is very hit and miss and wondered if there were any better ones on the market. I don't want to throw money away so any help and advice would be appreciated. I have also been told that Freeview would help and I wondered if anybody had any thoughts on that as well. Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

When we moved house we had no external aerial and tried several indoor ones from Maplins and discovered that by far the best is the Magic Ring, sold widely at Shows for around a tenner. However, if you want reception good enough to power a Freeview Digital receiver, you will need an external aerial and a good one. Unlike analogue, where you simply get a snowy picture if reception is poor, digital simply switches itself off in all but the best reception situations.

Don't be tempted to buy one of the 'flying saucer' type aerials that you see on caravans and motorhomes, they aren't the best to get for good reception. If you do want a 'proper' caravan/motorhome one the directional ones are the best, they vary in cost from about £45 upwards, depending on whether you just want the aerial or ways of securing it permanently to your 'van. Have a scour of the web, I'm sure you'll find some bits and pieces and probably cheaper than at the dealers/shows.

Archived