Ducato cab steps need recovering!

Hazy Baby

Hubby and I have searched the internet and publications but can't seem find anyone or anywhere that sells material for recovering the cab steps on our 2002 Fiat Ducato based Knaus! The non slip covering has started to perish with age and exposure to the sun. Long shot but has anyone out there got any ideas? Thanks!

I may be wrong, but I suspect you mean you have external step moldings by the cab doors, and the covering on these has "gone".

If so, you want to be looking for someone who can do antislip adhesive tape (though you may have some difficulty in removing the existing stuff and cleaning it dowm).

The issue will be getting the correct width and length to cut to shape, as quite often with tape the supplier will only sell in minimum quantities.

An example of someone who might be able to help (and this is just from a quick Google search for someone who offers to cut to size) is:

http://www.apetape.co.uk/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=anti-slip-antislip-tape-safetywalk-safety-grip-non&sid=1qudllf6e024716tecwpp07r3j73itu1

....and you can see from the pricing why you wouldn't want to buy a complete roll, especially if you want a slightly wider tape.

If you search for antislip tape, you will find other suppliers, and if the step surface is not flat, there is a type that will conform to patterned surfaces.

HTH

Thanks. The tape certainly seems like a possibility especially if we can get it cut to shape or at least a piece of similar size to cut ourselves. Will google for similar suppliers as must admit did not include the word "tape" on our searches. Also the non slip paint idea may be a solution but not as keen as the finish, knowing our painting skills, may be a bit iffy..................Thanks again for quick responses!

Thanks for the further suggestions folks! We must have missed the cabsteps advertisement in MMM but are going to contact them to see if they can help. The area we need to cover is flat and not very large so fiingers crossed they can make us two new covers if we send a template. Hazel

Hi Hazel

Go to a Poundshop or similar & look for their ribbed doormat.

They do one which is slightly longer than the cab footwell,

I have fitted them in our previous & current Vans.

Cut the Doormat down the centre lengthways, (easy to follow the ribbed profile)

Remove screws securing the original footwell liner.

Place the Doormat cut section in each of the footwells (with excess up the rear.)

Replace screws & trim rear excess (or a dab of carpet glue to hold it in position)

Cheap, much better cleaning footwear & easily replaced if worn or badly soiled.

Archived