strange leak need advice please

duetto owner

my vehicle 2 year old ford autosleeper duetto

only noticed this evening a slow drip coming from front nearside mudflap it seems to be clear water no colour in it as i put some paper down to rule out antifreeze, looked under bonet nothing wet in there.

the fresh water tank is on the other side, not used the grey waste tank for ages so unlikly there plus the water looks clean and has no smell.

perhaps a load of rain water has gathered somewhere and is now dripping out but cannot image where from or how.

any tips please, been underneath and cannot see any water trail. had heavy rasin yesterday but none today only noticed it two hours ago.

A leak we had on our old Chausson was coming from the heating system. Changed and tightened the jubilee clips and sorted it. Water will come out wherever it finds a hole. Our leak was by the internal heater that was used when driving . Check all the heating ducting pipes to see if any are wet underneath.

Chris

I had a very similar experience to Chris. Water was appearing in varying quantities at several points, depending on how level the van sat on any particular site. Although under warranty the dealer repeatedly claimed it was just condensation from the fridge freezer and told me to keep using the frame heater. Eventually I undertook a major dismantling exercise and tracked each fresh water and heating supply pipe through the van and eventually traced the fault. A three-way connector buried deep under the bulkhead between the Truma heating system cabinet-surround and the fridge-freezer housing. The manufacturer had used very basic spring clips which were loose and allowing a steady drip, drip from two joints. Replacing these with good quality jubillee clips solved the problem. Another original-fitment clip failed about a year later and created new leak but the same method of methodical investigation and another jubillee clip fixed that too. I expect more of the original clips will fail over time and I will just have to spend time fixing them.

What may be particularly relevant to your case is that at times the water was appearing up to 3 metres from the source of the leak, by running along, under and behind furniture and pipe runs, sometimes covering a wide floor area as it emerged. Similarly too, for 2 days on a site,a steady drip of water emerged near the offside rear wheel as it exited from what I later found to be a gas drop out grill. All this made it very difficult to determine the source, except by methodically tracing 1 pipe run at a time.

Bob

....just a thought, but if you'd been out in it, and have air conditioning (and it's turned on), it could be the condensate, which generally runs off for some time after parking up.

(I'm not sure where the drain for this is on the Transit - I'll have to go and look on mine).

thank you for all the replies, we did not have air con on,the drip has since stopped but left a large damp patch on the driveway. I will keep an eye on it used a wire as suggested did not find any debris.

not used the hose option i will wait and see if it starts again.

Archived