fitting an oven

Caroline

Hi Caroline

I think your Swift will be fitted with a "Stoves" Oven, who are now part of Belling.

You didn't indicate the problem with your existing unit so this site maybe useful.

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/gas/product_17032/2200gg_built-in_stoves_oven_and_grill.aspx

Looking at search results, it appears most manufacturers include fitting instructions with new Ovens/cookers.

Thanks for the replies, unfortunatley there is no oven fitted at the moment, there is a grill and hob only but cupboards underneith in to which we were thinking an oven would fit. We are not replacing like for like so to speak.

(^)

Nothing is impossible of course, but I suspect going to that trouble of ripping out units/drawers, then building heatproof carcase, then running gas and electric (for lighting) in to that space, then actually fitting a gas oven would cost you a fair amount of money and a lot of hassle.

Are you utterly sure that you cannot survive without a full oven in your van?

There are loads and loads of things you can do with the gas hob - steaming and grilling etc, as well as just the boring boiling stuff..........we spend a lot of time wild-camping and don't find it a problem at all.

We do have a gas oven, but I bet Kathy hasn't used it more than 3 or 4 times in maybe 150 nights away over the past 3 years or so.

I think on our next van we'd prefer the extra storage space to another full oven.

Caroline - 2011-06-21 12:59 PM

Thanks for the replies, unfortunatley there is no oven fitted at the moment, there is a grill and hob only but cupboards underneith in to which we were thinking an oven would fit. We are not replacing like for like so to speak.

(^)

That's strange !!!!

I reasonably sure the standard model was fitted with an Integral Hob / Oven, but it may have been a 1st Buyer specified change for extra storage.

A post on Swift Talk to their technical guys may shed some light on that.

http://www.swift-talk.co.uk/forum/topics/contacting-swift-via-the-forum

I would think you will be able to "T" of the Gas supply to the Hob/Grill & Electric supply to the spark ignition for Oven Light.

(nb Please get the Gas supply modification tested by a "competent person" if fitting yourselves.)

Syd - 2011-06-22 6:16 PM

Hi Caroline

Just a thought, why don't you swap your currently empty cupboard space with BG for his cooker then you should both be happy >:-) >:-) >:-) (?)

SORRY

Nice one Syd! :D

Caroline - just chug down here to the Costa Blanca, and feel free to take out our oven and replace it with yummy cupboards and drawers m'dear....

Hi Caroline

We have never fitted an oven to a motor home as Helga is our first one and she has a Smev oven fitted. I highly recommend them - if you have a choice, no rattles!!

We have fitted a gas oven to a caravan. We removed a cupboard door and shelves and then we lined it all with tin foil (to reflect the heat from the wood) and then installed as per manufacturers instructions. I cannot remember the make, but this was a really good buy as it worked very well and the temperatures were quite accurate. I think it took us the best part of the day but then we did have two small boys at the time that I was trying to entertain and be OHs apprentice.

Good Luck with this, I think you will find it easier than you expect.

Archived