Budget when away.

deerhound

Have been using motorhome since last November and I find it really hard to have any kind of budget, the fuel part is never dramatic but I find the most expensive is food, in particular eating out, after each trip I usually find each trip runs to several hundred pounds, I suppose buying silly things that are not needed pushes up cost, although I do enjoy a book or magazine,, Does anyone have a budget or just go for it? (?)

I wish I was wealthy enough not to be concerned with money. But I am not and therefore it is always an issue. Having run different businesses over 40 years working to a budget has become second nature. I am not talking agonising over every potential small cost but if you know where you are going then a web site like http:/www.mappy.co.uk will give you an indication of your fuel and toll costs, and you can find out about site costs. Add in how much you want (can afford) to spend on living costs and there you are you have a budget. Oh yes and any good budget will have a contingency sum in it (lol)

Roy Fuller

We tend to have an Annual budget. We set aside a specified amount of money each month and plan our holidays around that budget to include all costs except food (the food bill is the same that we would allocate as if we were at home so does not come out of holiday budget). We also have to travel at the busiest and most expensive times of the year as OH is a teacher. However, we still manage 2 weeks at Easter (UK), 1 week late May Bank Holiday (UK) and 4 Weeks in Summer (Europe). We always stay on sites primarily CC or CCC in UK. We also manage to get several short weekenders in as well throughout the year. Our holiday budget cannot be increased now because of the rising costs of other areas of the household budget, but we are confident that we will still be able to take the holidays. If fuel, food and other prices keep increasing though we may have to start using CL's and CS's or cheaper private sites.

Archived