Motor-home unattended for 10 months a year

deegee

Can anyone advise me whether it is feasible to keep a motor-home which will only be used for 2 months each year (as I am abroad for 10 months)? I would keep the van in secure storage, but would it deteriorate without attention? What needs to be done to reduce this? Also, if I were able to find a site where they would start the engine once in a while, this would entail leaving all the keys (to extra locks, immobiliser, wheel locks etc) which negates all the extra security. Amy advice very welcome.

Hi,

My first thought was the tyres ..... if you leave them standing that long, they will develop flat spots (at the bottom :-D ) The military rotate their wheels every 3 months. Ideally, you should lift the tyres of the ground ...AKA "on blocks", and unless the storage is dark, cover the tyres with blankets or WHY.

I suspect that your batteries will not thank you, but the cost of new batteries MAY be small change compared with the cost of storage. Can you think of a way of employing the batteries while the van is idle. Whatever, keep the receipt and guarantees very safe.

I believe the fuel tank should be kept full, to minimise condensation. I'm not sure how this applies to plastic tanks.

Servicing is both time and milage based. I'm not sure which is which, but think that oil should be changed by the calandar on a low milage engine.

Store with handbrake off, Fit a battery isolating switch, and use it. Lift wiper blades off thye screen ????

Remember to SORN. Reduce insurance to "off-road" cover.

Guest Tracker

Had you considered leaving it with a trusted friend who could perhaps use it whilst you are not, in return for looking after it for you?

How about not buying a van at all but renting one when you need it?

Be aware of possible issues with bio diesel fuel content allegedly causing problems in long term storage?

Without a mains hook up the batteries will fail and you will have security issues which might upset your insurers?

We do exactly that. Sometimes we do an interim trip, but our motorhome is in storage about 10 months/year. Indoors, secure facility.

We overinflate the tires by 15%. Tank full with gas/petrol/benzin stabilizer added (ours is petrol, not diesel). We have a cutoff switch for the coach batteries, but not the vehicle battery.

We keep the fridge door open.

I leave the upper vent open for air circulation.

If left for too long without the clutch being used the plate could stick to the flywheel, if stored in the UK there are many days when even in a dry garage there will be heavy condensation on metal parts. The brake discs might rust as well. the engine and gearbox needs to be brought up to full operating temperature at least once a month and the vehicle driven on road.

On a stationary engine there are parts which can corrode, cylinder bores, valve stems, flywheel/clutch and so on.

Far better to use it regularly, it will last a lot longer.

H

Thank you for your responses which are interesting and helpful.

We don't want to rent a van as this will be our home when we are in the UK, We want to leave personal things in it. I know it's not "cost effective", but it's a cost we're willing to pay in order to have a home in the UK in which we can move around Europe for 2 months but only IF it's practically feasible.We simply can't use it for more than this because we are not here.

Some of you have done it, which helps us. Any other ideas about how to minimise deterioration would be welcome.

From what you propose to do, I think you may end up with more hassle that it is worth. When you come to your van after it has been laid up for 10 months you could find it won't start, will need servicing, MOT, repair etc, etc, then your 2 month 'break' in Europe will soon be diminished whilst you wait for things to be done.

Sometime last year a member came on the forum in a bit of a state as she had a motorhome in a 'trusted' storage site who were supposed to be looking after it for her, starting it periodically etc, and it ended up in a real state - anyone remember that one on here? I can't remember her name at present.

Insurance may also be an issue if you are not resident in the UK and/or due to the amount of time you intend to leave it so might be worth checking that out before proceeding.

I note that you don't want to hire but it may be more feasible to put your items in storage with a suitable company, and then get them out when you come over, and put them in a hire motorhome then.

Alternatively, what about an arrangement with a dealer to buy a motorhome from them, with a guaranteed buy-back agreement from them at the end of your 2 month period? It will cost you a few thousand pounds, but it would certainly reduce the risk/hassle/worry.

Tried to searchfor the thread Mel mentioned as it had some good information regarding Storage sites, but only get Error message.

I would also think about the condition of your personnal items would be in, after 10months in storage.

They may suffer from mildew, rodent damage, etc., or worse may dissappear.

Unless you have a friend who could store the M/H on their property & perform regular checks,run the engine, etc., Hire IMHO would appear to be the most practical option in your circumstances, considering posts so far.

Even a secure storage site can not be relied upon to do regular checks.

Guest pelmetman
Not heard from Christena since her last post :-S .......................It would be great to have an update ;-)

Thank you Mel B for finding that. I read her posts and she had left a rather old van for three years with many ensuing problems.

My plan is to leave a new or newish van for 10 months. Whilst some replies have indicated that it isn't financially worthwhile, I am still tempted to do it because we want a mobile home (emphasis on "home") and that lifestyle back again. They don't exist in Eastern Asia where I now spend most time.

Does anyone know how to deter rodents as that could be a problem?

You may find residency is a problem. To register, tax, and insure, a vehicle in UK, you need a UK address. You may already have solved this but, as you are non-resident for 10 months out of every 12, you may find this causes problems. It would be wise to check before buying. May I suggest an alternative? For the personal items you wish to keep in the van, hire space at a self-storage unit. The charges are not excessive. Then, hire a van to pick up on arrival, drive it to the self-store, pick up what you want, provision, and go. You will somewhat pay through the nose for the van, but far less that you would lose just in annual depreciation on a new van standing idle. Then, you will always get a van that is new(ish), ready to roll, serviced, taxed, insured etc, and any problems that may arise will be someone else's, rather than yours, so you should get full benefit from your time.

Brian Kirby - 2011-06-25 7:37 PM

You may find residency is a problem. To register, tax, and insure, a vehicle in UK, you need a UK address. You may already have solved this but, as you are non-resident for 10 months out of every 12, you may find this causes problems. It would be wise to check before buying. May I suggest an alternative? For the personal items you wish to keep in the van, hire space at a self-storage unit. The charges are not excessive. Then, hire a van to pick up on arrival, drive it to the self-store, pick up what you want, provision, and go. You will somewhat pay through the nose for the van, but far less that you would lose just in annual depreciation on a new van standing idle. Then, you will always get a van that is new(ish), ready to roll, serviced, taxed, insured etc, and any problems that may arise will be someone else's, rather than yours, so you should get full benefit from your time.

I could've sworn I said most of that .... ???? 8-) ;-)

Mel B - 2011-06-22 10:47 PM

Insurance may also be an issue if you are not resident in the UK and/or due to the amount of time you intend to leave it so might be worth checking that out before proceeding.

I note that you don't want to hire but it may be more feasible to put your items in storage with a suitable company, and then get them out when you come over, and put them in a hire motorhome then.

Hi Deegee,

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of your anticipated costings. Somebody here may have suggestions to improve thereon, or point out am incorrect assumption.

For instance, there are mutterings about legislation to outlaw tyres that are than 5 years old. Having to replace 4 (or 5) expensive tyres, that have only done a nominal milage, would be painful.

But only you knows what you want, and what you are happy to pay. Have you investigated finding somewhere to stay when touring? I think I read that all Club pitches are booked solid for the rest of this season ..... or maybe that only weekends .... or maybe I misread it.

Mel B - 2011-06-22 10:47 PM

Alternatively, what about an arrangement with a dealer to buy a motorhome from them, with a guaranteed buy-back agreement from them at the end of your 2 month period? It will cost you a few thousand pounds, but it would certainly reduce the risk/hassle/worry.

Thanks for this. I do have a UK address that I use for official things even though I am not physically there much. Will this do for insurance?

deegee - 2011-06-26 6:54 AM Thanks for this. I do have a UK address that I use for official things even though I am not physically there much. Will this do for insurance?

My guess is that if it is adequate for one kind of official, it will be for others. It is so that you can reliably be contacted by post (Tax reminders, insurance renewals, MoT reminders if relevant, parking speeding fines :-) etc) for anything connected with your vehicle. Simplest would be to check with relevant authorities. If you are away on business, could you use a business address?

Archived