Payments by card on Aires

weaver

I was just reading in MMM the comments and questions asked apparently originally on here (but I can't find it to reply) about using cards now on aires, and the problems he came across\\We were away for 4 weeks in May and used aires all the time as we were touring. We found many of these and they were all working differently as well, which of course doesn't help

We had no problems, but I was using a Tesco CC which is a Mastercard one, and on the mh-list just recently it appears that some using Visa had problems,... not sure if that makes a difference at all

In some we had to use the paying machine prior to the barrier lifting, and having discovered the English button it was fairly easy to follow the instructions, and we were in a couple issued with a thick credit card type of receipt plus a paper one, and upon exit one needed to put this thick one in and the barrier loaded and your card was charged for the amount of time you had spent there.

I recall last winter down at Narbonne Town, they had put in a new machine and cost went up day by day as you stayed.

Others we parked and found the machine and just put the card in and were issued with a receipt which we had to display in the window.

The only problem we did have, and that was at a skiing resort parking (which for the moment I forget the name, but over 200 places) was that the sun was directly on the machine and it was virtually impossible to see what to do. You were able to buy electricity there by x hours, and you had to go into another building, again using your card, and then were issued with a jeton to put in the electric machine. None of the spare jeton's I carried were like it. (I did try)

Hope that helps

Carol

weaver - 2011-06-22 12:57 PM In some we had to use the paying machine prior to the barrier lifting, and having discovered the English button it was fairly easy to follow the instructions, and we were in a couple issued with a thick credit card type of receipt plus a paper one, and upon exit one needed to put this thick one in and the barrier loaded and your card was charged for the amount of time you had spent there. I recall last winter down at Narbonne Town, they had put in a new machine and cost went up day by day as you stayed. Others we parked and found the machine and just put the card in and were issued with a receipt which we had to display in the window. The only problem we did have, and that was at a skiing resort parking (which for the moment I forget the name, but over 200 places) was that the sun was directly on the machine and it was virtually impossible to see what to do.

Can be confusing too that some machines use an additional screen to validate your Carte bancaire. I know I once spent 5 minutes wondering if I was doing something wrong!!  Derrrrrrrrr

When we were at Mimizan recently a German couple had a real problem paying for the aire. They had been able to enter by putting the reg number in machine but when trying to exit, none of their cards were acceptable to the machine. In the end another German came to help and used his card and they then paid him in cash. The problem with the aires is that not all of them accept all cards. Not sure, but I think you need a debit card rather than a credit card. It can be a real problem as you can enter ok but you only find out you have a problem when you want to leave.

Keith (sooty)

I have just returned from a trip and had trouble using my pre loaded TUXEDO CARD. At Soustons aire the card worked ok in the morning on leaving but would not work at Gastes aire. Also found that it was

rejected by machine on toll roads and some banks atm machines would not pay out with it. Have contacted the CCC who the card came from and they are looking into this problem

Like Sooty Keith, we were at the Mimizan aire whilst on our way back from wintering in Spain (late march) and to watch the carry on most mornings as the motorhomers attempted to leave. We saw perhaps ten in the queue once.

Most troubled appeared to be the French. No patience, they were soon on the phone to the local police to come and let them out. One of them actually rolled into the barrier, bent it (no mark on the van), while still 'discussing' the problem on the phone. And when the police opened the 'machine' out spewed a big roll of credit card reciepts that should've come out individually as each van paid and left.

When it was our turn we had a different experience, I put the plastic card (that we received on entering the aire) into the outgoing machine only for it to reject it three times before it asked for my payment. Again, no receipt given.

Our next stop was 230 mls north, t'other side of Poitiers.

regards

Allen

Archived