31 mpg?

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Is my maths right :-S

Mileage ................... Litres

344 ..........................50.03

Totals 1052.........................150.85

So I have divided 150.85 by 4.543 = 33.20 Gallons................

1052 miles divided by 33.20 gallons = 31.68 MPG :D ..................

Guest pelmetman
Ta very much :-D ...................I'm well chuffed with that....... my old camper is quite economical B-)

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2011-06-22 8:18 PM

You could beat that easy Dave. Try putting Premium diesel in it :D :D

Where are you now?

Dave

I did 1.50 euros a litre 8-) 8-)

Back home now :-( ..............................only 4 weeks until we go away again though B-) ............It's our annual outing to the ukulele festival :D

1.50 euro a litre. Glad I'm not the only one then, did the same in Germany in May. Roughly same price I think :D

Glad your home safe. Just remind me, where is that uke festival and when? I think Jannie said she would be playing there didn't she?

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2011-06-22 8:49 PM

1.50 euro a litre. Glad I'm not the only one then, did the same in Germany in May. Roughly same price I think :D

Glad your home safe. Just remind me, where is that uke festival and when? I think Jannie said she would be playing there didn't she?

Dave

It's at Run Cottage caravan site Hollesley bay near Woodbridge Suffolk, over the weekend of the 22nd B-) .................but I don't think Jannie attends this one :-S

I'm amazed that you've been able to obtain that mpg from a largish motorhome based on a 20-years-old Ford chassis. The 2.5litre Transit diesel motor, even in its latest 115bhp turbocharged format, was never known for low fuel consumption and the 'lorry' gearing did nothing to help. Contemporary motorhome road tests usually quoted around 25mpg average and that's what I used to get with my 1996-built Herald with the 100bhp turbo motor.

You must have a remarkably light right foot, as I'm doubtful that I could average much over 30mpg with my 2005 Hobby (with much more efficient Ford 2.0litre motor and much higher gearing) unless I deliberately drove for economy.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2011-06-23 8:28 AM

I'm amazed that you've been able to obtain that mpg from a largish motorhome based on a 20-years-old Ford chassis. The 2.5litre Transit diesel motor, even in its latest 115bhp turbocharged format, was never known for low fuel consumption and the 'lorry' gearing did nothing to help. Contemporary motorhome road tests usually quoted around 25mpg average and that's what I used to get with my 1996-built Herald with the 100bhp turbo motor.

You must have a remarkably light right foot, as I'm doubtful that I could average much over 30mpg with my 2005 Hobby (with much more efficient Ford 2.0litre motor and much higher gearing) unless I deliberately drove for economy.

I do drive differently in the camper, and try and stay at 50 - 56 mph..................well I am on holiday B-)

Don't know whether the fact that its a non turbo makes a difference?

I will have to do a comparison with the works van where its "pedal to the metal" all the way :D

One might reasonably expect a normally-aspirated diesel motor to produce significantly worse fuel consumption than a turbo version, everything else being equal. Basically, if your motorhome had the turbocharged version of your 2.5litre Ford motor, and you drove the vehicle as you now do, you might expect to achieve better average mpg than your present 31+.

Having said that, I have managed to find a November 1988 MMM report on an A-S Legend with the non-turbo 2.5 Transit motor and the tankful-to-tankful on-test mpg was quoted by John Hunt as "a fraction over 30mpg - and we hadn't been loitering". However, I think the Legend, at 5.29m long and with a MAM of 2660kg, was a good deal smaller/lighter than your motorcaravan.

MMM used to quote average mpg for on-test motorhomes to several decimal places, which always seemed a waste of time to me as it assumed exact measurement of the amount of fuel used and the distance travelled during the test. Nowadays it should be possible to check the accuracy of a vehicle's odometer pretty straightforwardly via comparison with GPS readings. Obviously there's little point in recording 'super accurate' fuel consumption data if the odometer isn't itself accurate.

(Not really on topic, but I remember driving a friend's just-bought Daimler SP250 Dart in 1970 and remarking to him that it seemed to have startling performance if the speedometer readings were to be believed. At this point a Mini 850 breezed past us with the Daimler's speedometer showing 80mph. A check with the Dart's previous owner revealed that the vehicle's speedometer had recently been replaced and a further check with Daimler confirmed that the wrong instrument had been fitted.)

Guest JudgeMental

His meanness is legendary...They probably push the van around :-D

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2011-06-23 10:33 AM

His meanness is legendary...They probably push the van around :-D

I have had the Fred Flintstone mod done :D ...........................I get through a lot of flip flops though (lol) (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2011-06-23 9:59 AM

(Not really on topic, but I remember driving a friend's just-bought Daimler SP250 Dart in 1970 and remarking to him that it seemed to have startling performance if the speedometer readings were to be believed. At this point a Mini 850 breezed past us with the Daimler's speedometer showing 80mph. A check with the Dart's previous owner revealed that the vehicle's speedometer had recently been replaced and a further check with Daimler confirmed that the wrong instrument had been fitted.)

I know what you mean about the accuracy of the speedo, but in comparison to my works Transit and my Rover which both have electronic speedo's and my camper which is the old cable type, the campers speedo is more accurate 8-) ..............As it is rarely a couple of mph out when compared to the sat nag :D .........so I assume the mileage would also be more accurate B-)

Progress eh? (lol)

Derek Uzzell - 2011-06-23 9:59 AM

Having said that, I have managed to find a November 1988 MMM report on an A-S Legend with the non-turbo 2.5 Transit motor and the tankful-to-tankful on-test mpg was quoted by John Hunt as "a fraction over 30mpg - and we hadn't been loitering". However, I think the Legend, at 5.29m long and with a MAM of 2660kg, was a good deal smaller/lighter than your motorcaravan.

From a 1990 review of the Travelhome V, length was 5.42m, and MAM 2750kg - so not a lot of difference.

Quoted MPG on a 2L petrol, however, was 20.59mpg (your two decimal places - but it wasn't MMM ;-) )

FWIW, my 2010 Hobby on the 140/6-speed Transit seems to have settled down at an indicated 34.4mpg (I make it nearer to 33 on measured consumption).

Not exactly driving with economy in mind, though from long experience setting a ceiling of 60mph improves things dramatically, and the cruise control on this one seems to help (which isn't invariably my experience with CC).

As is often mentioned on the forum, mpg is not the greater part of the cost of running a motorhome, but it isn't half satisfying to noticeably have to fill up less often than the previous A Class "brick".

miles/litres*4.546 for us equals 30mpg over a 3000 mile round trip Cumbria to the Vendee fully loaded at 3400kg and including all the running around and shopping trips while away. On the run down using CC we regularly return 32mpg. This is all relative as we are not sure of the oddo accuracy but we have returned these figure regularly over the past 6 years of Continental travel. I have noticed from the "Live in" reports in MMM that the latest version of the Ducato does not seem to be as economical as the earlier one.

Guest pelmetman
flicka - 2011-06-22 10:55 PM

Slight variance, Dave

1 UK gallon = 4.546 litres, so 33.18 gallons & even better you got 31.70mpg.

With your last fill at 32.335mpg. :-D

Cor!.........and on the way back we had a full tank of water!...............as we had run out at Le Touquet *-) .......so paid 2 euros to fill up 8-) .........and there's was no way I was going to empty that out + 20 litres of vino collapsso :D .............and its uphill going back to Blighty (lol)

I wasn't going very fast though, as I get the grumps going home so tend to slow down (lol) ..... bit like a petulant child being dragged back to school (lol) (lol)

• 7 months later...
davidmac - 2012-01-29 8:01 PM

I am thinking about buying a luxor eb .2.8 hdi manual 2003 3.8t. Am I likely to get anywhere near to 31 mph?

My personal opinion, not based on experiance of this model you understand, is that you will not get anywhere near 31mpg, at a guess 25mpg on a very good day.

Guest 1footinthegrave

This is a bloke who it seems never misses an opportunity to tell us how savvy, and by definition what idiots the rest of us are, as he is drives round in his old relics, this is just the latest wheeze, 31 mpg, yes right, in your dreams.

I have no problem with whatever people choose to own / drive, but for God sake man change the record ( which I assume you still have hundreds of ) I mean, what's the point. (!)

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2012-01-29 11:01 PM

This is a bloke who it seems never misses an opportunity to tell us how savvy, and by definition what idiots the rest of us are, as he is drives round in his old relics, this is just the latest wheeze, 31 mpg, yes right, in your dreams.

I have no problem with whatever people choose to own / drive, but for God sake man change the record ( which I assume you still have hundreds of ) I mean, what's the point. (!)

Morning 1Foot.............Latest wheeze?.........I started this thread back in June ;-)

I dare say pointing out that my elderly camper is still doing the job after 22 years and more frugaly than many must be a bit annoying :D

Progress eh?

A few years ago on the way up to Scotland cruising at 60 against a massive head wind we managed 16 mpg with a 2.3 fiat. No doubt we would have managed some fantastic figure if we had been going in the opposite direction. My point is that with a large unaerodynamic vehicle such as a motorhome the mpg one gets is very much dependant on conditions and the speed you are driving at.

I've tried premium fuels and found little difference between them. Subjectively both our car and motorhome do seem to run better on standard Shell fuel. For the record we do use a Millers additive which does seem to make the engine run better and deliver more power. It does make claims to improve fuel consumption but I've no idea if it does or not.

We do often use supermarket fuel with no ill effects on performance or engine life. Now that we've retired our millage is low but when I used to work I normally put in excess of 100,000 on our cars before changing them with no problems at all.

Bung the fuel in and moanneach time you do is our philosophy.

Archived