Removing unidentified crud from paintwork

snobbyafghan

We are in France. Yesterday, at a roundabout, we were behind a truck. As it pulled away, it sprayed us with what I thought was mud. When I tried to use the windscreen wash to clear it, it didn't budge. I stopped down the road, got out and found that whatever the stuff was, it wasn't mud. Icould just about get enough off the windscreen using no more than a massive amount of elbow grease but the whole of the front of the vehicle is covered in the stuff. It is brown and appears to be paint, varnish or something like creosote.

Not knowing what it is makes it difficult to remove but soap-type products like dish washing liquid has no effect. The only solvent-type stuff we have to hand is meths and that doesn't seem to be very effective plus, in the small area we've tried it in, it seems to dull the paintwork as well.

Anyone got any ideas of what we could try that isn't going to make matters worse by damaging the paintwork.

I appreciate it's difficult to advise without knowing what the heck it is.

I'd like to make the driver of the truck drink a gallon of the stuff - the feeling of helpless rage is quite strong at the moment... >:-)

Doug

I'd try some 'body wipe'. Its a solvent that spray shops use to clean paintwork of residues before spraying....won't damage the paintwork though. It'll shift most stuff.

If it is paint/varnish, then maybe you could polish it off using a cutting back compound.

Thank you gentlemen - some helpful stuff there. May have to wait until we get back to the UK - I don't know what cutting back compound is in French and it's probably cheaper in the UK. In the meantime, I DO know where to find white spirits in SuperU so maybe give that a go....

Cheers

Doug

Re cutting back compound, T cut won't be coarse enough by the sound of it. I use a product called Farecla. They make various grades, the one to use is G7. Don't polish too strongly on the edges or you'll cut through to the base coat.

You may be able to obtain it in France from a car paint place. Good luck.

Just a thought, have you tried an oil based product? If you have any olive oil or cooking oil, try that on a small area on the paintwork. Almond oil works on tar if it gets on clothing so if its creosote or the like, it theoretically should work.

It may not work, but before using something that may spoil your paintwork, it must be worth a try.

Good Luck with this.

Some of the suggestions put forward could potentially ruin snobbyafghans motorhome. Please remember that motorhomes are not finished to the same standards as cars and so need treating gently, yes even the cabs!. If it can't be removed with a detergent then its best left until you can read the label of the stuff your putting on or seek the help of somebody who has experience with motorhome paintwork.

PS Doug you have a PM

I suspect it's tar based.

A lad at the garage the other day showed us the result of him driving at speed on a newly laid piece of road, there were signs telling drivers to keep to 20 mph, but being a young lad, he piled on. What a mess it is.

Anyway the net result is no amount of washing with a power wash, (5 or 6 times) has made a scrap of difference.

We asked the valet for his advice and..........

You'll need some "tar & glue". This is a remover of, funny enough, tar & glue, you can buy it at any decent motor factors, Halfords etc etc. See link below for a pricey version of it.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_195697_langId_-1_categoryId_165682

It'll be a slow job but it will shift it.

Martyn

You may well be looking in the right direction Martyn, but as with all the other suggestions great care has to be taken with products like the link to halfords as it will strip every bit of paint protection along with the crud. I use an Autosmart product (trade only) that is a bit better than your link and always rewax afterwards

Guest pelmetman
It might seem like a dumb suggestion 8-) .......but have you tried "pampers"............they got grease off our upholstery :D

fjmike - 2011-06-23 8:40 PM You may well be looking in the right direction Martyn, but as with all the other suggestions great care has to be taken with products like the link to halfords as it will strip every bit of paint protection along with the crud. I use an Autosmart product (trade only) that is a bit better than your link and always rewax afterwards

If its trade only, how does Doug get hold of it ? 

pelmetman - 2011-06-23 8:48 PM

It might seem like a dumb suggestion 8-) .......but have you tried "pampers"............they got grease off our upholstery :D

I guess these things happen when you get to your age, but should your pampers have leaked like that and are you sure it was grease :D :D :D

Guest pelmetman
Big Momma - 2011-06-23 9:17 PM

I guess these things happen when you get to your age, but should your pampers have leaked like that and are you sure it was grease :D :D :D

YES :D ....................It was when the camper came back from being MOT'd so I tried the pampers 8-) ...........................but it worked and also for many other sorts of stains men of our age leave behind :$ :$

Which explains why Sue buy's them in bulk 8-)

pelmetman - 2011-06-23 9:37 PM

YES :D ....................It was when the camper came back from being MOT'd so I tried the pampers 8-) ...........................but it worked and also for many other sorts of stains men of our age leave behind :$ :$

AH ! Now I understand your post on Fulltiming when you say you will have to stop for regular 'nappies' :D

Guest pelmetman
Big Momma - 2011-06-23 9:58 PM

pelmetman - 2011-06-23 9:37 PM

AH ! Now I understand your post on Fulltiming when you say you will have to stop for regular 'nappies' :D

SSSSssssssssssssssssssssH :$ :$

Hello,

It will be some sort of tar and we use the 'tar and glue' product from any GE motor factors and while it is undeniably brilliant it will remove polish and soften the paint it is also very agressive and will dissolve nitrile gloves in a matter of minutes.

There are other, less offensive methods which will remove it, and not your skin, but will involve a lot more effort. Simoniz Liquid Diamond and many other polymer sealant type polishes will soften the tar and remove it while replacing the polish and even more radical is Meguiar's clay kit. You just spray a little of the lubricant spray onto the paintwork and rub the clay bar over the surface of the paint and it removes tar and all other contaminants. It's a very scary thing to do at first but I assure you that having done my Alfa with it last year the results are absolutely amazing. Use a little of the polish in the kit afterwards and you will not believe the smoothness of the painted surface. Pushing a bit of clay over rough paintwork seems like the most stupid thing to do ever invented but it works and does not scratch at all!

The kit is about £25 from Halfords, Euro Car Parts et al but don't forget there are 2 bars of clay in there and that should be enough to do two cars as well as your affected camper. Lots of work though!

Nick

The Auto Glym product is readily available, and not expensive. It is made for use on car paintwork, and they are a reputable firm. As ever, follow the instructions carefully.

I have used it over the years on tar spots, without any bad effects, on several vehicles, both solvent and water base painted, and have also used it on the painted aluminium of the van, on areas of the transfers, and on bits that are GRP and ABS. It removes tar spots quickly and effectively. Once the tar is lifted off, immediately rinse with a dilute mild detergent, then plain water, then dry and re-polish. As with any such product, experiment on an inconspicuous area first, just in case!

I would not attack with a abrasive paste of any kind, as these are liable to cut back the paint at the same rate, or faster, than the tar spots. You want to remove the spots, not the surrounding paint! :-)

Cheryl

Just to let you know, we tried the olive oil solution - and it worked...! Hard work initiallly, then I had the idea of leaving it on overnight. Next day, the "crud" wiped off easily.

I should have mentioned, it wasn;t the van that was effected - it was the tow-car which we were using.

I reckon the stuff was tar residue - the truck was probably a tipper working on road repairs and the gunk from the bottom of the payload area sprayed out of the back. That's my guess, anyway.

Thanks again.

Doug

Archived