Ford trannie service or not ?

ips

Here's the situation, van is 2 years old and done just over 7k was ford serviced this time last year.

I am somewhat reluctant to spend over £100 for what surely can only be an oil and filter change at this mileage so ......

what if anything else would be done for my £100 + ?

yes I know my warranty would be void if I do it myself but from my experience warrantys arent worth much anyway.

What is the concensus of opinion, proffesional service to retain the warranty or do an oil and filter change ets myself ?

ips

Your warranty may not be void if you do it yourself, make sure you use Ford parts and complete the service by the book and fill in the ETIS form; follow the instructions here http://www.etis.ford.com/fordservice/home.do;jsessionid=AF2A36E6EDC29686F5C41FA74A8FCCF4.walv0597

I suggest that regardless of what the schedule says, change the fuel filter, if I had done so it might have saved me a lot of money in repairs. Changing the engine oil every year is essential, oil degrades if not in use and engines can be damaged by degraded oil.

H

You WILL NOT void the warranty, so long as you use Ford (or equivalent) filter, and Ford recommended (or equivalent) oil.

Assuming you are a "competent person", change the oil and filter yourself, keep receipts to prove what you used, and fill in the service logbook yourself.

It was many years ago now that the EU ruled that the forcing by Vehicle manufacturers of EU-country vehicle owners to use Main Dealers for service work in order to maintain warranty was an unfair restraint of free trade, and thus illegal.

Of course it's still up to you to be able to show that the other garage, or self-servicing, was to Fords parts/materials and competency standards if required so to do - that's why accurate records and receipts are most important.

Guest Tracker

I too would be inclined to bite back the bad taste and have Ford do the service for the last time.

That way with a fully Ford stamped service book if you do get a just out of warranty failure in the next few months you will be much better placed to argue the case for financial support from Ford?

On the other hand if, as is probably far more likley, nothing goes wrong or breaks you will have wasted a few quid? Oh bugger!

What price peace of mind?

Do you feel lucky? Well - do you?

As far as next year is concerned - I would do it myself, or have it done by an indepenedent garage.

Guest pelmetman

Based on my experience of Mr Ford they don't give a sh*t about their customers *-) ...............Its only after I threatened to have the full list of failures sign wriiten on the back of my van they decided to cough up a few quid towards the lump of crap I'd been sold >:-(

Now they have a customer who will never cross their forecourt again...............and will slag them off at every opportunity.................good call customer services *-)

PS.................I'm not referring to my 21 year old Transit but my 12 year old Tranny..............which given time and patience by a proper mechanic has had all its problems cured :D

Progress eh? *-)

Guest pelmetman
scramblers - 2011-06-23 10:50 PM

Here's an interesting thought.

Do you travel abroad? Do you take out breakdown insurance while travelling abroad?

If so, not having your vehicle serviced according to manufacturer's recommendations will invalidate your insurance.

Are you saying that regardless of vehicle age that everyone should have their motor serviced by a main dealer (?) ...................Or they will invalidate their insurance 8-)

I had a conversation with our local Ford dealer when they did the 2 year 1st service and they suggested that due to the limited mileage done the filters could last two years, but the oil every year.

As it happens I use a local garage who is himself a motorhomer so that was the 1st and only service the Ford Dealer did.

ips

This is Ford's advice about servicing during the warranty period:

"If my vehicle is serviced at a non Ford Dealer, will my Ford warranty be invalidated?

No, but you must ensure that:

• Your vehicle is serviced as recommended by Ford (timing and content).

• Your vehicle is serviced using genuine Ford branded parts or parts that match the quality of genuine Ford branded parts.

• Your vehicle's Maintenance Record is completed and receipts are retained as evidence that the vehicle has been serviced at the correct intervals, in line with Ford Service Schedules, using the correct parts and fluids. This will assist in the event of a warranty claim for defects that may be influenced by incorrect maintenance intervals or content."

The cost to you of the correct oil for your Transit and a Ford-branded oil-filer is likely to be over £40, so duetto-owner's bill of £120 for a Ford main agent service sounds pretty reasonable to me in view of the fact that it will have been carried out by trained personnel with access to the correct equipment and information to carry out the task to Ford's requirements.

(I recall an instance where a motorhome dealer sold a newish secondhand motorcaravan to somone who was in a hurry to use it and, consequently, chose not to have it serviced prior to the hand-over. A couple of months later the vehicle arrived back at the dealership with the turbocharger clearly on its last legs. The owner (an unusually honest man!) confessed that he had carried out his own 'service' (oil and oil-filter change) but had failed to correctly install the filter. This had eventually starved the turbocharger's bearings and a replacement unit was needed.)

pelmetman - 2011-06-23 10:56 PM

scramblers - 2011-06-23 10:50 PM

Here's an interesting thought.

Do you travel abroad? Do you take out breakdown insurance while travelling abroad?

If so, not having your vehicle serviced according to manufacturer's recommendations will invalidate your insurance.

Are you saying that regardless of vehicle age that everyone should have their motor serviced by a main dealer (?) ...................Or they will invalidate their insurance 8-)

No, not servicing your vehicle to the manufacturer's recommendations invalidates your breakdown insurance, it doesn't matter who carries out the service. Proof of service may present a problem if you do it yourself. Keeping receipts for filters, oil, etc may help.

If you are involved in an accident, then depending on the cause and severity of the damage/injuries, your vehicle insurance company may demand proof of maintenance. They will try to wriggle out of making any payment.

Some very interesting thoughts. As a result I am now debating Ford for the last time or my local and very reputable mechanic who services / repairs / MOT's our business vehicles (and has done for many years) and mrs ips's puma and mini ips's KA.

Am I correct then in thinking that it is purely and oil and filter change required ?

ips - 2011-06-24 6:23 PM

Some very interesting thoughts. As a result I am now debating Ford for the last time or my local and very reputable mechanic who services / repairs / MOT's our business vehicles (and has done for many years) and mrs ips's puma and mini ips's KA.

Am I correct then in thinking that it is purely and oil and filter change required ?

If you follow hallii's advice (this thread's 2nd posting) and use the link he gave to Ford's Etis website, by clicking on the "Vehicle Lookup" button and providing your motorhome's VIN Number (or Registration Number if that works) you'll be able to retrieve factory-build information about your Transit base-vehicle and (the important thing in your case) generate the relevant Ford Service schedule.

Based on the 2-year schedule for my own Transit, it's likely that only the oil and oil-filter will need replacement, but my schedule goes to two pages and includes all the other checks that a Ford mechanic is instructed to carry out.

Have you not looked in your vehicle owners handbook?

There's always a page with a sort of chart with dots etc against different "Check" or "adjust" or "lubricate" or "replace" against different service items at different mileages/age.

Whatever it says in there is what they recommend, so that's what you or your local garage chappie should do....if garage chappie does the service, get him to sign and date a copy of that chart of something, to prove that he did all those service items.

Ips,

I'd also recommend the same as Hallii, that irrespective of your annual mileage you change the fuel filter as well. For the sake of twenty quid it could help save you thousands as it is the first line of defence for any water or foreign matter in the fuel. We only do 3,000 miles a year but I still change the fuel filter at the same time as the oil and filter once a year.

PS A tip I was given for canister style fuel filters was to fill the new filter with fuel before connecting it to help re-prime the system.

Keith.

Whether you DIY, or use another servicing method, is your own choice, but do also bear in mind that a fully and authentically completed service record is of value when you come to sell. The cost of servicing is not that high in comparison to the cost of what is being serviced. The phrase "penny wise and pound foolish" comes to mind for some reason. :-)

BGD - 2011-06-25 11:10 AM

Have you not looked in your vehicle owners handbook?

There's always a page with a sort of chart with dots etc against different "Check" or "adjust" or "lubricate" or "replace" against different service items at different mileages/age.

Whatever it says in there is what they recommend, so that's what you or your local garage chappie should do....if garage chappie does the service, get him to sign and date a copy of that chart of something, to prove that he did all those service items.

Interestingly, the German-language version of my Germany-bought Ford Transit-based motorhome's Service booklet has the type of chart you've described, but the equivalent English-language booklet has not. This is no real disadvantage, as (has been advised earlier) fully detailed Service Schedules can be downloaded via the Ford Etis website. The Etis-derived Schedules appear to be intended as potential check lists and include data-fields to record things like tyre tread depths.

My own view is that few owners of Transit motorhomes will be in a position to carry out a 'within warranty' service to Ford's requirements. Will they have the infomation to allow them to "tighten the rear suspension U-bolts to correct torque"? Will they be removing the road wheels to check brake-pad wear? Will they be renewing the brake fluid using the Ford-approved product (a 2-year requirement for my own vehicle)?

I'd also question whether a non-Ford main agent will carry out a 'within warranty' service so that the vehicle owner can be absolutely certain there will be no potential follow-up problems if a warranty claim needs to be made later.

(I vaguely recall an under-warranty claim for a damaged motor being rejected by Ford as analysis revealed that incorrect oil had been used. The vehicle had been serviced by a Ford main agent, but there was no indication on the service records what type of oil had been used. Can't remember what the outcome was, but it does indicate how careful one needs to be when it comes to under-warranty servicing.)

In ips's case, unless he were dissatisfied with the work performed by the Ford aget last year, the wisest course of action would surely be for the 2nd-year service also to be performed by that agency.

Archived