Netbooks / Win 7 / XPpro advice needed

tonyishuk

As my lappy's battery has died, I thought I might treat US (have to include the navigator) to a Notebook.

However having done the rounds and asked various questions of well informed salesmen (?) There do seemed to be a few unanswered questions..

All the laptops now seem to be only supplied with Windows 7, I would like to run XP because ALL my software is XP compatable.

I was told that Win 7 can have (at a cost) XP compatability, but it would appear to me that Win 7 emulating XP on a slowish proccessor, is not a wise move on my part.

It does seem that a number of manufacturers/ suppliers are going down the Win7 route and are not supplying XP drivers at all (HP for one)

So my questions to the forum are;

Programs I run at the moment are:

Autoroute 2010 ( with pushpins linked to pdf files containg campsite, tourist information etc)

Garmin Mapsource for geocaching and connecting a Garmin handheld (Etrex)

Mapsource (older version compatible with the older Ordanace Survey digital maps, the newer Mapsource does not read the older maps)

CartoExplorer (French version similar to Mapsource) using digital IGN maps

Ozi explorer (NZ digital maps)

and the usual map utilities for maintaing POIs with Autoroute and TomTom.

Anyone running these on a notebook ?and what are the proformance and readability of map and PDF detail ?

Any experiance of "small" laptops rather than netbooks # ?

Rgds

You will find that Windows 7 runs many bits of XP Software natively (and others, if they are relatively recent, may make patches available for Win7 compatibility).

I would check the Microsoft Win7 compatibility site for those that are critical to you, followed by the software supplier's site, and then a Google check in any case, because some software which isn't accredited still works perfectly well on Win7. (The great majority of mine has ported through from XP to Win7 - as an example, I'm happily running Autoroute 2003 - albeit with 2010 maps ;-) ). Under certain circumstances, you may need to set certain compatibility setting for the program to run correctly.

Failing that, a further option is to run Microsoft's Virtual PC, along with XP mode. These are downloadable from Microsoft, but note, are only available to run with Win7 Professional versions, they will not install on "Home" versions. It is supposed to provide full XP compatibility (and is probably the emulation that you refer to).

I would also be careful about which version of Win7 you use. My suspicion would be that there is less chance of compatibility if, say, you were running 32 bit XP, but install 64 bit Win7 (less of the older software is likely to be 64 bit compatible).

You could retro-install XP, but as you say, on many modern PCs availability of drivers will be an issue. (XP has now been withdrawn from marketing, and no PC supplier should be offering new retail products with it pre-installed).

It's not clear whether you are contemplating a Netbook or a Notebook, so I will add only the following comments:

For mobile use, (and for secondary use around the house) we find a Netbook invaluable. The small size and portability, combined with long battery life, means that we invariably take it with us, whereas a previously used larger notebook was often left behind.

The small screen would mean that I wouldn't want to use it as my primary, or only, computer.

From what I've read (rather than from direct experience) I would be wary of the limitations of Win7 Starter Edition. I updated ours from XP to Win7 Home, and added 1GB of memory to make it 2GB, and performance is entirely satisfactory for the tasks we throw at it.

Using mapping software is entirely possible, but is one of the less satisfactory aspects, simply due to the size of the screen - the amount of a map displayed is by necessity limited, so quite a bit of scrolling may be required. The detail is all quite readable, there simply isn't as much of it on the visible screen. We do run Autoroute and Fugawi (for OS maps) whilst mobile, so it is usable.

If you intend to travel with either a netbook or notebook, I would personally recommend a matt screen, rather than the current in-vogue glossy - much easier to use in less than optimal lighting - such as sat outside on a campsite.

Patently, a (more powerful) Notebook with a bigger screen removes some of the restrictions, but our experience indicates the Netbook suits us much better.

Guest peter

Just make sure they don't install the 64 bit version of win'7, as a lot of software won't work on it, including adobe flash player. I've got it on my acer aspire timeline x and it's a right pain in the rear end. Most other 32 bit programs will be o/k on win7 32 bit though.

You could always buy one with no operating system and install your own preference.

peter - 2011-06-23 10:14 PM

Just make sure they don't install the 64 bit version of win'7, as a lot of software won't work on it, including adobe flash player. I've got it on my acer aspire timeline x and it's a right pain in the rear end. Most other 32 bit programs will be o/k on win7 32 bit though.

You could always buy one with no operating system and install your own preference.

Doesn't matter if 32 or 64bit still a fundamental problem, it all runs through an end of the line 8bit processor. Forget the bull about CPU speeds, yes they are fast but the end bus will only take 8bits of info at a time. It is one of many get rich faults Microsoft originally came with and unless they change the original architecture of their windows software there it will stay. Although pricey go with an Apple Mac.

Many thanks for your replies;

However Plan "A" has been kicked into touch because our washing machine just packed up !!

By the time I get back to this thread, Win XP will be as much use as Windows 3.1 and the world will be running Win 99

Rgds

Archived