Leishmaniasis

hallii

I saw a program on TV a few days ago about Leishmaniasis and I dedided to Google it.

Here is some info. http://www.insectsaway.com/default.aspx?id=6149

Splash your repellant on generously, and keep your mozzie screens closed when in Southerrn Spain.

It's bad in humans but even worse for dogs.

It is spreading and is not uncommon in Spanish dogs, not so common in humans but you can't be to careful.

H

There have been a number of previous threads here regarding this disease - others might wish to search them for lots of additional information.

Our dog has it, but it is controlled with a daily pill.

A couple of years ago my daughter took her dog over to France, we were aware of Leishmaniasis and asked the vet about i before we left. He sold us a collar that protects the dog from this disease but it did cost a fair bit. We did notice that the supermarkets sold these collars at a fraction of what we paid to the vet, so maybe better to purchase from them (probably fresher stocks)

hallii - 2011-06-23 5:15 PM

http://www.insectsaway.com/default.aspx?id=6149

Interesting link hallii, its a very distressing disease for dogs and their owners alike. We were at the vets the other day getting Digger's passport stamped and we met another English couple who had taken on a stray about 4 months ago. When they went to the vets to have its jabs the vet advised them that it appeared to have the disease, anyway they now take the dog every other day for a jab to try and control it knowing that it will eventually kill the animal. Very sad...

Our Digger has a Scalibor collar and regular Frontline - worth every penny if it keeps the nasty little critters off! :-)

Guest pelmetman

Is it a all year round problem or just a summer thing :-S ..................and do you need both frontline and the collar?

Another question is this a Spain thing or Southern France aswell 8-)

Archived