Which Chassis Unit

Outward Bound

Hi my 1st posting on any motorhome forum, I am asking for advice technical and legal for a dream project that i have.

At the moment i tow my road legal caterham competition car around 5000 miles per annum on a Brian James trailer behind a 4x4 and the events that i plan in doing in the future in the UK and Europe will require an overnight stop or two. So just thinking if i could find the right motorhome i could convert to carry the car within.

This would then give security, also in the dry during bad weather during transport, also unit would double up as full holiday home as when away for a few weeks holiday would have a small lightweight car to run around the hills valleys shops etc.

Thoughts are i need a unit with around 2.5 - 3lts diesel with a tag axle, air suspension, and very important a low rear floor height, and a chassis plate which after removing the rear of the van and the lounge area furniture i could replace with a full lift up on gas struts rear door and a sheet ally cocoon area for the car 500kg to fit in via electric ramps electric winch etc,

Dimensions req for the car are 1.2mt H 1.6mt W 2.3mt L with rear storage area above the car.

The sleeping area would be above the cab and also a double bed above the bonnet area off the car, then cooking area and also a shower wc, with swivel captains seat up front for eating.

A large wind out safari type room would give additional eating area when on site etc.

So looking to spend around £10/15 k which i know is not much for an early A class / twin axle unit but a unit either which has suffered from water ingress internal fire would be perfect, as i will total revamp it all inside anyway. Just need the right chassis and a good engine gearbox cab etc.

2 nd question is = legally what would i need to change on paperwork if anything ? as long as total MAM is within chassis plate figures etc.

I understand there would be a 2nd car to insure within the unit during transport

Here is hoping for a reply with advice on an ideal chassis type to start searching for

I do not really wish to do a mini bus conversion unless i hear that it would be better and easier etc

Kind Regards and Thank You

I really think you need to remeasure your Caterham as 1.6m height seems a lot and 2.m long seems too short!

Other than that you are talking about a huge amount of work to convert an existing motorhome as you describe, added to which if you do get one with damp or fire damaged there is likely to be aton of work just to put that right first. Probably better to just get a covered/enclosed trailer and a camper that suits your needs.

D.

Suggest you read John Wickersham's 'Build your own Motorcaravan' published by Haynes.

In fact Johns current van was built to carry a sports car just as you propose.

From memory he used an air suspended rear axle. I have seen ambulances usung air suspension to allow the tail to lower for easy wheelchair access. An ex local authority unit might be a suitable starting point.

Another highly ingenious gent cut away the rear wall of his CF Bedford based motorcaravan and allowed the rear lounge to accomodate his vintage Austin Seven but still be used as a lounge when the car was in use.

I spoke to him about ten years ago and he told me that sometime in the mid 90s the motorcaravan was featured in MMM.

Another option might be to convert a caravan to carry the car inside. A friend of ours converted his caravan to carry his bubble car and then on site he could turn the caravan back into ... a caravan! I supposed it should have been renamed a carryacar-avan!!! :-D

Thank you all for the speedy replies

The diamensions are correct it is 1.2mt H as it carries a full race cage, and it is 2.3mt L

Yes an easy option would be to cover my current trailer or trade in for a covered trailer, and buy a 2/3 berth motorhome. Or yes convert a caravan.

But i need another project, and have the skills to complete, so will purchase the Haynes Build Your Own Motorcaravan book, sit down read and re evaluate

Any thoughts on a chassis unit which fills the criteria please ?

Many Thanks again

I personally think that a car – even as lightweight as a Caterham / Westfield plus ramp, winch, tools, fuel, gear, and all of the additional weight of the usual motorhome fixtures and fittings is going to be difficult to bring in under the MAM of most ‘vans. Not impossible, but a real headache. You’d almost certainly be looking at exceeding the standard-ish 3.5T. Moving up to an existing motorhome plated at a more realistic threshold in your price range is going to leave you with something comparatively old and may be more hassle than it’s worth. I personally wouldn’t go that route. Motorhomes are flimsy beasts and if you start cutting lumps out of them you will affect rigidity meaning support structures will need to bebuilt, and even more weight! 

If I were contemplating such a project I’d probably favour a mini-bus. What is it about that starting point that you don’t like? 

An equally good starting point would be a Mercedes Vario. This would give you the payload that you need and they are rock solid. A long wheelbase version would probably give adequate living room, even with the car in-situ. You can even pick these up in varying stages of fit. They are often used as crew carriers, utility vehicles, fire support trucks etc. 

Good luck, and nice project, I’m currently wrestling with one of my own. Let us know how you get on.

Crinklystarfish

Excellent advice, I will have a look at the MB Vario.

Re the mini bus conversion I would have to re panel both sides to remove the windows then replace with windows off a more appropiate size, just seems a lot of work.

The mini buses are very high mileage but are built to do this and with a full service schedule i surpose could be a solid base.

MPG could be around the 20mpg i believe, would like to get 25mpg + as my X3 2lt diesel only gives 26mpg towing and 40 mpg without the trailer

Fair reasons. Vario it is then. Fitting one of these out would, I'm personally convinced, be the least hassle in the long run. MPG isn't bad either. I saw one on eBay recently that was low mileage and had the back half beautifully lined out with chequer plate and a winch etc. It was about £11,000

If you do go this route you'd be wise to inform DVLA at the end of the project of the change of type to 'Motor Caravan'. You may need to support the change with photos etc and they may ask for an engineer's report. None of it is a major hassle and it's been done countless times. Also, if the project is on the road during conversion, just be mindful  that your insurance company needs to be onside.

The height and width are ok, bearing in mind the full roll cage but the length seems way too short, I googled "Caterham sven dimensions" and found this:

Caterham 7 Dimensions and Capacities

Length

3380 mm - 11'1"

Width

1575 mm - 5'2" - exc. mirrors

Height

1115 mm - 3'8"

Wheel Base

2225 mm - 7'4"

Split/Fold Rear Seat

not applicable

Boot Capacity

N/A litres

Kerb Weight

525 kg

Which gives length as 3380mm, the wheelbaee is 2225mm so wheelbase is close to your 2.3 m.

D.

From memory the Vario is about 5500 kg+ MAM. Does your driving licence include this.

Reputedly they are nicely run in at around 400,000 miles. With a real truck chassis.

The following dealer just outside Torquay in not so sunny Devon had one on the forecourt recently. A rough and ready conversion but well under 10k.

http://devonmotorhomes.co.uk/default.aspx

Big Momma - 2011-06-24 7:42 PM

silverback - 2011-06-23 11:25 PM

another option is to buy a horse box, that would do youtr needs...get rid of the "horses in transit" sticker of course (lol)

Or re-label it to "Horsepower in transit" *-) :D

(lol) (lol) yeh momma gud un, i agree with Dave tho, seems a bit short at 2.3 mtr, no experience of this but i would have thought 3mtr minimum!

jonathan

Lots of good thoughts here, many thanks again

I have C1 + C1 + E on my licence so ok up to 7500kg + or - trailer

Will have a good look around at chassis units, before parting with cash, expect a few more requests in the future

And again the race car is 2.3mt long having just measured again a road version with lights would be slightly longer. But i would build to accomodate a road going version so 2.6mt or there abouts.

Thank you all again for the replys

Archived