Rare-Spares Handbrake Extender

Frank McAuley

A couple of earlier forum threads that may be useful:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16238&posts=9

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-23898.html

Might be a good idea to say what vehicle you want fitting comments on as - as will be apparent from the MHF thread - ease of fitting can vary significantly according to the design of the handbrake (and its position in the cab).

There are two (to my knowledge) types of handbrake extender currently used, on one (the rare spares design I believe) the handle can be dropped down by simply removing a pin. On the other design thne handle stays up. The problem is that if the handle is left "up" and handbrake on you run the risk of implaing your rectum on it when exiting the vehicle. At best this is painful and embarrasing, at worst it could release the handbrake and if you are on a hill the results could be really nasty. I speak form personal experience, only yesterday a customer arrived and as I needed to get into the driving seat he moved across to the passenger seat, in the process he managed to knock the handbrake button (transit with handbrake in the middle) and release it starting the van rolling rearwards with me stood by the open drivers door and unable to reach the handbrake 8-) . Thankfully he was able to pull the handbrake on and no damage was caused. Handbrake extenders are ok if used with care but they do make it very easy to accidentally release the handbrake!

D.

Hi Frank,

Still in France.? We had HB Extender for wife Julie on "old" Fiat based Hymer B 584 C.

Took it off before P/X for new Transit based Hymer Van but probably not needed now.

Recall easy to fit, just 3 screws, and worked well.

New member living in France.

Keith

Hi Keith

Yes still in France. Moved to Vendee a couple of days ago as it was getting too hot in Eymet but it's as hot here now.

The veh I am considering fitting it to is a 2011 Fiat Ducato Maxi ; you really have to bend right over to operate the handbrake.

The model I favour is the one with the handle that folds over but it's more expensive - is it worth it?

BTW Keith I ordered the long version of Taylormade!

I have had a Rare Spares one for three years now. It is an excellent product and very well made. You take a little while to get used to getting out of the van as Dave says but once accustomed to it no bother. The fold over handle is essential in my opinion.

I use a 'Rare Spares' handle also.

Excellent!

Requires retightening every so often, as do others, but simple.

I always park in reverse gear in case I knock the handle off.

My drivers seat is not raised on a swivel but still not a real problem.

Hi Frank,

Ours is a Konik I think and worked well on old Van.

Think you will be pleased with the TM long line screens you have ordered.

We due off to site by sea near Royan today but postponed when Meteo forecast said present heat wave due to continue next 10 days. 40 degrees c here at the moment.

Our house has thick stone walls and very cool inside + Pool so we stay here a while.

Keith

PS Presumably your new screens going to UK address as TM don't deliver to France I recall.

Hello Frank,

I fitted a Rare-Spares Handbrake Extender five years ago on our Knaus (Ducato) MH so that the co-pilot could take her turn at the wheel. Still working on that one but the extender works well. Our van is a RHD A class with no driver's door. Fitting is OK if you can bend and twist or have an extra joint on your wrist. With a drivers door it would be an absolute doddle, with just six bolts to tighten.

It is a very well designed and engineered piece of kit. Though I do not need an extender in order to reach the handbrake I still leave it on as I find it very easy to use. Removing the pin drops the handbrake out of the way of the swivelling seat. It is also another piece of evidence that your vehicle cannot be driven if the driver has had a drink whilst staying on an Aire.

Another nod for the Rare Spares item...I fitted one to our previous van(X250 pug).A well made piece of kit but as has been said,if you're not careful,it's all too easy to snag on clothing and release the handbrake when exiting vehicle.

So much so that I reduced the handle length by 2-3"..

(..to do this,I purchased a second steel "swan-neck" section from them,in case my messing about didn't quite work out *-) )

This mod' meant that when on,the top of the handbrake lever was just below the seat line...

Archived