What’s in a name?

postnote

We all have differing names or nicknames on these forums and hid behind them, but why do we give ourselves nicknames. Is that we want to be provocative, feel insecure, inferior or just want to be someone who we can’t be, but would like to be.

Or does human instinct kick in and subconsciously we think that written comments cannot really hurt us if they are directed at a factious name rather than a true name.

Anyway just a thought

:D

OK, so post your real name, post the vehicle you own. Some tell us when they are going away or they are noted by their absence on the forum.

Any would be criminal just needs to punch your details into one of the sites like 192.com and for a small subscription can find out all about you. Even your age and date of birth, just what you need for a spot of identity stealing.

Too much detail in the public domain for my liking.

AliB - 2011-06-27 1:56 PM

OK, so post your real name, post the vehicle you own. Some tell us when they are going away or they are noted by their absence on the forum.

Any would be criminal just needs to punch your details into one of the sites like 192.com and for a small subscription can find out all about you. Even your age and date of birth, just what you need for a spot of identity stealing.

Too much detail in the public domain for my liking.

Sounds to me you have something to hide? :D

antony1969 - 2011-06-27 6:10 PM

On here I like to use my first name but in PM messages to me some members seem to get confused and have called me w.....ker , A .....hole , To...pot and many other funny names . How hard is it to remember Antony ?

... Antony who? :D

You've gotta remember that there are a load of old codgers on here who's memories aren't that great so its easier for them to lump everyone under the same 'name' to save having to remember their proper one!

:->

antony1969 - 2011-06-27 6:10 PM

On here I like to use my first name but in PM messages to me some members seem to get confused and have called me w.....ker , A .....hole , To...pot and many other funny names . How hard is it to remember Antony ?

I don't know, Antony; how hard is it to remember?

• 6 months later...

Archived