wildcamping legalities

ips

donna miller - 2011-06-29 8:02 PM

Wilf - 2011-06-29 7:03 PM

But I would ask you what you regard becomes the difference between sleeping in a parked vehicle and camping.

Be careful what you ask for.

Bruce might be tempted to try and beat his current ' longest post in forum history ' record. :D :D

No.

Guest pelmetman
BGD - 2011-06-29 9:30 PM

No.

would you care to expand on that? :D

Being a bear of little brain, it has only just occurred to me to wonder what the late, great, Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick, might have done with the idea of wild camping on Round the Horne. Julian and Sandy, anyone?

'Ello, I'm Julian, and this is my friend Sandy, wiiiiillld campers extraordinaire. To be continued.....................!

Now, just try extolling the virtues of wild camping while keeping a straight face. :-D

Wilf - 2011-06-29 7:03 PMThe title of this post was “wildcamping legalities”. As far as I see the current statutes, there is only one way to legally wildcamp in the UK and that is with the land owner’s permission; with no change of money for that privilege. But would that be wildcamping?...

No, that's just camping and if done without the land owner's permission, then that's just  trespassing. I assumed when the original post was made we were addressing camping off a recognised site but in a public place, or a private place to which the public has lawful access - like a local authority owned car park etc.

Not that it matters much, I'm happy to keep doing it. It's probably good to remember that outside of the academic debate, hardly anyone cares - ever!

Brian Kirby - 2011-06-29 11:53 PM

Being a bear of little brain, it has only just occurred to me to wonder what the late, great, Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick, might have done with the idea of wild camping on Round the Horne. Julian and Sandy, anyone?

'Ello, I'm Julian, and this is my friend Sandy, wiiiiillld campers extraordinaire. To be continued.....................!

Now, just try extolling the virtues of wild camping while keeping a straight face. :-D

I have visions of you wild camping and meeting up with Rambling Syd Rumpo - though given what I have read of wild camping, you might be more likely to meet Rambing Syd Rumpy!

.....or is that just around the forest here? 8-) :D

Just to clarify I meen staying overnight (no awning or steadies etc deployed) in a lay by in the coutryside the type you get at the side of a lake or river in lakes or wales etc or overlooking a beech in cornwall or middle of no were in scottish highlands that type of scenario. Not a council owned car park or otherwise and not tescos car park.

Hope that all makes sence.

Robinhood - 2011-06-30 8:35 AM

...............I have visions of you wild camping and meeting up with Rambling Syd Rumpo - though given what I have read of wild camping, you might be more likely to meet Rambling Syd Rumpy!

As ever, I defer to your superior knowledge in these matters. :-) Mind you, with the trya, sorry friar, Tuck, in your merry band, I'm not entirely surprised there is a certain amount of rustling in the undergrowth.

But Rumpy? Isn't he something to do with the EU? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2011-06-30 12:59 PM

Robinhood - 2011-06-30 8:35 AM

...............I have visions of you wild camping and meeting up with Rambling Syd Rumpo - though given what I have read of wild camping, you might be more likely to meet Rambling Syd Rumpy!

As ever, I defer to your superior knowledge in these matters. :-) Mind you, with the trya, sorry friar, Tuck, in your merry band, I'm not entirely surprised there is a certain amount of rustling in the undergrowth.

But Rumpy? Isn't he something to do with the EU? :-D

.....ooooh Brian, your innuendo is enough to turn Will Scarlett! 8-)

(and no, innuendo is not an Italian suppository). ;-)

I do apologise for going even further off-topic, but my "superior knowledge" doesn't come from experience, though a certain amount of entirely innocent observation confirms the source, which is a local news item.

I apologise (only slightly) for posting a mildly distasteful link, which is worth reading, if only for the priceless comment at the end by the Forestry Commission spokesperson.

A bit more time considering her words might have been better :-D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-13393469

Be careful out there (wild) campers. :D

(I'm sure you really know what a supository is, Brian. I do, as my doctor once put me on a course of them.

I took the full course, but for all the good they did, I might as well have shoved them up my b*m)

ips - 2011-06-30 12:27 PM

Just to clarify I meen staying overnight (no awning or steadies etc deployed) in a lay by in the coutryside the type you get at the side of a lake or river in lakes or wales etc or overlooking a beech in cornwall or middle of no were in scottish highlands that type of scenario. Not a council owned car park or otherwise and not tescos car park.

Hope that all makes sence.

If you put out an awning or steadies down, put chairs out etc; in fact anything other that the rubber footprint of the vehicle, in the eyes of the law you are camping. You are camping on the highway an offence.

If you just sleep, eat and wash etc you are doing your own thing in your own vehicle. Some of the things you may do in your vehicle may offend others and you may then be in breach of other statutes and bye-laws; but that’s another story.

HGV drivers park their units in lay-bys and sleep, no problem that’s not camping. Motorhomes park overnight on Marine Parade Dover, with the blessing of the local authority; put an awning out and steadies down get the table, chairs and a barbeque on the go. I don’t think you’d last 15 minutes.

To do what you suggest may not be breaking any laws but IMHO could be regarded as foolhardy. To park in a lay-by, not knowing the history of what may happen in that lay-by during the nocturnal hour’s enjoyment of certain members of our society could leave you regretting your decision, followed by not only a hefty bill to repair any damage but also the inconvenience.

ips - 2011-06-30 12:27 PMJust to clarify I meen staying overnight (no awning or steadies etc deployed) in a lay by in the coutryside the type you get at the side of a lake or river in lakes or wales etc or overlooking a beech in cornwall or middle of no were in scottish highlands that type of scenario. Not a council owned car park or otherwise and not tescos car park.Hope that all makes sence.

Perfectly legal mate, unless, as before, there are specific by laws prohibiting you. The land owners wouldn't bother with the faff of making by laws if there was already in place a general law making sleeping / cooking etc in your vehicle an offence. 

There is an offence of camping in vehicles on land without the consent of the occupier, or on land forming part of a highway, or on any other unoccupied land and failing to comply with a direction to leave by the local authority (Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 s 77) BUT you will see that it's only committed if you fail to comply with a direction to leave. This is the legislation used with 'travellers'.

There may well also be some archaic legislation knocking around that covers the concept but will also address things like taking your horse through market town on Tuesday without a nosebag.  Such stuff litters the statute books but is effectively obsolete.

Scotland is slightly different (more liberal) because of the right of access rules they now operate.

Reps sleep in their vehicles all the time (sometimes even whilst driving) families pull up in lay bys and make a brew in the boot on camping stoves, truckers have to sleep, eat, etc in the cab as they often have little viable alternative. Nobody bats an eyelid. Criminalising this would be bonkers and utterly unenforceable.

You will not attract prosecution doing what you do. If you do, let me know and I'll happily pay your fine.

Mr Fish. Sir,

I have never been asked to "move on" for free camping, wild camping or any other form of camping.

(Although many moons ago we, 4 young men "chatting up" 4 young ladies were asked to do so by the Sheffield police whilst slowly driving along side of the afore mentioned ladies. After parking, it was ok to continue......and a good night was had by all.....well not sure about the policeman)

Back to the point. I find it irritating for the euphemism "Traveller" to keep being used to describe "Pikeys"

Once upon a time, I was a gay young man....not any more. Now I realise that I was just happy and carefree, (The fact that I am now a grumpy git is irrelevant). The changing definitions of some of the Queens English is too much, far to much. It should be resisted.

If this abuse of the spoken and written word continues I will have to change my name to "Not a Travelling Tyke" and sulk!

Guest JudgeMental
Have you been locked up for a while Crinkly........It seems like years since you posted on here? :-D

Archived