Changing gearbox oil

bob b

I've changed the engine oil and filter today and wonder if I should change the gearbox oil. As far as I'm aware its never been changed and it must be a bit 'secondhand' by now. That said, there is nothing in the handbook about service intervals, so can it or should it be done?

As no doubt Dave will tell you, the gearbox oil is fine, it doesn't get dirty like the engine oil and will last for may more thousands of miles. Unless you have water in there, and you won't know that until you drain it. There was a spate of water finding it's way into some gearboxes.

H

I was under the impression that my particular model didn't suffer from water ingress into the gearbox. It just seems odd that it was a routine service item years ago and apparently not now.

Still. if it ain't broke don't fix it eh !

The only routine service I've ever known for gearbox oil is to check the level, replace at 100k miles or thereabouts. Fiat Ducatos haven't had a level plug for years so level checking is not possible. Its only worth changing the g'box oil if you're having problems or there's signs of it leaking. Obviously in the latter case you need to cure the leak first.

D.

Archived