re-attaching beam-benders

silverbike

I would suggest you ditch them and buy a set of lens protectors with continental markings. These can be used year after year, take seconds to fit and protect your headlamps at the same time.

They are a bit pricey-about £50 but over a few trips it is worth it.

Try this link on ebay http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_kw=Ducato&_kw=protectors and see if they have the model for your van

Mike

Mike B. - 2011-06-28 2:54 PM

I would suggest you ditch them and buy a set of lens protectors with continental markings. These can be used year after year, take seconds to fit and protect your headlamps at the same time.

They are a bit pricey-about £50 but over a few trips it is worth it.

Try this link on ebay http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_kw=Ducato&_kw=protectors and see if they have the model for your van

Mike

I purchased a set of these headlamp protectors and there are markings on them to indicate where you should fix the pre-cut masks. They were easy to fit and I have even left the continental dip headlight masks in place for use in the UK.

I was concerned that it would not pass its first MOT with the masks in place. I mentioned this and on the check I was told it was okay to leave them on; the only downside being that I may get reduced light when I drive on dipped headlights in the UK. Not a problem I tend not the drive at night as my blood alcohol level may be more of a concern.

I intend to keep the masks in place permanently, so I don’t have to think to fit them when we cross the water. I have read somewhere that the French Police are checking UK registered vehicles to inspect that headlight dipping has been corrected. Perhaps someone can confirm this; it may even have been on this forum.

JudgeMental - 2011-06-29 12:28 PM

are these the only suitable covers for an X250? they seem expensive to me *-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390264818450&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_922

I got some about a couple of years ago made by a New Zealand company Airplex http://www.airplex.com They were £15 inc postage not seen them for sale since.

What’s £48.99 in “the great scheme of things”. When you have paid 50k+ for a van why not try to protect the headlights from stones thrown up. Money well spent IMHO, but there again we are all different and spend our money as we see fit. When I bought mine they were selling like “hotcakes”, so there must be many of us with too much money to spend!

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2011-06-28 4:01 PM

Skinflints hope I don't get too many customers like you lot.

Times is ard Lenny :D......................I keep mine on.................the first set didn't come off for 10 years (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2011-06-29 6:33 PM

Times is ard Lenny :D......................I keep mine on.................the first set didn't come off for 10 years (lol) (lol)

If you ever get a new van it's not advisable can damage the polycarbonate if left on for extended periods and at £300 for a pair of new headlights might be worth taking them off.

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2011-06-29 7:39 PM

pelmetman - 2011-06-29 6:33 PM

If you ever get a new van it's not advisable can damage the polycarbonate if left on for extended periods and at £300 for a pair of new headlights might be worth taking them off.

That's the fing with us old campers the lights are made from glass :D................what you twendy wendys will pay to keep up with the fashionistas (lol) (lol) (lol)

AliB - 2011-06-29 12:42 PM

What's wrong with the Eurolites from Halfords. I bought a set 3 years ago, stuck them on and left them. Still good.

You lot must have too much money to pay out £50, even if it does offer extra protection.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_172996_langId_-1_categoryId_165458

If you leave continental dipped headlights on in UK you are:

A) Going to dazzle the oncoming traffic

B) Breaking the law as UK lights must dip to left

C)Get reduced illumination nearside where Joe Public may be walking etc

I realise £50 is a lot of money but if you get pulled by PC Plod with them on in the UK he can give you a

ticket which is £60 fixed penalty.

That's £10 more plus the cost of the Eurolites which proves, the cheapest isn't always the best. You also won't have the protectors for future years foc.

I don't have money to burn either, nor do I want points on my license.

Mike

PS Just copied this off the Halfords link as above!!!

Never go abroad to Europe without adjusting the headlamp pattern of your vehicle as it is a compulsory requirement in most countries. Remember to remove the headlamp converters as soon as you return to the UK. :$

I have posted this before but I`ve used X250 headlights in many major tunnels abroad and have never ever been flashed, not once. I appreciate some worrying type will come on, but in the last 15 years I`ve never heard of anyone being stopped or challenged about beam benders. I suspect the only people to benefit from expensive beam benders are the makers.

mirage - 2011-06-30 9:18 PM

I have posted this before but I`ve used X250 headlights in many major tunnels abroad and have never ever been flashed, not once. I appreciate some worrying type will come on, but in the last 15 years I`ve never heard of anyone being stopped or challenged about beam benders. I suspect the only people to benefit from expensive beam benders are the makers.

Technically visiting motorists are only required to have their headlamps adjusted to avoid dazzling oncoming motorists.

Over the last couple of years the French have been pulling motorists without beambenders, for the sake of a few quid it not really worth having an argument with a Gendarme unless you speak fluent French and are fully conversant with French motoring law.

I've been driving all over the continent for over 30 years never used beam benders until the French started their un-neighbourly action.

Mike B. - 2011-06-30 4:46 PM

AliB - 2011-06-29 12:42 PM

What's wrong with the Eurolites from Halfords. I bought a set 3 years ago, stuck them on and left them. Still good.

You lot must have too much money to pay out £50, even if it does offer extra protection.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_172996_langId_-1_categoryId_165458

If you leave continental dipped headlights on in UK you are:

A) Going to dazzle the oncoming traffic

B) Breaking the law as UK lights must dip to left

C)Get reduced illumination nearside where Joe Public may be walking etc

I realise £50 is a lot of money but if you get pulled by PC Plod with them on in the UK he can give you a

ticket which is £60 fixed penalty.

That's £10 more plus the cost of the Eurolites which proves, the cheapest isn't always the best. You also won't have the protectors for future years foc.

I don't have money to burn either, nor do I want points on my license.

Mike

PS Just copied this off the Halfords link as above!!!

Never go abroad to Europe without adjusting the headlamp pattern of your vehicle as it is a compulsory requirement in most countries. Remember to remove the headlamp converters as soon as you return to the UK. :$

Eurolites are not beam benders but beam blockers so I don't see how you will dazzle oncoming traffic in the UK.

The lights will still dip to the left.

Yes you will get some reduced illumination. But you would also get reduced illumination with a protection cover.

If they are illegal in the UK why has the vehicle just passed its MOT with Eurolites in place?

Of course Halfords tell you to take them off, they want you to buy new ones every time you hop across the channel

Guest Tracker

I use double sided carpet tape and have used the same beam benders / blockers for four trips so far and will use them again as they are fine.

Simply clean the lens and blockers with white spirit after removal.

Guest 1footinthegrave

My experience is really a cautionary tale. Having used beam benders in the past, and always being unsure to their correct position I looked for other solutions, so as I was feeling flush this year I bought some full headlamp protectors that were pre-marked for blanking out for which I used a small piece of black fablon on the inside to do the job. Call it fate or coincidence but on this years first trip to France I actually saw a stone drop from a truck, bounce, then I heard the impact, you guessed it, a bulls eye on my nearside headlamp, and one smashed polycarbonate lens protector was the result. In over 45 years of driving I have never suffered damage to a headlight, but I was mightily relieved it was the protector and not the headlight with the hassle that would have created.

Sadly I now have to buy another pair at £50 from http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk, but the hassle they saved me will be worth it, both for knowing the blanking out position, and the now well proven headlamp protection they gave me. Just hope lightening does not strike twice ;-)

lennyhb - 2011-06-29 6:28 PM

JudgeMental - 2011-06-29 12:28 PM

are these the only suitable covers for an X250? they seem expensive to me *-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390264818450&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_922

I got some about a couple of years ago made by a New Zealand company Airplex http://www.airplex.com They were £15 inc postage not seen them for sale since.

Like Lenny, I got one set c£15, then shortly after decided I wanted a 2nd set to fit with Beam Deflectors.

The company was a Commercial Vehicle in Suffolk (?) Ipswich area, but although it was only a matter of weeks later they had sold all their consignment & were not getting any more :-(

only others I found at the time (other than Fiat/Peugeot) were the e-bay link shown above & Van Comfort

http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/headlampdeflectorspage_000.htm

Archived