Weight, length & width restrictions in Ireland

Mel B

Hi Mel,

Is this some kind of quiz? If so I'll be first to try and guess...

1. No Buses or Coaches

2. Maximum Width 1.8 m (6 ft)

3. Maximum Weight 2 tonnes

So how did I do?

Keith (firmly tongue in cheek :D )

Now that you've all had your bit of fun, tell me the FULL AND UNEQUIVACAL meaning of the last one, the truck with the 2 tonne payload restriction on it - exactly WHAT does it apply to.

Also, what COULD happen/be done to you if you use this road with a MOTORHOME over the stated width, weight etc ...

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2011-06-29 6:40 PM

Now that you've all had your bit of fun, tell me the FULL AND UNEQUIVACAL meaning of the last one, the truck with the 2 tonne payload restriction on it - exactly WHAT does it apply to.

Also, what COULD happen/be done to you if you use this road with a MOTORHOME over the stated width, weight etc ...

You connor pass :D........................sorry Mel................being stupid again (lol) (lol) (lol)

Mel B - 2011-06-29 6:40 PM

....well, of course, Irish law would apply, so who knows?

In the UK, however, the "truck" sign indicates no HEAVY GOODS VEHICLES over two tonnes. Whether or not a motorcaravan (as on the V5C) constitutes such for the purposes of this regulation is a moot point (it doesn't in many cases, e.g. for MOT purposes, but unless I could find unequivocal guidance I don't think I would like to contest it in a court of law!). I have it on good authority that similar 3.5t limits in Austria do not apply to motorcaravans.

As far as what would happen (in the UK) if you were to use the road in contravention of the signs, I suspect that you would be charged with "failure to comply with a traffic sign", which is endorsable under code TP50, and can carry 3 points and a fine. Often dealt with as a fixed penalty offence.

Really Mel I think you are being a bit silly it is written clearly in Gaelic & English above icons and if max weight 2T & length 7.2m doesn't give you a clue to what the road is going to be like I would give up driving a Motorhome (lol)

It looks lovely Mel, you took the chance and got away with but you might have come a cropper.

I often take the chance on width as we all know service vehicles usually get down these roads but the 2T weight limit would have had me worried. In Scotland went down a road with a 7' width restriction then got to a very narrow bridge with a 3T limit it was of a rickety wood construction and I promptly did a 20 point turn if I hadn't been able to turn I could have been reversing for a mile.

lennyhb - 2011-06-29 7:55 PM

Really Mel I think you are being a bit silly it is written clearly in Gaelic & English above icons and if max weight 2T & length 7.2m doesn't give you a clue to what the road is going to be like I would give up driving a Motorhome (lol)

Actually the roads weren't that bad, we've had much worse on ones that didn't have any signs on them at all! However, before we went on them we stopped someone who had just driven over and asked if we'd be okay ... we're not THAT stupid to just do it ... well, not most of the time anyway! :D The 2 tonne limit / width restriction was to deter lorry drivers from using the road apparently.

Now there was one road, though, that was 'interesting', we went to Glenbeigh Spit, a piece of 3km sand 'bank' that goes out in the estuary on the north side as you start on the Ring of Kerry, after a potter around and feeding the dogs, we drove and turned up a 'loop' past Rossbehy road to take us back to the main road ... now THAT was a bit exciting, sheer drop on the offiside, narrow road, 1:4 up for what felt like 200ft .... beautiful views though! :-D

lennyhb - 2011-06-30 8:39 PM

It looks lovely Mel, you took the chance and got away with but you might have come a cropper.

I often take the chance on width as we all know service vehicles usually get down these roads but the 2T weight limit would have had me worried.

You sneaked in whilst I was still typing my previous post! :D

We did find a lot of people in Ireland just didn't have a clue how to reverse their cars! They'd rather scrape their car on hedges, walls etc, than try to reverse back a few yards ... we usually ended up reversing instead.

As for ...

In Scotland went down a road with a 7' width restriction then got to a very narrow bridge with a 3T limit it was of a rickety wood construction and I promptly did a 20 point turn if I hadn't been able to turn I could have been reversing for a mile.

We like to take our camper to places that others fear to (take their) tread ... :-> That's why we have a Ford and not a new Fiat X250 ....

;-)

Hi Mel,
The 2T with red line through it, is for no trucks and nothing over 2T allowed while the road is been repaired , the 6' wide well the photos show why and the 24' length ,they know well anyone visiting would not be able to back up anyway,  (only joking),Some have steep,,,, no we won't go there,,,or say anything about juddering. after a few pints of the Blackstuff no one cares anyway.  Hope you had a lovely trip.
Regards,
Brendan

Mel B - 2011-06-30 8:55 PM

We like to take our camper to places that others fear to (take their) tread ... :-> That's why we have a Ford and not a new Fiat X250 ....

;-)

Apart from if you have a PVC where the Ford is a bit narrower but yours is a coachbuilt don't see what difference it makes unless you are referring to ground clearance the Fiat Camping chassis is a bit low.

Archived