Storing DVD movies electronically

JohnP

Can anyone recomment an electronic device (Make and model) for storing DVD movies. This is to save taking lots of discs away.

The unit must be capable of delivering a signal to a flat screen TV via phono leads. I think this subject came up months ago but cannot trace it using search

How much space do you think you will require ? This may seem simplistic but what about investing in a new laptop with large memory. All the Gamers use them so High Quality definition has to be good, you can view direct from laptop or use cables to connect to and play through a TV. Other possibility is a separate Hard Disc Drive (HDD), you could hold all your music on there as well (lol)

JohnP - 2011-06-28 8:38 PM

Can anyone recomment an electronic device (Make and model) for storing DVD movies. This is to save taking lots of discs away.

The unit must be capable of delivering a signal to a flat screen TV via phono leads. I think this subject came up months ago but cannot trace it using search

I did exactly what you want to do a few months ago. I bought a Media Player with a 1TB hard disk, this will takes movies, photos, music and data. I have put the majority of our DVDs on now using a piece of conversion software that converts the DVD to an AVI file, this is very time consuming but worth it in the end. The media player also has a SD card slot and connects to the computer using a USB cable (for transferring information), connects to the TV with either scart lead of phono leads.

Have a look at Maplins website and other websites searching for media player with hard drive. There are just media players on their own but thats not the one you want, it must have a hard disk inside. Hope that helps.

Randonneur - 2011-06-28 9:16 PM

I have put the majority of our DVDs on now using a piece of conversion software that converts the DVD to an AVI file

But surely you cannot just copy any DVD to a AVI format and store on your hard drive, aren't the vast majority of movies copy protected to stop people doing just that?

. . . . . unless you have a piece of software that bypasses the copyright of course 8-)

Way2Go - 2011-06-29 9:34 AM

My point was that I thought most 'modern' DVD movies were copy protected to pysically stop people copying them, whether it's for their own use or not.

As I said before most of our DVDs are old ones as we never seem to watch them at home, these are the ones we brought with us when we moved to France 10 years ago. The only 'modern' ones we have not transferred, these are the ones which have been bought for us as presents.

I came to the same conclusion John!

Instead of taking the DVDs away in their individual plastic sleeves/holders, get a CD case and put them in there, you'll get loads in and they take up very little space that way (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!).

It also means that if one of the DVDs gets scratched, you can still watch the rest of them, but if a hard-drive with them all on goes up the creek, you've lost the lot!

Way2Go - 2011-06-29 8:18 AM

But surely you cannot just copy any DVD to a AVI format and store on your hard drive, aren't the vast majority of movies copy protected to stop people doing just that?

. . . . . unless you have a piece of software that bypasses the copyright of course 8-)

Plenty of software out there to crack the copyright and most of it's free, technically illegal to do but who is going to bother you if you are only doing it for your own use.

Archived