speedo brightness

poppyh

Hi i drive a Swiftdance 580Pr 2008 and am having didifficulty seeing the speedo especially the km side when in Europe in the sunshine does anybody know or has something which will make the view of the speedo brighter

poppyh - 2011-06-29 1:57 PM

Hi i drive a Swiftdance 580Pr 2008 and am having didifficulty seeing the speedo especially the km side when in Europe in the sunshine does anybody know or has something which will make the view of the speedo brighter

Sunglasses *-)

Guest pelmetman
I had my speedo's confiscated by Sue!.................. they wern't that bright as my beer gut covered most of them 8-)

Hi .I had the same problem, I bought two small white LED daytime run self adhesive strip lights from Halfords.I made up an angled strip from a piece plasterboard edging, you could use plastic or wood of the correct angle.I stuck the lights to this, then screwed it into the front edge of the instrument cluster, so that it shone onto the display. I wired this at the back of the light switch to come on with the ignition, and fitted a small low resitance variable control on the side of the dashboard, wired in series, so that I could vary the brightness, works a treat. :-D

Brian B.

Guest pelmetman

I don't have a problem reading my speedo. :D ...................but 21 years ago they did things differently (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Progress eh?

Always had problems with the prveious motorhome speedo (older style Fiat), and could not read the KM at all. This one is (2007 X250) is a bit better, but still not adequate in this day of so many cameras and police checks. I find the Satnav 'live' readings (able to set to km for continental use) much better and also more accurate. I tend to relyon this morein the Uk also....it's much easier to read a proper 'figure' than a needle!

Always had problems with the prveious motorhome speedo (older style Fiat), and could not read the KM at all. This one is (2007 X250) is a bit better, but still not adequate in this day of so many cameras and police checks. I find the Satnav 'live' readings (able to set to km for continental use) much better and also more accurate. I tend to relyon this morein the Uk also....it's much easier to read a proper 'figure' than a needle!

I find that th only time I can read Kph on the a 2009 x250 is in a tunnel with the lights on !

I use the old fashioned method of a card with Kmph to MPH printed on it., after a few readings / conversions I found that I did not need it as the conversions stay in my head.

(with a little bit of help from the TT sat Nav speed warnings)

Rgds

poppyh - 2011-06-29 1:57 PM Hi i drive a Swiftdance 580Pr 2008 and am having didifficulty seeing the speedo especially the km side when in Europe in the sunshine does anybody know or has something which will make the view of the speedo brighter

I have the same trouble reading the red Km/h figures, and have difficulty reading the speed on the satnav, so printed out a quick visual aide for myself, with pictures of Km/h signs and their MPH equivalent alongside.

1959616484_Blizzdash.jpg.b9f5bf240c9a7a2a10f05e65716ea07e.jpg

Mel B - 2011-06-29 5:59 PM

I'd be interested in a solution to this as our Ford based speedo is difficult to read at any time!!!

This white overlay MIGHT make your Transit's speedometer easier to read:

http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/transit-dials-part-no-45nn-more-details-i5217.html

In the 1980s Vauxhall introduced a 'digital dashboard' for certain models of car. This had a bar-type rev-counter and a digital speedometer, with the latter being switchable between mph or kmh. I recall driving an Astra GTE with this dashboard and, although I wasn't too keen on the rev-counter read-out, the digital speedometer had clear advantages, particularly for people regularly travelling outside the UK. As others have said, I use the sat-nav for speed information rather than the Transit instrument.

Archived