camos dome

jemjem

Does anyone use a camos sat dome, we are considering buying one for our trip to europe end of april for 6 months,wondering how good they are as they are quite expensive. Also does anyone use internet when in europe and how?.

You need to post a message to D.A Burleigh on that pay forum as he has one on his Murvi (I think that is what it is) I use my Laptop in France together with my monile phone and GPRS to pick up emails via netmail. Expensive abroard but if you read the newspapers today one report says that "Roaming" charges are to be abolished by some EU directive. I will believe it when it happens! Good luck

The "other" site Dave Burleigh said" Picture quality - with digital this is more down to the receiver and the TV than anything to do with the dish, LNB and controller. Provided the dish has sufficient capture area and it and the LNB are engineered well, you will get above the threshold signal to receive digital. But, yes, I have no problems with signal strength from the CAMOS. In terms of geography I have so far used it in heavy rain as far North and West as Portree in the Isle of Skye, but only South into Normandy so far. If you look at the Astra footprints you will see that the former turns out to be pretty good performance for a dish of that size. Mine was fitted by Murvi. £1800 is indeed their fitted price. Alan - yes of course you don't NEED to pay that much. For years I used a stand-alone 80cm dish on a tripod. I wouldn't claim to have got it down to 5 mins, but it is a very acceptable solution for many. Dave Does that answer your questions?

The Camos dome does seem to stick up a long way. OK if height isn't a problem, but make sure you update your min low bridge in metres and feet (and put it on the dash for a while). Many foreign ferries charge by height as well as length, but I guess if you can afford near £2,000 to watch TV, who cares?

How far into europe are you going to go the 30cm dome works ok into france, we had a 30cm on our motorhome but as we are going further afield we have upgraded to an 85cm dish with auto skew. Camos do a static dome which is much cheaper, I searched google when I bought mine and found some super deals stitch

"I could put up direct links to the "other" site but that,s naughty!" Clive, Why? It all seems rather childish when it should be nothing more than simple courtesy. They were the links I gave you. If something about MHF sticks in your (or MMM's? I don't know) craw, you could have pointed to the Roadpro link I also gave you (and who had no such hangups over acknowledging MHF's existence). Dave

As usual, you live in a warped world of your own, Clive. You might not see it my way, but unless I get a genuine apology from Warners for poaching intellectual property from another website to whom I gave EXPLICIT rights to publish, I will escalate matters, for that is theft of intellectual property in law and I can demand compensation through the small claims court. I gave you links to published material, not permission for Warners to publish MY intellectual property. Sounds like your "Mother website" is out of control to me. Someone needs to get a grip of it. Dave

Hi Dave, I seem to have unintentionally touched a nerve here! At the risk of going "off topic" let me explain. I am a simple soul. I emailed you asking for information on the camos Dome for someone on the MMM forum specifically saying I would post in on here. You emailed me back the links to this information. I copied the information that you directed me towards in its entirety, including your name as author and posted it as an answer with due credits to yourself. All in the spirit of helping fellow motorhomers. If you did not want me to do this then it was not made clear in your reply email. Regards Clive.

Clive, It is very simple. I gave MHF and Roadpro explicit permission to publish the material. I forwarded references to that published material and all you had to do was supply those references to whomsoever could benefit. But for some reason which I still cannot fathom, despite your supposed analogy to Vauxhall and Ford, you instead chose to publish the raw material on a Warners website with no permission. Intellectual Property and copyright applies to internet publishing the same as for magazine publishing. I wonder what would happen if I published, distributed and sold a magazine, purely to "help fellow motorhomers" you understand, with copy merely lifted from MMM without Warner's permission? Dave

Clive, A better analogy would be: 1) A motorhomer asks me a question that is answered comprehensively in MMM. 2) I could refer him or her to the relevant issue and page(s). This would be legal. 3) Or I could scan the pages and email the raw material. This would be illegal. 4) Guess which you did and which, so far, Warners have allowed to continue on their website? When such temptations occur on MHF, this practice is clamped down upon immediately. What is Warners' policy on the matter, because their approach appears to be different? Dave

Archived