Motorhome alarms

Brian Kirby

I am trying to decide whether to buy or not.  I am drawn towards Vanbitz Strikeback T.

I should much appreciate any information/advice others can give on their experiences with this alarm in particular, or alarms generally.

Have you suffered an attempted break in that was thwarted by your alarm?  How was entry attempted: i.e. door, window, etc?

Has your 'van been broken into?

If so, did you have an alarm?  How did the robber actually get in: i.e. door, window etc?  Do you have any idea why your alarm didn't put the burglar off?

Has your 'van actually been broken into while you slept?  If so, did the alarm fail, or did it merely fail to wake you?

Does anyone have the Vanbitz Devil's Wail internal siren fitted?  If so, do you a) have experience of it being triggered while you were asleep inside or b) know that someone has got into your van despite the external siren, but then been repulsed by this additional siren?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi Brian. We had Strikeback fitted, last year, not got the Devils wail, but had extra sirens, they are loud enough to wake the dead, plus when they get out lf synch or should it be into synch they soud just like a Police siren, it also looks like a Christmas tree with all the lights going. Also has red LEDS on dash and in front bumper also rear light. We went to Taunton to have it fitted nice free camp site, also courtesey bus into Taunton. Fitted within about 6 hours. As far as we are aware it has not been set off in anger.If it is you can tell by the sequence of flashes of the LEDS as to which section of the alarm was triggred. We also have a loop fitted, this has a secret switch. The Alarm works on radio frequency, and the sensor is somewhere under the dash. Email Geoff Harper, he will give you all the info you need will also send a load of bumpf. We sleep with the alarm on if we are in a Service area etc, gives us peace of mind. David

Hi Brian, I had a Vanguard alarm, similiar to Strikeback, on my last van. Whilst parked on a very busy site at Fuegirola in February 04 the van was broken into by forcing a window, lots of gear and cash stolen and exit through another window. No one heard or saw anything. The site was full, mainly winter sun seekers from all over Europe and security was evident 24 hours a day. I knew as soon as I used the remote that something was wrong because the light flashing sequence was wrong and the that the system had activated. On my new van I have a Sigma fitted. My best advice would be :- 1. Have a good alarm e.g. Strikeback, fitted. 2. Have good insurance. 3. Be very careful about where you park up, even on sites. 4. Don't take any personal / sentimental items with you that you can't replace. Rodger

Hi Brian, I had a Van Bitz alarm on my last van and I have a Sigma fitted to my current van. I had the Sigma fitted at the dealers on delivery. Sigma alarms are standard fit on Hymer so I thought that would be a mark of quality, so far no problems but if I could have been bothered with another trip to get it fitted I'd have gone for the Van Bitz. I had the Devils Wail fitted and it's awesome the noise it makes. Whatever make you go for my advise is to have an external LED warning light which comes on when the alarm is set. It's just another detterent and you can't have too many. I'm not sure of the current Van Bitz set up but the Sigma has a key pad code system which I find a pain and not really neccessary so if the Van Bitz doesn't have it that is a further plus in my opinion. Van Bitz back up is excellent and you will get a discount on your insurance from most companies. I've never had a break in with the alarm systems fitted but perhaps the LED's and warning signs persuade the thieves to try elsewhere. There's no way you would sleep through any of the alarms I've had fitted. Bill Ord

Hi Brian I had a Vanbitz Strikeback alarm fitted to my Compass Drifter but unfortunately thieves still stole it from the carpark where I live. They got in through one of the side windows. Nobody heard the alarm go off there was a pair of pliars on the ground where the van was, so we assumed they somehow disarmed it. Somebody said they saw it being taken away on a breakdown truck. Iwould say that it would deter the casual thief but a professional would probably get by anything. mike.b

Had Van Bitz on the last 'van (Mobilvetta Euroyacht) with Devil's Wail siren. The thieves entered via the large garage compartment door (10cent locks like most motorhomes/caravans that can be 'unlocked' with any normal screwdriver). The alarm went off and so did they - instantly. The 'van was parked behind our house, it was the early hours am and, by the time I got down there with clothes on, there was no sign of them. So it worked. Mike, yours was obviously a professional 'stolen to order' job, but, even so, getting round a Van Bitz system without it ever going off is no mean trick. They obviously knew the system very well!

Mike

Thanks for your reply to my alarms query. Sorry to hear about the 'van. Did you get it back?

I ask, because you say someone saw it on a breakdown truck, no one heard the alarm, and you assume they got in through a window.

Under the circumstances I just wonder of the broke in at the car park at all. If they'd just jacked the rear wheels onto dollies, they could have winched it onto the wrecker, taken it somewhere nice and quiet, and then broken "gently" and tackled the alarm.

Unless you had a tilt switch fitted, all that would have achievable without activating the alarm at the car park, and anyone seeing them would have assumed your 'van had broken down!

Thanks again for the reply.

Rodger

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry to hear about the break-in. 

What you say, is what I've been wondering about.  If the van looks alarmed, I'd guess it's relatively easy to snoop round to see if the windows have sensors or not.  If not, force one and stick your head in.  If nothing else happens, you're in: if it does, you scarper!

Were you parked towards the edge of the site, so that the robber could get in and out on the "blind" side of the van?  Still seems odd that he/she triggered the alarm and no one saw anything.  Possibly the robber was another camper, or a member of the site staff, and didn't stand out as a stranger.  Who knows?

However, that's another thing I was interested in.  No one reacts to car alarms anymore, mainly because there are so many false alarms.  Insects inside, partially open windows, cats jumping up, naughty children rocking the vehicle, slipstreams etc etc.  I had wondered if a motorhome alarm might get a similar lack of response.

Very annoying for you, though.  I hope the insurance at least replaced what was replaceable!

Brian K, There was an extensive discussion on this very topic only a month or so ago - a search back will bring the results. I recommend contacting Van Bitz (ad in MMM for number) and asking for their documentation. They'll send you a night's pleasant reading including a menu of the things you can have in your alarm. Ours had: - remote radio activated arming and disarming system (i.e., no keypad) - entry contact breakers on every door and the large compartment and the engine bonnet - extra loud siren - internal movement sensor (the alarm can be set from inside the 'van in a way that disarms this feature alone so you have a night-time perimeter alarm - glass brekage sensor (deals with breaking a window to get at the system to disarm it) - an optional plug-in loop to go around a trailer tow frame so the alarm goes off if anyone tries to steal your trailer. There are lots of other options including automatically calling your mobile phone or setting off a pager (if the alarm goes off while you're in the supermarket, for example). The new vehicle has its own alarm system complete with all the things listed above except the trailer option (don't need it any more) and the glass brakage sensor, but including the perimeter alarm which turns off the internal motion sensor. I consulted Van Bitz and they honestly said that they couldn't add to it and it wasn't woth my while to replace it with their own.

David

Thanks.  I've already got the all details etc.  I just wanted to find out a bit more about how well they work in practice.  I'm being advised against having the internal siren deactivated along with the internal sensor, when in night-time mode, which is what I had wanted to do.

The stated (Vanbitz's) purpose of the internal siren is to disorient and drive out an intruder.  I don't feel I want to be treated that way, and jerked awake by 127 dB, in the middle of the night!  Heart, and attack, come to mind!

I think I'd wake OK with just the external siren going, and would probably leave that going while I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, put on some clothes, and worked out how to respond.  With the internal siren going as well, I think I'd have to turn the lot off just so I could think, which might be unwise (turning it off, that is: hmmmm - well, you pays your money!), or just get outside, which might be even more unwise!

Thanks again

Thanks for the quick response Mel.  As you've probably read by now, I've got the bumf from Vanbitz.  Yes, I did see the earlier string.  It was what really got me thinking.  That's where I became interested in other peoples' experiences of the alarms in operation.

Being a bit of a Jerimiah, I suppose, but I was slightly suspicious as to how useful some of those bells and whistles really are! 

What did strike me as odd, was that they don't fit sensors on the windows.  Once the doors are alarmed you'd think the next obvious "soft" target would be the windows and their mickeymouse catches! 

I know the internal sensor would respond to intrusion, but presumably not until after the window had been forced open.  I'd prefer the alarm to trigger during the attempt on a window, hopefully before too much damage was done, rather than post hoc.  I'll be asking Vanbitz about that in due course.

Does anyone know of metal replacement window catches that are a bit stronger than the standard plastic variety?  Brass, stainless steel, aluminium?  You'd think there would be quite a demand, especially if they had a locking button on the cockspur handle.

Thanks again.

For an alarm you really need the basics which are: interior movement detectors that don't have blind spots - ie if you only have them at the front, which is where they are usually put, do they really 'detect' at the back or behind the rear seat backrests? You'll also need sensors to: both cab doors the caravan door the bonnet any external lockers that allow access to the interior of the 'van The next question is where else do you need these sensors? You could put them on ALL the windows, assuming you can cable them all in without a problem. You then need to think about all the roof lights, do you also put sensors on these? Do you just do the big Heki, or do you also do the smaller 40mm standard ones? You can go on and on and you'd have wires all over the place! I doubt whether it would look very nice either!!! If they did start fitting much stronger window catches it would deter them more but probably all that would happen is that some of them would come along with their little cordless drills and make little holes all around them, it may take more time, but some burglars would do this if time permitted, and you could end up with even more damage than if they just forced the handle, such as needing new a new window, and they'd still get in. The internal motion sensors really do work if they are set up right, we know 'cause our dogs have set them off quite easily when we've forgotten to disarm them! If you do have pets make sure it is easy to turn the internal sensors off, some are quite complicated and some can't be turned off at all - when we were looking for a system, the one from a very big dealership in Lincolnshire had a system where turning off the internal sensors was nigh on impossible! It was most annoying at the time as we were being offered a very good discount on it. I don't know if they are still selling the same system now. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Mel.

Agreed re the sensors as listed.  I'll still explore what can be done about sensors for the windows, though.  The plastic is quite tough, but the catches do look very weak.  One good pull with your fingers, certainly with any kind of lever, and I'm sure they'd just pop open.

The problem then is you've probably got a window you can't secure properly, and worse, looks insecure, when you're half way through your holiday.  Might be an adventure seeking out a local dealership but, on the whole, one I'd sooner avoid if possible.  Sensors that trigger the alarm when the window is first attacked remain my favourite, if possible.

We've got some supplementary locks on the cab doors that aren't apparent, or within reach, from outside.  They can only be locked/unlocked from within (not used while occupied) so you'd have to actually climb in through the window.  If you did that, the alarm would trigger, so I'm not too bothered about that means of entry.  Sevel glass should be relatively easy to get, if necessary.

No pets, no Heki, so just the 400mm rooflights, but you'd have to get onto the roof.  Quite possible to do for an agile youth, but not really inconspicuous.  However, as with the cab windows, entry would trigger the alarm so again, not my highest priority.

If a rooflight was forced it would probably get damaged and would probably be difficult to replace on holiday, but should temporarily repair with gaffer tape without being too obvious as a weak spot.

Therefore, I'm inclined not to try to do the rooflights.  As you say, too much complexity, too many wires.  I think all we can really hope for is to put off the casual thief.  If a more professional thief really wants in, he'll get there in the end although, if a vehicle looks alarmed, he'll probably look for a softer target first.  The pros normally want in and out quickly, with more than one easy way out, and a minimal chance of detection.  If it's the whole vehicle they're after, they'll come prepared and I'm afraid they'll probably succeed!

Has anyone broken into your 'van, or damaged it in the attempt?  By the way, were the scrolling suggestions any good?

Thanks again

Hello Brian I have had the sigma alarm fitted for three months now in my opinion it is the choice for security because 1/ it states it is for commercial use 2/ it is thatcham approved, they only approve decent alarm system which meet certain criteria 3/ if some one steals my keys the vehicle will not start with out the pin code, I had the key pad mounted in the top right corner for easy access 4/ It protects all of the lockers, has internal motion sensing, an additional siren and external led 5/ nearly all of the major motorhome dealers fit this system, with thier combined knowledge there must be a reason for that. I did not get it from a dealer as they charge too much, shopping around the price quoted varied greatly but it does pay to get someone local. sorry I cannot coment on other makes as I do not have any experience but speaking to various insurance companies they all said thatcham approved. Hope this helps stitch

The Van Bitz system is Thatcham approved for commercial chassis. It is also purpose designed for motorhomes by people who know, use and understand motorhomes. I am sure the sigma system is also good, but my understanding is that it is a system designed for commercial vehicles. What dealers fit may have more to do with how easy it is to get an agency and what the margin is. Because they choose to recommend system A rather than B is no guarantee that A is best.

Thank you all for your information.  I'm relieved so few (apparently) have actually experienced breakins.

I think Vanbitz has it!  It claims to be designed for motorhomes, the brochure confirms they know the demands of motorhoming, and they have a new agency 9 miles from where I live.

Regards to all

Hi Brian Yes I was on a corner pitch alongside a road. The pitch was about 1.5 meters below the road with a chain link fence along the top. The fence was in very poor condition, but I originally did not feel concerned because it would have been very difficult to climb down. Following the break in, the site owner put up extra fencing. However both the site owner and I twere suspicious of the English occupants of two nearby caravans ! For the next couple of nights more people used their exterior alarms and often forget to disarm them before opening their doors. So alarms going off frequently and all ignored. Rodger

Hi Brian The reason I thought they got in through the window was there was a corner of it broken off on the floor. The system had a movement sensor fitted which I know works because our dog set it off on the odd occasion I forgot to deactivate it. No I never got it back but Saga did us proud on the payout and we have a very nice replacement van.

Brian, we had our strikeback alarm fitted via outdoor bits website and they gave us an extra fitted battery master free as well to stop our battery going flat all the time. Might be worth trying that approach as well

[QUOTE]Mel E - 2006-04-01 11:52 AM The Van Bitz system is Thatcham approved for commercial chassis. It is also purpose designed for motorhomes by people who know, use and understand motorhomes. I am sure the sigma system is also good, but my understanding is that it is a system designed for commercial vehicles. What dealers fit may have more to do with how easy it is to get an agency and what the margin is. Because they choose to recommend system A rather than B is no guarantee that A is best.[/QUOTE] reply I did not go to a dealer as they charge premium rates, mine was also cheaper than the afore mentioned The van bitz system is a system designed for commercial vehicles, then enhanced for a motorhome as is my sigma. The van bitz website concludes that you should have an LV approved alarm. If I gave you they keys to my van you would not be able to drive it as it has pin code also !! I have been on the Thatcham website and cannot find the listing for van bitz alarm only one that was de-listed in 99 can you help?

Hello Brian We have been broken into once about 5 years ago overnight while on our own drive alongside our bedroom wall at 3.00am in the morning. It had we think a sigma alarm with sensors inside & although the alarm went off we did not hear it. It did however wake my neighbours 12 year old daughter who looked out of her window & watched what went on. Poor girl didnt know what to do & didnt tell her mum till thye morning. The neighbour rang us immediately & we contacted the police who really didnt want to know. The van was Autosleepers Clubman which had the slider windows. The thief got in by banging the slider window a couple of times and it opened. He had gloved hands. . He was only inside briefly & then left the same way but didnt close the window fully. He had gone through all the lockers except kitchen ones. We never kept anything of value in it while not in use & the only item we have missed since & we assume had been left inside the van in error was a voice recorder cum radio. We never went away in that van again. The next van had additional microwave sensors protecting all the opening windows and we just cant remember the name of it or of the chap who fitted it but he came from the ringwood area & travelled to the van to fit. If anyone knows the name of a similar security system I would love to know of it. Motorhomer

Archived