Diesel Theft

Dr Dave

Hi

As some of you will know we have purchased a Chausson Flash 04 a 59 reg but a 2010 model on a Transit 140ps Base, we are more than pleased with the package. However we have only had it for 4 weeks and have become victims to Diesel theft. With the transit base its so easy for the pond life to do. Forget the locking fuel cap they seem to remove these in an instant and then they can syphon the contents of your tankwith ease. We park our van within 9" of the wall and they still did it, the police say they have lots of incidents like this so everyone be aware. As a temporary measure i have purchased a small battery powered door alarm that just fits at the top of the fuel apature with the activating magnet stuck to the plastic flap, i know its rudimentary but at least you can hear when the low life strike. we live in the Mansfield area and would be interested to hear if this is widespread.

Dave

Whether it is or isn't widespread, there are Police notices in a number of the local (Mansfield) Filling Stations to the effect that it is rife.

I'll have to have a word with the Merry Men, just in case (though they won't normally go into Mansfield - far too rough for them ;-) - so it probably isn't them doing a bit of "moonlighting").

there is a company called vetus, who make an anti theft device, it is like a plastic insert that you insert in your filler pipe, and you cant get a hose in to syphon out, but you can still fill up ok, i have one fitted on my boat and they are very good, just google vetus, and then search for anti syphon device, good luck.

Thanks for the info guys these were the police recomendations.

• Consider parking your vehicle with the fuel-filler close to a wall.

• Purchase a locking fuel cap.

• Review your parking security measures – are you parked near CCTV? Is the area well lit? Can you leave your vehicle somewhere more secure?

• Wherever possible, leave work vehicles in a secure compound.

• If you have a vehicle alarm, use it.

My van was 8" from the wall.

It had a locking Fuel Cap.

The Flap now has an alarm. (I know Horse & Bolted)

Apparantly if they cant get the cap off they puncture the tank and get the fuel that way.

It seems you cant win lets hope they catch the low life soon and give them a good telling off. No punishment because you cant punish criminals any more.

Dave

I have also had my fuel cap stolen and then my motorhome the cap key was the same for the ignition.

The keys can be sourced Fiat said no but i know different.

so if you have the same key for the cap and ignition change it immediately.

you could fit a alam switch to the flap wiring would be taken from the exsisting alarm switch on the nearside door.

when flap opened alarm is triggered not hard to do but a electrician would easily do it if not sure.

I agree a well lit area security lights or dont fill the tank untill you want to use it.

Archived