Eberspacher Airtronic D2 diesel heater

Sussex

Has anyone any experience of voltage drop issues in Auto-Sleepers campervans?

I took my 2004 van in to Shepherds of Windermere to have the Eberspacher Airtronic D2 tested as it would not fire up in the mornings when wild camping, but would in the evenings after a long run. They said the unit was fine but there was a low voltage issue and that despite me having 2 X 85 ah leisure batteries on board the voltage dropped when the unit was firing up and heating the glow plug so that the voltage dropped to 9.8 volts, below the 10.5 volt cut-out of the Eberspacher. They suggested replacing one of the two leisure batteries with a standard car battery to give the umph to get the Eberspacher working.

I have however also read some info on the Internet that sugests that the wiring to the heater, as installed by AS, is inadequate and it is this that is causing the problem and that some owners have had AS upgrade the wiring which has solved the problem. Can anyone help?

Sussex - 2011-07-02 8:47 AM

Has anyone any experience of voltage drop issues in Auto-Sleepers campervans?

I took my 2004 van in to Shepherds of Windermere to have the Eberspacher Airtronic D2 tested as it would not fire up in the mornings when wild camping, but would in the evenings after a long run. They said the unit was fine but there was a low voltage issue and that despite me having 2 X 85 ah leisure batteries on board the voltage dropped when the unit was firing up and heating the glow plug so that the voltage dropped to 9.8 volts, below the 10.5 volt cut-out of the Eberspacher. They suggested replacing one of the two leisure batteries with a standard car battery to give the umph to get the Eberspacher working.

I have however also read some info on the Internet that sugests that the wiring to the heater, as installed by AS, is inadequate and it is this that is causing the problem and that some owners have had AS upgrade the wiring which has solved the problem. Can anyone help?

Hi,

I don't have an Auto sleeper but I've had the D2 in my Timberland for the last 8 years.

I have two 100 amp leisure batteries and have never had a problem starting or running.

When the D2 was new I spoke to a Eberspacher tech who advised not to have it serviced but just let it run. I followed that advice, most people I know of who have had problems have had the the D2 serviced.

Don

With any voltage drop issue it is invariably the wiring or connections from the battery to the load that causes the issue as can be confirmed by testing the terminal voltage of the batteries when the load is connected this should be 12volts or more. The gauge (thickness of the wire will the issue especially on long runs) the eberspatcher will take about 4 amps when starting. i would suggest voltage readings at the battery then at the load any difference is caused by voltage drop in the wiring. replace with thicker gauge wire if there is any major difference ie: over 0.5 volt.

Hope this helps

Dave I think you either have one or both batteries faulty try removing one battery and test your heater then try the other battery the cable runs are fairly short battery condition is more than likely the cause

Alf

I don't know about the Autosleeper set up but I have read of inadequate wiring issues on 'pre Swift' Autocruises. I used to have a similar problem to yours on my Autocruise and I did upgrade the wiring to the Eber but some time later my leisure battery proved to be defective. I replaced it and have had no further problems with the Eber firing.

It sounds to me as though you are draining your batteries during the evening / overnight to the extent that they won't provide enough voltage for the Eber either because they, or one of them, is defective or you are using more power than they can provide.

I did find that me Eber would fail to fire when the voltage dropped to about 11 volts but, in my non-expert opinion your batteries must be pretty low even if they gave the required 10.5 volts to the Eber.

Just one other thing: if your batteries are as supplied to your 'van when new, they are at least six years old now. Do you now how old they are?

Harvey

Archived