Stansted Airport Parking

Brian

Our motor caravan is an AS Harmony, chosen for it's compactness and other features. It is based on the Peugeot Boxer short wheelbase van and is 4.97m long, 2.03m wide (mirrors folded) and 1.9m high. It will fit in most standard parking bays. We are flying from Stansted for a week's holiday and decided to stay on a nearby site to avoid a long early drive. Having booked a parking space in the Pink Elephant car park, I thought it best to check with BAA that the dimensions were OK. The website says that there is no height barrier and the van is similar in length and width to many 4x4s so I thought it would not be a problem. However, BAA have said 'Unfortunately, the car park wouldn't allow you to park a caravan of that size in the car park. It would only allow cars that fit into a normal car park space.' I am surprised at this and would appreciate comments. I cannot find anywhere the size of the parking bays at Stansted or the maximum vehicle dimensions that are allowed. Perhaps someone knows what they are or has parked a motor caravan at Stansted.

Never parked a Motorhome, but regularly parked a peugeot 406 Estate. They are very tight for that and what is more there is difficult access i.e. tight turns on some entry and definately some exits, very easy to clip the curbs. Also there is a high risk of body damage from luggage trolleys, I know to my cost. Personally I would not evan consider parking a motorhome in there from my experience. That information refers to the short term parking, only flying to Scotland for one or two day meetings. I don't think that the long term bays are any different in size though.

I know someone who stayed at a bed and breakfast near Stanstead where part of the deal was that they could leave their vehicle at the B&B and get a lift to the airport. The B&B had a large parking area and worked out cheaper than a hotel and Pink Elephant parking.

For general info, the best way at GATWICK is to spend the night at the Gatwick Worth Hotel (reasonably priced) and that includes free parking and a free shuttle bus. We usually find that either the out or return trip requires a hotel night anyway, especially with the ludicrous checkin times now required on charter or long-haul flights - add a travel safety margin and you've got to aim to be at the airport 3 hours ahead of departure.

I have recently parked my AS Harmony in a standard supermarket bay - it measured 4.8m x 2.4m and fitted OK without overhang but width would be tight with a car either side. I cannot think that airport parking bays are any smaller. I also checked the AS brochure and it gives the Harmony dimensions as 4.867m x 2.180m (mirrors folded). These are different to the AS Manual. The length includes the rear step.

This time last year we went to Venice for our anniversary and flew from Stanstead. We opted for the Stanstead Hilton for the first night as it was a special occasion, cost us nearly £100 but we got secure parking for up to 15 days. Stanstead Hilton is the worst Hotel I've ever stayed in, totally no atmosphere, overpriced food and drink and the most uncomfortable bed I've never slept in! Rest of the holiday was fantastic though. We were in a car but the parking bays were big enough for a motorhome, just a shame that the hotel is so bad and so expensive. D.

• 4 weeks later...
There were several motor caravans, vans and large cars in the Pink Elephant car park, some of which overhung the bays a bit. The bay dimensions are 2.4 m x 4.5 m, slightly less in length than a standard 4.8 m bay.

Archived