weight of 1999 pilote galaxy 270

michael72

weight of 1999 pilote galaxy 270  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A 1999 Pilote Galaxy 270 would have been available with a MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) of 3500kg or 3850kg. Pilote's contemporary brochure quoted an 'empty' weight (+/- 5%) of 3025kg for both versions and that figure included weight allowances for a full water tank (150 litres) a 90%-full fuel tank and one 13kg-capacity (French) gas bottle.

The 3500kg version would have been aimed primarily at the French motorhome market (with its 3500kg driving-licence norm), but it would have been commonplace for UK-marketed G-270s to have a 3850kg MAM to provide a useful payload upgrade.

The G-270 was built on an AL-KO chassis, so there may well be two VIN-plates - one for the Fiat (or Peugeot) base-vehicle and another relating to the replacement AL-KO chassis. In such a case, it's the AL-KO VIN-plate that counts.

• 3 years later...

Hello all, I've just joined the site.

I'm interested in buying a Pilote Galaxy 270, 1999 with a MAM of 3850kg. As I'm over 70, I 'm concerned about my driving licence not having C1 category. The D4 form seems very extensive and complicated and I'm wondering if I should consider down rating the MAM to 3500kg.

Has anyone thoughts on this?

First, look into getting your (assumed) C1+E category reinstated. It may cost a bit for the medical and eye test - but far less than getting a van that you can't use to maximum advantage. If the answer to the licence is that you are restricted to 3,500kg, consider very carefully before getting a heavier van down plated.

You will immediately lose 350kg of payload on the van you are considering. Depending on your travel plans, that may be manageable, it may mean travelling (for example) with water tank empty (or nearly so) or it may mean you can't make the remaining payload work.

The problem with any used van is that previous owners may have added heavy items such as additional habitation batteries, wind out awnings, solar panels, sat dishes, bike racks etc etc, all of which will further erode that payload.

If buying from a dealer, get it weighed empty. At least that will give you a starting point for calculating what you will have. If buying privately, ask the present owner if he will drive it to a weighbridge if you pay. Make sure you get a proper, recorded, damp check carried uot before you buy, and also check the ages of the tyres. It is generally recommended that tyres over 7 years old (some say 5 years) should be replaced (including spare).

Archived