Winter Sun

david lloyd

Hi everyone,

It is some ten years since I spent some of the winter months in Spain (near Almeria) but due to a change in circumstances it looks like we may be able to spend a few months in the sun this winter.

Last time I just headed south and, before falling into the sea, found a campsite in the CC Europe book and stayed there. I was reasonably fortunate and found it to be comfortable, in a good location and reasonable prices for a long stay.

This time I have been thinking about the CC or C&CC winter sun holiday sites brochures or their various rally sites but wondered how others went about it.

Book through one of the clubs or venture out on your own?

Any good suggestions for Spain or Portugal?

David

I have toured Spain extensively and spent the last two winters there. It is a huge country with a tremendous variety of places to visit. My advice go to

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/

We tend to use these sites and can thoroughly recommend them. Also try

http://en.campings.com/spain/camping-spain.htm

http://www.campings.net/Espana/

That should be a good start :-D

Roy Fuller

You may find the ACSI discount card and book of sites very useful too - there are masses of sites that take the ACSI card throughout the most of the year (usually apart from peak season) in France, Spain and Portugal.

I guess you'll want the 2011 version, as the 2010 version ceases to be valid after 31.12.10.

Once you are down here, talking to others is a good way of discovering wild-camp spots too.

Of course, to avoid the worst of the winter weather, you'd ideally want to hug the Med coast and not go too far inland.

Thanks Roy and BGD

I do have the ACSI book for this year from an earlier trip to france but I recall from my last winter trip that many sites offer substantial discounts for stays of 30+ nights?

You are right in thinking we will want to stay around the Med although Portugal was also on our 'perhaps' list - maybe Albufiera?

I think we are leaning more towards going it alone rather than an organised rally with the general idea of staying at selected sites for four or five weeks then moving on a bit. Still not sure when to go either. But don't want to get caught out in really bad weather on the way down.

David

Hi David

For the last couple of years we have been to Spain & Portugal for 2-3 months. We have tried to take advantage of both the C&CC winter rallies and the ACSI book. Last year we spent a fortnight at both the Castilo de Banos and Benidorm rallies and the rest of the time at various ACSI sites, this gave us the best of both worlds- company & organised activity if you want, do your own thing if you don't. We will look to do the same again this year. Some of the acsi sites are excellent and are also used by the C&CC as rally sites. We find that when you are away for a while you need to go on a rally in order to get a fresh supply of paperbacks to exchange.

Bob

Thank you Dave and Bob

Bob - ten years ago there didn't seem much of a problem moving on and finding available spaces - we may do as you suggest and match the use of ACSI sites with a stay at one of the rallies.

Travelling as late as January did you find any difficulty in in pitch availability? Did you encounter any bad weather on the way down?

I ask this as last time it was January 2nd when I crossed to Le Havre and then enjoyed spendid sunny (but frosty) days all the way down. A bit of heavy rain over the mountains but nothing more serious to contend with. You can imagine my surprise after settling down to enjoy the sun on the site at Almeria and speaking to a guy who arrived several days after and had been caught out with six inches of snow overnight at Madrid!

We don't really mind the weather but would avoid seriously bad stuff if we could.

David

Spent a few days at the temporary holiday site at Pateley Bridge this weekend and met a nice couple who live in Spain and tour UK May to September in their Spanish registered motorhome. Coincidentally, they have a camperstop too which he gave me details of and which we may very well visit.

His view was that the area around Murcia and up to Valencia usually has the best climate over winter. Many of the larger sitres, especially on the coast, are very busy with many having organised rallies by our own major clubs but also with many Dutch, German and French clubs too.

As a result, he feels the best value and the quietest sites are just a bit further inland and, for touring, either camperstops or ACSI sites offer the best value.

So we are settling on the Murcia region but need good suggestions from anyone who has enjoyed particular campsites in the area or other places to stop. It would be nice to be near to a small town or large village though as we no longer cycle or walk very far (bits seizing upo and falling off - you know). We have the ACSI book and CC Europe too so can look up any suggestions from these.

Additionally, we are thinking of purchasing a freezer box to supplement the small freezer in our PVC fridge. Not a three way one but perhaps 12v/240v version - any ideas anyone?

David

The C&CC do a long winter rally at La Manga, (Murcia area) we managed to catch the end this year and found them very friendly. It is a large rally (150) so you do not feel obliged to join in if you do not want to, they do organise quite a bit which is nice to while away the long tedious hours in the sun!!!!

The site is long and thin if you look on google map you will get a good idea, about a mile in length. There is a good bar at one end and satisfactory shop at the end which we did not find overly expensive.

There are the normal Boulez pitches, with table tennis, racket sports, crazy golf take your own equipment there is no charge.

I understand it is advisable to book this in advance and the rate is good, they do a package to include a ferry if desired.

There are other rallies in Spain that you might be interested in looking at all for a fair length of time, some people rally hop and with much envy we looked at those going on to Portugal for a month.

We did see info on other sites all seemed to offer discount for over 90 days stay and 120 days stay.

We also meet a couple who had arranged their trip them selves and who joined in with the rally if there was space available, next year they will be booking with the rally.

The problem with Spain is that without the ACSI card you usually have to stay at least 30 days to achieve a daily rate of below 15€. Not many places on the coast are really open in the winter, so that you probably will get bored well before the 30 days are over.

For that reason I would suggest Benidorm where everything runs all year and the cost of eating out can be little more than staying in, especially if you like Chinese food. There are not too many lager louts there in the winter.

For touring Portugal is much better as you usually only need to stay a few days to get the cheapest winter rates. We once spent a night there for 75 pence including electric, although that site at Castelo Branco has since been upgraded.

The problem with Portugal and south western Spain is that if you are unlucky you can get a lot of rain, although most winters are sunny with higher night time temperatures than the Costas.

You can check out all the Portuguese campsites including details of winter prices here:

http://www.roteiro-campista.pt/frame-geral-parques-uk.htm

Guest pelmetman
Are there any sites open in winter, that are within walking distance of Benidorm and accept dogs:D 

The two closest to the seafront which take dogs are La Torreta and Raco which are both owned by the same family. La Torreta is the older and more relaxed of the two whereas Raco is more regimented and smart but IMHO attracts less friendly people. Maybe like comparing the Caravan and Camping Club with the Caravan Club. La Torreta is closer to the seafront and entertainment, but there is a cycle track between them.

http://www.campinglatorreta.com/?lang=en

http://www.campingraco.com/en/

Unless you only want to meet other Brits, I would not book one of the rallies. Half the interest when you winter abroad can come from making friends from all over Europe.

There should be no need now to book anywhere in advance, as for the past 3 or 4 years even the most popular sites have had good pitches available in January, whereas that was quite a problem previously.

I would suggest you park up outside a site you may be interested in and have a good look round before deciding whether to stay there. You can then probably ask people whether the satellite TV really works or if the wifi is other than useless, which can often be the case if the ISP is Telefonica.

david lloyd - 2011-07-05 3:36 PM..........................I ask this as last time it was January 2nd when I crossed to Le Havre and then enjoyed spendid sunny (but frosty) days all the way down. A bit of heavy rain over the mountains but nothing more serious to contend with. You can imagine my surprise after settling down to enjoy the sun on the site at Almeria and speaking to a guy who arrived several days after and had been caught out with six inches of snow overnight at Madrid!.............................David

Boy Scout motto David: be prepared! :-) It will be winter, and weather is weather. If you avoid booking sites and take things as they come, you can easily hole-up somewhere if you really have to en route. The west coast routes down through France should be milder than almost any of the others. However, on minor roads even around Bordeaux there are a surprising number of signs warning of ice, so nothing guaranteed. Central Spain also has a reputation for occasional very severe weather, and also for very cold weather. Finding available water seems to be most peoples problem, many supply points are either off, or frozen. Travel with a full tank and dump grey waste as often as possible.

I think if in doubt, head straight down to the Med border with Spain (Perpignan) rather than via Biscay (Biarritz), and then down past Barcelona etc. along the Mediterranean coast. Then cruise the sites looking for one you like. Some are real dumps, and are not convenient for shops etc if weather is bad.

Got refillable gas cylinders? :-)

This was our favourite route to the Costa Blanca, stopping at St Maure de Tourraine Aire and the closed camping at St Jean Pied de Port on the way.

Edit: The screenshot was too large to post, but basically west coast France then a low pass to south of Pamplona, Zaragosa, Teruel, Valencia all with no tolls.

Thanks Brian

Yes we have a 22ltr underslung tank but are considering nuying a Campingaz Part Grill that fits directly on top of a 907 cylinder to prolong the gas a bit and (hopefully) cook/heat some simple meals outdoors. I know lpg is usually fairly freely available through France - if we do use gas by staying on some aires can we be sure of getting a top up in Spain?

We will be generally more prepared this time around. The new van has underslung (insulated) fresh/waste water tanks but wetook the precaution of having 12v heaters fitted - mainly for wintering in this country! As advised, we will try to keep fresh tank topped up and waste tank emptied.

Thanks James,

The guy I spoke to at Pateley Bridge (see above) also recommended this route via Pamplona, Zaragoza, Teruel, Valencia so we will probably give that a try but hope to be travelling back via Portugal to visit friends who overwinter there.

Looks more likely now that we will be using a mixture of ACSI sites and finding a good, well situated site around Murcia for perhaps 30 days then move again further around the coast for another long stay before heading along to Portugal and back up to France.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

p.s. just bought a Waeco 24ltr 12/240v coolbox to help keep the beer/wine out of the fridge - the freezer models were all a bit too big!

After some cogitation and deliberation we had decided to visit Bonterra Park near Benicassim due to its facilities and proximity to other amenities. The Caravan Club advance booking service seemed the better priced option for a long stay (better than the ACSI price) but I checked their website to see what the difference might be if I booked a long stay direct with the site.

In the reviews there are quite a few comments about the restrictions applying to dogs which cuses us some concerns as we do have an ageing Cavalier King Charles to consider. We are responsible owners and she is a very laid back dog who is no trouble at all - but it appeara that there may (in the past) have been an anti dog atmosphere, poor dog exercising areas and restircitions on taking the dog on the beach even in low season.

Has anyone been to Bonterra Park and can provide up to date information on any of this?

David

In early 2009 when we did our over winter in Spain..(We are currently esconced in Tenerife til mid 2012) we went down the western...ish side of France sort of via Rouen... Orleans...Vierzon...Toulouse...then cut across country and went past Carcassonne...Perpignan.....and crossed the border at La Jonquera and down past Barcelona...we stayed at Villanova Park for a couple of weeks then we were going to try Bonterra Park...But when we contacted them by phone (Feb 2009) they were full up..so we went to Peniscola to Camping El Eden..smashing place lots of different nationalities...Swedish...Dutch...Germans...Spanish ...French...and the obligatory over winter Brits...we stayed a total of 7 weeks and 2 days..that length of time we got 40% discount..had we stayed another week we would have got 50% discount..however my medication was a bit on the short side so it was head for the UK...try this link for El Eden http://www.camping-eden.com

It is a dog friendly site or it was when we were there as our friends Jim and Liz had there spaniel bertie with them......El Eden is or was in the ACSI book which lists all it amenities...Hope this helps

Benicasim is a small oldfashioned Spanish resort with old villas lining the paseo maritimo. Quiet in the winter but good shopping available and a market. Slightly colder than further south but the campsites do have good winter deals available. We have always stayed at Camping Azahar, but usually just for a week, but have friends with a dog who prefer Bonterra park now, but you do need to make sure you get a sunny pitch on that site. I don't think you would find that dog pee on site is accepted on any camping, as it doesn't rain so often in Spain. Most dog owners do a lot of walking every day.

Benicassim is cold beyond November. But Bonterra Park is a nice site; they cut the trees in mid Novemberish but the sunniest pitches are aleays in high demand as there are still many shaded areas. My wife hates the site but I like it.

Bonterra is great for shopping - a large Mercadona across the road and a Lidl next door. I now travel the extra 200 or so miles to Benidorm purely for the weather. If you don't fancy Benidorm - and many don't - what about Kiko Parl in Oliva .......................but I don't know about dogs.

As for Azahar which is a few hundred yards down the road - I don't like it especially when it rains and there is mud everywhere. The facilities leave a lot to be desired and its further to the shops and town.

Just to let you guys and girls know, the route from Pamplona to Valencia via Zara and Teruel is very high in places with high winds ,snow and ski slopes by the side of the road,

Not trying to put you off as it is a good road and surface all the way but we travel that way a lot and even in November have seen snow with driving winds ....also not much shelter beyond Zara to Teruel heading South !

Phil

Guest pelmetman

I am trying to find out more information on the La Manga and Marjal Sites in Spain.  I know there are supermarkets on each of the sites but would like to know if there are any other supermarkets within reasonable walking distance.  (Sorry to hijak your original thread David but thought this was a good place to ask).

Sue

Archived