Weight allowance

donna miller

I know this has been done to death, but usually on MM and is not something i usually worry too much about, but after 4 weigh checks by VOSA on our trucks this week I wanted to put my mind at rest.

Before we went away on Friday, we took the van over a customers weighbridge, Hubby and Me, 1/2 tank fuel, 1/2 tank water plus the usual 2 x 25lt for drinking, food, barby, chairs, a metal framed camp bed (???). spare wheel, toolbox, trolley jack, clothes etc. Plus we've got a 50lt underslung lpg tank.

The van is plated at 3400kg, and we weighed in at 3240kg, giving us 160kgs leeway, is this a good, bad or indifferent figure in your opinions.

Actually, using the full 3400kg is still a good figure, as long as you don't want to add any more contents, and neither the front or back axle loadings are exceeded.

I know it's a bit of a trite answer, but it's the only real one that applies (since I don't know what else you might wish to add).

In reality, if you were in "full touring kit", I'd want to re-weigh with axle loadings with a full fuel tank and full gas tank, at least. The full fuel tank will add (at a guess) somewhere close to 40kg, mainly on the front axle, but without knowing the current LPG load, difficult to conjecture on that.

If you aren't currently exceeding axle limits, then youre close to the max, but that's neither out of the ordinary (or illegal).

I'll do the next one with full fuel, but as said it should only add 40 odd kgs, ther total water weight adds up pretty much to a full tank, and apart from a few extra clothes, we wouldn't carry any more for a 2 week jaunt, the gas tank was full anyway, so no extra there.

I can't do the individual axle weights on this weighbridge because there is a pretty steep ramp, I took a huge gouge out of his tarmac with my towbar :$ , I think the steep angle would give a false reading, but I may be wrong.

The gas tank is slung central to the axles, and most of the gear is stowed in the garage or rear box, I would put my money on the rear being overweight if either one is.

Thanks for the input guys.

Didn't know about the garage - or the rear box! :-) I had thought the 534 was a U shaped rear lounge with underseat lockers, so light at the rear. Our first van was a Burstner on LWB 2.8 Ducato base, and always ran nearly 50/50 front to rear, which meant, because of its lower rating, that the front axle was closest to its limit. I imagined yours would have similar distribution. Over simple assumption, it seems! :-D

Re the weighbridge, you only need to weigh one axle independently. Remember to have all passengers, and driver, on board while weighing. :-) The remaining axle load is simply the gross vehicle weight minus the axle you have weighed.

If you weigh the whole van first, that ramp shouldn't cause problems with the axle weight, because you only need to advance (or reverse) far enough to take one pair of wheels just off the load platform for the second weight.

Don't know how true this is, but it seems feasible. I understand weighbridges give the best results if the load is a near the platform centre as possible so, in the case of weighing one axle of a motorhome, placing the other pair of wheels only just off the edge of the platform, leaves the pair to be weighed as close to the centre as can be practically achieved. Usually, allowing for the width of the frame surrounding the weighbridge platform, that should still leave the van standing pretty much level.

The 534 is a U lounge, the side seats lift up to gain access to the onboard tank one side, and a space under the other. The rear seat can also give you access to the 'garage' not in the same sense as some of the fixed bed garages, but nevertheless goes all the way across and will sleep a small adult :D.

The box is fitted to the cycle rack, and not standard.

This weighbrige is designed for artics, so you're right about giving the best reading central to the platform (65 feet x 10 feet).

As for the ramp, it's a right *@#[] and even the artic drivers moan about it because several of them have had loads shift driving onto and reversing off, (despite being advised to do it the other way round).

I'm not naieve (?) about how to double weigh, we do it all the time, only on a much larger scale.

donna miller - 2011-07-04 12:04 PM

....................I'm not naieve (?) about how to double weigh, we do it all the time, only on a much larger scale.

Wasn't my assumption at all! However, many more read than post, so included detail for the wider audience.

Archived