solar panels roll up

mrs p hancox

Fixed Panel on roof: Advantages: Wiring permanent, works automatically, no need to do anything. Should not conflict with a drive away awning if it's put in the right place. Disadvantages: Need small hole in roof for cable, but not a problem as Sikaflex sealant/adhesive will stick panel's mounting brackets to roof without screws and seal hole in roof without problems (I know - I've done it, and holes were fine after 7 years of weather). Can take cable down thru cupboard or wardrobe so invisible. Panel flat on roof so never at right angles to sun so never generates max output, especially in early am late pm. Movable Panel: The suitcase type are usually too small to achieve very much; you need at least a 50 watt panel to put anything worthwhile into your leisure batteries. The roll-up type are for special applications. I suggest you get a flat panel and lean it against a folding frame (like a very light-weight saw horse), pointing it at the sun and moving it every so often if you can. Wire the panel output to a plug and put a matching socket near the leisure batteries. (You could attach it to the battery using crocodile clips, but I would not recommend it - remember that the solar panel is always live except in the dark and the chances of shorting it are too great). No need for a charge controller since you are not going to leave the panel attached for long periods, but a permanently wired voltage meter (from Maplins) will enable you to keep a check on the leisure battery's charge). Fasten the panel using a secure cycle chain and lock to something immobile, else the panel will 'walk'. Advantages: Can be positioned closer to right angles to the sun's rays, maximising output. Disadvantages: Something else to pack away, find room for and to remember to disconnect before moving the 'van. Possibility of theft. Hope that helps.

I agree with Mel on all the points above. One further point is that you don,t HAVE to bring the cable in through the roof. If you have a ladder up the back for example you can run the wire through the ladder tubing and feed the cable under the back of the van and up through the floor. Second thought, many motorhome roofs have a moulded in style which results in a part of the roof that is above puddle level (Autotrail for sure). If an electrical cable gland is fitted in one of these upstands then there is little chance of water ingress anyway. Our Panel is a BP 80 watt one on the roof and I sometimes use a mirror (aluminium foil on plywood) to catch more sun and direct it onto the solar panel. Its a lot easier than tilting the panel itself. Good luck

It all depends what you want it to do. Freestanding panels can walk! I would suggest a panel fixed to the roof using sikaflex adhesive and suitable aluminium brackets. The advantage of roof mounting is that it is secure, always faces the sky, more power output (usually) and fitted with a regulator. If you are using a very small panel they are pretty useless, especially during the winter when the sun hardly creeps above the horizon. The subject has been aired many times on the MMM forum. Suggest you do a search on Solar Panels. If you are going to the Peterborough Show in April there will be a number of suppliers present.

If you want to get more sophisticated (I didn't want to complicate my previous post), you can have the best of both worlds with one of the fittings from the French Alden company: - a frame that fits to the 'van roof onto which the panel is fitted and that winds up to about a 60 degree angle so your panel is at right angles to the sun's rays more of the time - a super sophisticated system where the panel is mounted on what looks like an electric satellite dish mount, and which tracks the sun automatically thoughout the day. Alden also have a new range of solar panels specifically for motohomes which give higher output for the same wattage. Most panels output at around 16.5 volts, so a 50 watt panel under max load will give 3.03 amps into your battery. The New Alden panels output at just under 14 volts (adequate to charge a 12 volt battery) and so a 50 watt panel gives 3.6 amps, which is 20% more for the same money. Or, put another way, a 50 watt panel gives the same as a 60 watt panel. Alden items are imported by RoadPro but they never quite seem to have them in stock. Probably easier to buy in France. The German satdish company has been trying to develop a combined satdish/solar panel system for at least 2 years, but it's hugely expensive. I talked to the (well known) UK importer and when he proceeded to slag off the French system I gave up and left. I've made it a lifetime rule never to buy from anyone who slags off his competition!!

Archived