Water purifications

kevin hawkins

Our Autosleeper van is only fitted with a tank, a pump and a water tap. We would be grateful for any advice:

a) how long can water be kept and used in the tank before draining and refilling?

b) someone suggested fitting a Nature Pure Ultrafine Water Purifier. Does anyone use this system

and can they recommend them. Also, can they be fitted to a standard system which isn't pressurised

etc.

c) How do other motorhomers get round this problem with the static water system.

Kevin & Kath *-)

We can reccommend the nature pure system. We had one in our last van and it was an essential extra for our lastest model.

Best empty your tank before each trip away so that the tank doesn't get stale. Beats the heck out of carrying expensive bottled water.

We also have the equivelant system installed at home to get rid of the carsenagenic additives supplied by water companies.

We drain, sterilise, flush and refill our tanks about once a year, apart from that they just get topped up when necessary.

We have the Naturepure filter which supplies one tap, used for drinking & cooking. Highly recommended, we've had no problems in our travels, from Morocco to Turkey.

Our current water system is pressurised but the Naturepure filter was OK in out last one which was a non-pressurised system. Flow rate was a bit slower.

Andy

Hello Kevin,

My advice on water tanks is don't carry any more than you need. If you're heading to a campsite carry only a few litres, whilst if you are going to an Aire with no borne i.e. parking only and need to shower you will need to carry much more. This saves carrying unnecessary weight, saves fuel and prevents wasting unused water.

a) With the amount of chemicals in some tap water across Europe it would probably keep almost indefinitely though the advice from Yorkshire Water used to be treat drawn water as perishable - OK for a day or two.

b) We use a Nature Pure Ultrafine Water Purifier, and I would recommend it highly. Given that it would allow you to top up from puddles and drink safely, the age of the water is less of an issue. Knowing the water is safe is a great advantage but for us the best reason to have this particular filter is the removal of the unpleasant tastes. We have not bought bottled water at home or in Europe since fitting our Nature Pure. Although the initial cost is high and the replacement cartridge costs about £50 in our view it pays for itself.

We wouldn't be without it.

If your van has an internal diaphragm pump you should be fine with the pressure. It is submersible pumps which may not be up to the job.

If you do fit a filter don't forget to take the cartridge out before the onset of frost to prevent freezing and potential damage to the housing.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Carl

Guest Tracker

We've been using and drinking tank 'fresh' water in various vans for over 40 years and never had a filter or a problem.

We always travel with a full tank because we often have no specific destination in mind and can never be sure whether water is available on arrival.

Apart from that after a long drive do I really want to faff about filling a tank - not if I can avoid it!

We drain down after every trip and whilst away refill every three or so days and have never flushed any tank in any van.

We also carry a couple of bottles of Tesco value still water just in case there is a problem with the pump or system or in case we can't get water or it is not looking very safe - as in some foreign lands - and apart from using the bottled water now and again they tend to sit in a cupboard unused all season.

It's purely a case of personal choice whether you travel with a full, empty, part full or part empty tank or elect to fit and use a filter or not and in spite of what some folks will tell you there is no right or wrong way of fresh water management.

Others have a different approach!

This water purity concern arises every year. You takes your choice as to what to do.

We fill the vehicle tank straight from any tap and never at any stage use any water purification means. After even a short time away (one week) we drain all water and leave taps open. We try to drive the last 20 miles home with an empty tank and the system wide open so the air blows through.

We never 'clean out' the water holding tank or use and cleaning agent. We do not ever drink from the vehicle tank, thats for cooking and washing, but carry water in plastic bottles for drinking, which are also filled from designated 'fresh water' taps. The UK standard for water purification is good enough for us.

There is a theory that too many pure things in life are not good, take on board a few bugs occasionally and your body will be well adjusted, like a vacination when a real nasty bug comes along.

If after fitting any purification system I doubt there's any way of proving its still 'as advertised', does it have a shelf life? How does one test it and what does it prove. I'm of the opinion its all in the mind and aids the seller more than the user.

Remember the American continent natives, when they first became aquainted with Europeans, darned near perfect they were and free from diseases, then they died like flies when we interfered and showed them a 'better' way of life. Swallowing nature is a good way to continued and prolonged health. After all its what we are surrounded by !!

And don't get me started on hoses.

art

Guest Tracker
art338 - 2011-07-04 3:42 PM

And don't get me started on hoses.

art

Is that 'common or garden' hoses or fire hoses or something completely different Art - or should we call you Jose!

Like Tracker we have been using fresh water from the tank in various vans for the last thirty years and never had a problem, but unlike Tracker we DON’T drink the water out of the tank. That’s for washing only! both the body and the pots! We carry a couple of Tesco value still water bottles that were emptied of there original contents a few seasons ago. More will be purchased when the handles on the currents ones break. We fill these from designated fresh water taps on Sites or Aires whether in the UK or in Europe. The mains drinking water in the UK and Europe is safe to drink despite the scaremongers!

We don’t drain down if there is a gap of a few days before next use. Never flush or sterilise???? The tank.

Would we fit a Water Purifier? No if you want a better taste for your whisky buy a filter Jug from Argos it’s much cheaper!

How much water do we carry? It all depends where we are. UK, very little always use a site; preferably a CL or CS. Europe, fill up where you can never know where you will stay that night.

Guest Tracker

Perhaps I should clarify - we don't drink the van tank water directly as it does not taste that wonderful - unless you are very thirsty when any water tastes wonderful!

However we do clean our teeth with it, use it to make hot drinks, and sometimes use it to make a cold dilute fruit squash cordial drink - and the dog seems to drink it OK !

SIB - 2011-07-04 2:47 PMWe can reccommend the nature pure system. We had one in our last van and it was an essential extra for our lastest model.Best empty your tank before each trip away so that the tank doesn't get stale. Beats the heck out of carrying expensive bottled water.We also have the equivelant system installed at home to get rid of the carsenagenic additives supplied by water companies.

Carcinogens are cancer-forming agents. Pray tell which of these the water companies add to our supplies. There could be a basis for a class action here! And which system do you use that guarantees the removal of these carcinogens?

The continentals don`t seem to have this "thing" about water that Brits do, only the Brits roll aqaurolls around campsites. We have been on the continent for a month - strictly campsites so different for aires but have`nt filled the tank once, toilet flush yes, just used a plastic container for everyday use saves all that filling and emptying. But then each to his own.

SIB - 2011-07-04 6:38 PMRead up on flouride

I don't need to read up on fluoride (not flouride by the way) I know all about it. Only the most rabid single-issue fanatics could accuse water authorities of deliberately adding something known to be carcinogenic. If there was any scientific evidence that, in the quantities in which it occurs, both naturally and artificially, that it was harmful, do you really think that, in this litigious society, they would continue? 

You wrote about carcinogens, in the plural. What are the other 'carcinogens' that you believe the water authorities are adding? 

One day soon there will be a suggestion by an extremely 'Learned Person' quoting all manner of theories about British air and how harmful it is with the forthright suggestion to 'Wear at all times' when leaving the confines of one's house, Dr so and so's genuine Fresh Air Mask.

Advert.

"There's a great opportunity here folks to be the first person to breath thro a genuine filtered air product. Do you realise there are millions of invisible nasties entering your body every day, why, by using our FAM secret formulated product we can gurantee a healthier and longer life style.

End.

Don't forget folks you heard it here first on the 7th July 2011, and if I had the manufacturing capacity I would be making them fast as hell.

Should go well with the filtered water systems.

art

SIB

How can you tell if what you describe has been removed, you've no chance, I reckon you've been reading too many comics lately. I know that's an insult to comics but I'm being polite. Hell man, where you geting all this garbage from.

Do you have detecting equipment at your water supply inlet and again at the tap outlet. Oh no SIB, I reckons your in cloud cuckoo land with that one.

Regarding hoses, them sorts what gardeners use, round, with a hole.

art

kevin hawkins - 2011-07-04 2:19 PM

Our Autosleeper van is only fitted with a tank, a pump and a water tap. We would be grateful for any advice:

a) how long can water be kept and used in the tank before draining and refilling?

b) someone suggested fitting a Nature Pure Ultrafine Water Purifier. Does anyone use this system

and can they recommend them. Also, can they be fitted to a standard system which isn't pressurised

etc.

c) How do other motorhomers get round this problem with the static water system.

Kevin & Kath *-)

Oh dear, argument and false information clouds the answers yet again!

How long can water be kept in your tank? It will depend on temperature, and on how clean the system is when the water is added. The hotter the weather, the quicker it "goes off. However, assuming the tank is sterilised at the outset (as your has no water heater, use Milton or similar), two to three days max if you intend to drink it unboiled. Someone mentioned that the chlorine will keep it pure. Unfortunately, this is incorrect. Chlorine is a gas and, once the water is relieved of the pressure of the supply system, it will gas off. After about 24 hours the chlorine will have gone, and your water will begin degrading.

Be aware that some of the answers above are misleading. Those who re-fill their tanks every two-three days, and don't drink the water unboiled, will not have health problems unless contamination has entered from elsewhere.

As stated above, buying bottled water for drinking will be cheaper than installing and maintaining a Nature Pure system, unless you drink large amounts of water. A filter jug will probably be cheaper than either.

The cheapest solution to sterilising and maintaining the water in a safe state for longer periods, is probably Milton to sterilise, and a product called Elsil, made by Elsan, and obtainable from many caravan/motorhome dealers accessories shops.

How often you need to drain, sterilise, and refill will depend on how often you use the van, how you use the water, and how fast you use it. There really is no "one size fits all" answer.

Archived