satallite systems

mrs p hancox

hi just ot let you all know maplins have now got in stock a complete satallite system in a box including reciever that works 12v or 240 for the incredible price of £99.99 only justin stock ordered ours a few weeks ago so not aactually received it jet but our local camping place had similar kit with just dish and fixing for same price think I may have a bargin here

We have got a Pace Sky digibox that has been converted to run off 12v and has (minds gone blank for word) to plug in at home. Bit pricey but does mean we can watch channel 4 and five on free sat which you can't at present with non sky system (well somebody has too), or you could watch full sky package if you have one.

Haven't taken the cover off as still under warenty, it apears that the standerd mains transformer has been byepast, there is no mains input lead instead there is a round connector, there are several leads supplied, one with 12v flat pin plug, cigar lighter plug and mains adaptor, think there might be a lead with crocadille clips some where also. As i said bit pricey, from ebay trader, but my thinking was that i don't often go to sites with mains and even with solar power am pushing battery capcity to limit, so having a invertor to feed a sky box that converts ac back to dc with its internal transformer just wastes power.

hi just to let you all know received sat system includes compact receiver box that is 12v or 240, dish mounting (suck on or clamp fixer)equipment sat finder, cable bolts screws etc and all fit in a very good little box all for £99 I think its excellent value as we were going to take box from home, but our box is bulky and only 240 Took a bit of figureing as in German, then as usual after an hour read how to change language to english!! then away we went!! Well worth money I feel as all in easy to pack box, and 12 volt receiver

Do you expect to receive the same Sky channels on the van box as you do at home ? If so how did you manage to persuade Sky to give you a second card or register your home card to the van box ? Perhaps you are sticling with Freeview though ?

I am sticking to freeview, but you should be able to get a second card for second box but it is extra subs, or you can use box at home and away(it has 240v transformer supplied seperatly) if sky will transfer card to new box, friend at work was given a secondhand box which he used for fta then he decided to sub to sky took a bit of convincing but they let him have one but he still had to pay instalation cost even though it was self installed! this was about 2 years ago If in dought contact sky just in case they have changed policy.

Like it or not, we are all being forced inexorably towards satellite TV. You'll note that all new LCD/Plasma screen above about 20inch are now 'HD Ready'. BBC begin their HDTV broadcasts with some World Cup Games and Wimbledon (Centre and No 1 Cout) this summer - but satellite ONLY. Terrestrial Freeview seems to me to be simply a political sop to get us all off analogue because each analogue channel uses as much bandwidth as 10+ digital channels. The Government (or their Civil servants) want to free up the bandwidth to sell it at high cost for other uses. Problem is that HDTV is back to almost the same bandwidth as terrestrial analogue, so don't expect terrestrial HDTV.

Seems to depend on which "customer adviser" you speak to. The ones I have spoken to on 2nd cards or on registering card with second box just put hurdles in the way (telephone line for example). I think I may have a black mark that comes up on the Sky adviser computer screen when I call.

Hi again Maybe ! it could be that you need to have been with sky for more than one card, we were on there books for two years before changeing to freeview . I just said to them that I wanted a 2nd box in the bed room and was told you can have up to two freeview cards per household !! Mike

To give you some idea of the cost of HD TV. HD Box from Sky or Comet. (Even if you have HD TV) £295.00 Plus HD Monthly payment £10.00 per month) Plus your Sky package per month. So the price for HD is Sky High. BBC are hoping to put out HD for World Cup and Wimbledon but only in London area. Start saving folks!!

[QUOTE]mrs p hancox - 2006-03-30 9:03 AM hi just ot let you all know maplins have now got in stock a complete satallite system in a box including reciever that works 12v or 240 for the incredible price of £99.99 only justin stock ordered ours a few weeks ago so not aactually received it jet but our local camping place had similar kit with just dish and fixing for same price think I may have a bargin here [/QUOTE] Hi a liitle bit of help needed here. I have read up on this on maplins sight would I be correct in thinking I would not need a digi box to recieve channels. Obviously only the free ones i.e. bbc, itv etc. Also have you tried it out yet in the field? If so what were the results? Thanks Pete

hi only tried it at home, first of all no reception, then us thick heads realised we were trying to get reception through three brick walls went outside with dish and brill hope to try it out next week end but pleased with what we saw. Yes only free view channels, radio etc but seemed to a great deal of them! We have sky at home and most of the ones we use were there. Liked the small box to pack it all away, and fact receiver is 12v or 240 the dish and arm are plastic and are seemed bit flimsy but receiver sat finder and other bits as per usual, part number A96FJ

Crucially, it depends whether your "etc." includes Channel 4 and Five. If yes, you will need a Sky digibox and a decoder card, as those channels are encrypted, even though one does not need to pay a subscription to view them, so they are free. Dave

I agree do not receive channel 4 and five but have been told they will be encriopted in about a months time any way that was from chap at Maplins, whilst just chatting. No can't get pay to sky full package but got the free view packages, so more than jst on bog standard aerial, but less than sky. Also chap at Maplins said we would pick up channels whilst abroad, Pete might be worth pop in to Maplins and ask or I think they do a live internet chat. Can't give you many more details as only just tried it out at home, but will report back when know more.

FilmFour will go free to air in july, channel 4 and Five are locked in to contracts with sky to around 2008/9 may be they are buying themselves out of this but I don't see why they would bother incuring the expense, but if they do it will mean any fta reciever should be able to pick them up. Note that BBC and ITV are transmitted on a narrow beam so you will need a bigger dish than normal to recieve them as you get further from UK, a good site for info is satelliteforcaravans.co.uk .

Archived