Anyone fitted a Swivel base fitted to RWD Transit Mk7

mike 202

I have a RWD Transit 350M based Autosleeper with two batteries fitted by Ford under the drivers seat. One for the engine and one for the habitation.There is a second habitation battery fitted under the offside accomodation seat/bed.

Although I wanted A/S to supply the vehicle with a drivers swivel seat they stated that they only supplied this model (Windsor) motorhome with a swivel on the passenger side.

I realise that it will be difficult to service the batteries under the drivers seat with a swivel fitted, but if they are sealed then no maintenance will be required.

I have seen swivel seats fitted to FWD Mk7 Transits but maybee their batteries are fitted in a different place to the RWD Mk7.

So my interest is can a swivel be fitted and can someone recommend a suitable and reliable supplier.

Thanks Mike

RHD FWD Transit

Two Leisure Batteries under passenger seat.

Vehicle Battery (and charger for hab batteries) under drivers seat.

Swivels fitted to both sides at factory.

Yes it is difficult to get at the batteries - basically it requires the seat out, but it is possible.

I would have thought it possible for your own.

I can't personally recommend any aftermarket suppliers of swivels, but I can point you at where you can get them from if you don't get recommendations from others.

Sorry for the dashed-off reply - just off out.

lennyhb - 2011-07-05 7:38 PM

Depends on what seats you have, not recommended if you have standard Ford seats it makes the seat far to high. Works fine with ISRI & Aguti seats as these have a thinner base.

I've certainly seen this complained about, largely in terms of being too high to see out of the windscreen, but my experience differs, which leads me to believe it may be more of a problem with the type of swivel fitted. (some add more vertical height than others)

My 'van has standard Ford seats, with swivels on both drivers and passengers sides, as set out above. I'm over 6ft, and don't have any visibility problems.

(unless of course, there is also a problem for those with short legs, not being able to reach the pedals?)

edit

The ones factory fitted to my Hobby (which is Mk7 BTW) are FASP ones, which are widely available.

I suspect they are these:

http://www.jennings-seats.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_13054115&url=http://www.jennings-seats.co.uk/shop/19/index.htm

....they certainly look like them.

I can't guarantee that the pedestals aren't lowered without measuring, but as they are full of battery, I very much doubt it, and I find them OK with the standard Ford seats.

Robinhood - 2011-07-05 9:13 PM

lennyhb - 2011-07-05 7:38 PM

Depends on what seats you have, not recommended if you have standard Ford seats it makes the seat far to high. Works fine with ISRI & Aguti seats as these have a thinner base.

I've certainly seen this complained about, largely in terms of being too high to see out of the windscreen, but my experience differs, which leads me to believe it may be more of a problem with the type of swivel fitted. (some add more vertical height than others)

My 'van has standard Ford seats, with swivels on both drivers and passengers sides, as set out above. I'm over 6ft, and don't have any visibility problems.

(unless of course, there is also a problem for those with short legs, not being able to reach the pedals?)

We hired a van a few years ago it had Ford seats they were far too high biggest problem was neck ache the steering wheel was far too low and it doesn't adjust on the Tranie, I'm only 5'10 average build and leg length my mate brought a Hymer van and had the same problem sold it after a year. It's not until you drive some distance that you realise the extent of the problem.

It may not effect every one but you need to be aware of the problem. Hymers with ISRI & Aguti are a lot better but still a bit on the high side the steering wheel still feels stupidly low with your knees tucked up under it.

lennyhb - 2011-07-06 8:35 AM

We hired a van a few years ago it had Ford seats they were far too high biggest problem was neck ache the steering wheel was far too low and it doesn't adjust on the Tranie, I'm only 5'10 average build and leg length my mate brought a Hymer van and had the same problem sold it after a year. It's not until you drive some distance that you realise the extent of the problem.

It may not effect every one but you need to be aware of the problem. Hymers with ISRI & Aguti are a lot better but still a bit on the high side the steering wheel still feels stupidly low with your knees tucked up under it.

It may be a matter of stature; it may be that my 'van has lowered pedestals; or it may be the low-profile swivel type fitted, but I've experienced no problems with mine, even driving all day.

It may well be something for the OP to ponder, since opinions seem to vary; I certainly wouldn't want to put him off though.

MMM tested a similarly equipped 'van to mine (i.e. a Hobby Siesta Exclusive on a Mk7 Transit) in June 2010; Andrew Bromley's comments were "Height adjustable cab seats are comfortable over long distances and though swivel-mounted, are set relatively low (minimum height 430mm), which is helpful, given the fixed steering wheel".

Patently, buying a 'van where you want/need a swivel seat and then finiding that it just doesn't work for you may lead to a more painful financial decision than (after weighing up the possibilities) adding a swivel to try to better one you've already bought, and finding that it doesn't improve things. I think I'd rather give it a try try than just change the 'van. ;-)

I have a 09 Autosleeper Ford Windsor fitted with a swivel base to both seats.

This was fitted by Autosleeper prior to delivery.

The swivel base is a Sportscraft German made supplied by a company in Cannock, Staffordshire.

It works very well, but you need to release the handbrake to turn the seat; do not forget to reapply the handbrake.

No problems with the height for myself or the wife.

Thank you to all of you for your replies abd advice, especially the handbrake situation.

ANTAR will get in touch with Autosleeper/Marquis re supply and or supply and fit. Will also contact the various suppliers suggested.

Regards and Thanks to all

Mike

Archived