NEW TO THE FORUM - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

Randonneur

Could I please ask all new and some older Members of this Forum to put the details of their motorhomes (if they have one) on their profile when they join, you can just put your details after the "Location". You can do it afterwards by going onto the control panel at the top of the screen. It helps when a Forum Member wants some help and then they don't have to give motorhome details as it already there. Makes life a lot simpler.

Sorry to put the subject in capitals but I wanted it to stand out, it has been asked before but it doesn't appear to have had any results. Unfortunately there isn't a box to put the motorhome details in, PLEASE, Mr Mods can you possible amend this.

Can never understand why people ask for this, especially in CAPITALS.

If you look through the questions asked on 'motorhome matters', very few require this information.

If someone wants some info on their specific motorhome I assume that they will tell us which one they've got.

( so Mr.Mods, please don't do it in a hurry, it's not important)

;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
I thought I could see some value in your suggestion, but after thinking about it a liitle bit more IMO it is almost irrelevant. Most vehicles share common components and fittings, Truma, Thetford, etc, and base vehicles. So if the question was posed "I've got trouble with my whatever" there may be many more folk able to give an answer despite not having the same van, but having the same appliance, base vehicle etc. or having had a similar problem in the past with a previously owned van ;-)

I simply cannot understand the reasoning behind the above two destructively negative posts. The proposal is simple, and would save time and ambiguity were it is observed. No one is suggesting compulsion, just the inclusion of a facility to do this.

Different context, but Derek Uzzel's following comment seems wholly apt:

"It's always struck me as perverse that, when someone suggests something on this forum that's clearly sensible in terms of risk-avoidance (for example, the advice on reverse polarity), it's pretty much the norm for an argument to arise regarding the perceived level of risk and for that argument to rapidly develop into a slanging match.

In this instance, it's plainly best practice to do as the bishbus originally advised, so why deliberately choose to argue about it?"

Just substitute convenience for risk-avoidance. What on earth is there to lose?

Guest 1footinthegrave

Nothing negative about my post, perhaps you could re-read what I said.

You pose a question about say perhaps your fridge in your "declared" van or some other appliance / fitting. We all know converters inevitably fit different models even to the same conversion, so further clarification would be needed in any event, and that would throw it open to a wider forum audience for an answer just by definition. What's negative or destructive about that Brian simply the view that it adds nothing IMO, just that Brian an opinion, NOT an argument. You are normally are the voice of reason, sadly not on this occasion me thinks. :-(

Guest 1footinthegrave
Further to the above, maybe I'm thick but I cannot see anywhere in control panel to include the information in any event ! ! ! :-S

I refer "malc" and "1foot" to this earlier thread:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10256&start=1

The "What are the vehicle details?" posting from the OAL Moderator that I referred to in the thread's original posting is no longer present (I believe it disappeared along with the FAQ section when the OAL websire crashed a couple of years ago) which doesn't help fum newcomers.

For "1foot", you will realise from my 2008 posting that using the Control Panel's Location field to hold motorhome identification data is a 'fudge', but there's no practicable alternative that permits that information to be immediately visible when a posting is made.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I've done it, but considering I doubt there are any two forum members with exactly the same vans I still don't see what it achieves, just look at any thread, oh well, move on..............

bolero boy - 2011-07-06 10:22 AM

further to this thread in information, how do you add a photo and why are there two URL entries for pictures?

I tried adding a mug shot (ugh!) of myself or the van but it came out really small so I removed it.

I had trouble at first I put the same url in both boxes pointing to the web space where I uploaded my photo, if you right click & view image you get a nice bit picture.

Originally tried uploading a a profile image never worked.

1footinthegrave - 2011-07-06 5:32 AM

You pose a question about say perhaps your fridge in your "declared" van or some other appliance / fitting. We all know converters inevitably fit different models even to the same conversion, so further clarification would be needed in any event, and that would throw it open to a wider forum audience for an answer just by definition. What's negative or destructive about that Brian simply the view that it adds nothing IMO, just that Brian an opinion, NOT an argument. You are normally are the voice of reason, sadly not on this occasion me thinks. :-(

Well then, you'll have to explain to me what is positive about the word "irrelevant". :-)

But beyond that, someone posts to support a frequently promoted idea that is often useful. In response, your post says, in effect, "no, lets not do that, because I can't see the point". Don't wish to cast aspersions on the quality of your foresight, but I can see the point, and a short trawl through recent posts will reveal a number where much initially wasted time would have been avoided had that simple rule been followed.

Look at it another way. At the very least it is a courtesy to those one hopes will answer one's query, to reduce to the minimum the amount of time it takes them to understand its context. Posting vehicle details achieves that in a number of cases, and reduces the number of questions necessary to arrive at an understanding in many more.

Your argument, at best, seems to be that folk will waste some of their time trying to respond anyway, so why not let them waste a bit more? No-one's time is free, even if they give it freely. To assume otherwise is, IMO, unreasonable and discourteous.

Brian Kirby - 2011-07-06 12:30 AM

I simply cannot understand the reasoning behind the above two destructively negative posts. The proposal is simple, and would save time and ambiguity were it is observed. No one is suggesting compulsion, just the inclusion of a facility to do this.

Different context, but Derek Uzzel's following comment seems wholly apt:

"It's always struck me as perverse that, when someone suggests something on this forum that's clearly sensible in terms of risk-avoidance (for example, the advice on reverse polarity), it's pretty much the norm for an argument to arise regarding the perceived level of risk and for that argument to rapidly develop into a slanging match.

In this instance, it's plainly best practice to do as the bishbus originally advised, so why deliberately choose to argue about it?"

Just substitute convenience for risk-avoidance. What on earth is there to lose?

I'm not really sure which two posts you regard as " destructively negative" Brian.

I really only made my comment because I was surprised ( and a bit mystified) by the pleading tone of the original post.

Why the capitals "PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE" ?

Why "PLEASE Mr. Mods.... "

If there is an urgent problem I just don't see it.

I am not opposed to the idea if people want to volunteer their van details - it may be useful at times, but I just don't see it as an urgent problem to be resolved.

" Destructively negative " - me ?

(I cannot believe it).

;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Brian Kirby - 2011-07-06 12:28 PM

1footinthegrave - 2011-07-06 5:32 AM

Well then, you'll have to explain to me what is positive about the word "irrelevant". :-)

But beyond that, someone posts to support a frequently promoted idea that is often useful. In response, your post says, in effect, "no, lets not do that, because I can't see the point". Don't wish to cast aspersions on the quality of your foresight, but I can see the point, and a short trawl through recent posts will reveal a number where much initially wasted time would have been avoided had that simple rule been followed.

Look at it another way. At the very least it is a courtesy to those one hopes will answer one's query, to reduce to the minimum the amount of time it takes them to understand its context. Posting vehicle details achieves that in a number of cases, and reduces the number of questions necessary to arrive at an understanding in many more.

Your argument, at best, seems to be that folk will waste some of their time trying to respond anyway, so why not let them waste a bit more? No-one's time is free, even if they give it freely. To assume otherwise is, IMO, unreasonable and discourteous.

Are you for real with your condescending tone,

"Well then, you'll have to explain to me what is positive about the word "irrelevant"

I don't have to explain anything to you, again I repeat, my comments are just an opinion as valid as yours, explain indeed.

As for what ? saving time, it strikes me there are plenty on here who have nothing to do other than waste time, a bit like an old mans Facebook really.

Get out in your van more often is what I would consider a good idea instead of trying to be some kind of self appointed mediator or advisor of, as you said " best practice". I wonder if you'll give some of your not free time to pick the bones out of that....... (!)

What unhelpful people some of you are coming across as being! :-S

What is the problem with giving the information if it is going to make life easier/quicker and, to be honest, more welcoming to others - it's nice to be aware of others who have the same/similar vehicle to you for many reasons.

We often get new members on here who ask questions but then don't put details of their vehicle, motorhome conversion, etc, etc. I have lost track of the numerous times the poster has had to be asked which vehicle they have for us to be able to give suitable answers. I personally take the time when I can to then look up their vehicle on the internet and glean some more info, to be able to give them a full and, hopefully, helpful answer.

Not only does it speed up answers, it also lets those who have tha vehicle too give a more accurate response to the particular query.

What it also lets newbies see what others on the forum have, so if they are thinking of getting a similar model, from the same manufacturer etc, or have a specific question about it, they can PM the forum member for some help without having to put it in open forum, especially useful if time is of the essence.

I have certainly done the latter option myself and also been contacted by others thinking of getting the same/similar van to me and been able to help them.

At the end of the day we are a forum so it is not VITAL, however, I like to think we try to offer an unnofficial 'help service' to other members, and if putting details our vehicles in 'location' details helps, they why the heck not????

I'm just totally bewildered by those who are against this for no apparent, sensible or helpful reason! 8-)

Mel B - 2011-07-06 8:02 PM

What unhelpful people some of you are coming across as being! :-S

What is the problem with giving the information if it is going to make life easier/quicker and, to be honest, more welcoming to others - it's nice to be aware of others who have the same/similar vehicle to you for many reasons.

We often get new members on here who ask questions but then don't put details of their vehicle, motorhome conversion, etc, etc. I have lost track of the numerous times the poster has had to be asked which vehicle they have for us to be able to give suitable answers. I personally take the time when I can to then look up their vehicle on the internet and glean some more info, to be able to give them a full and, hopefully, helpful answer.

Here here!

Not only does it speed up answers, it also lets those who have tha vehicle too give a more accurate response to the particular query.

What it also lets newbies see what others on the forum have, so if they are thinking of getting a similar model, from the same manufacturer etc, or have a specific question about it, they can PM the forum member for some help without having to put it in open forum, especially useful if time is of the essence.

I have certainly done the latter option myself and also been contacted by others thinking of getting the same/similar van to me and been able to help them.

At the end of the day we are a forum so it is not VITAL, however, I like to think we try to offer an unnofficial 'help service' to other members, and if putting details our vehicles in 'location' details helps, they why the heck not????

I'm just totally bewildered by those who are against this for no apparent, sensible or helpful reason! 8-)

HERE HERE!

Guest 1footinthegrave

It simply is not the case of wishing to appear unhelpful, quite the opposite in fact.

Ponder this for a moment , I post a question of having a problem with my fridge for example, how many IH owners are registered users are likely to respond with exactly the same van, let me take a guess, 2 maybe.

On the other hand I post I'm having a problem with my Dometic RM212 fridge,which is likely to be fitted to a multitude of vans, result, very many more offers of help.

That was the only point I was trying to make, perhaps in a cack handed way, and that same point obviously lost on most folk judging by the responses, but whatever.... :-(

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2011-07-05 10:38 PMI thought I could see some value in your suggestion, but after thinking about it a liitle bit more IMO it is almost irrelevant. Most vehicles share common components and fittings, Truma, Thetford, etc, and base vehicles. So if the question was posed "I've got trouble with my whatever" there may be many more folk able to give an answer despite not having the same van, but having the same appliance, base vehicle etc. or having had a similar problem in the past with a previously owned van ;-)

Yep, nuffink wrong with your post Dave.............except you used the word irrelevant8-)...........over here in MM........that's fighting talk:D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Could not agree more, and I must try harder. For the record I said "almost irrelevant" in relation to the OP's suggestion, a subtle difference. :-|

Only a couple of weeks ago a new visitor asked about a particular item on his van, I had to prompt him to give us some details of the type etc, other forum members then responded with all that was needed to supply him (or her) with the correct information.

A lot of unnecessary wording would have been saved if the details had been given at first.

And what's so secretive about van types, are some so ashamed of what they have that they choose not to tell us, funny people me thinks.

I have yet to find a model same as ours, perhaps I would if they were displayed.

art

Guest 1footinthegrave
And so it goes on................................must get back to my cross stitch. *-)

1footinthegrave - 2011-07-06 8:18 PM

Ponder this for a moment , I post a question of having a problem with my fridge for example, how many IH owners are registered users are likely to respond with exactly the same van, let me take a guess, 2 maybe.

(

.... but how do you know if people don't give their van details normally? :D

There could be hundreds of forumites ... okay, maybe not THAT many rich ones ;-) ... who have the same or similar van to you, but you wouldn't know.

If the problem the poster is experiencing with a piece of equipment is because of the way it has been installed in a particular make/model for example (such as the grill in our motorhome letting in an almighty draught, or the lack of security on the garage doors on our previous Rimor that we were warned about when another forum member saw that we had got one) then what vehicle they have IS very relevant.

:-D

Archived