NEW TO THE FORUM - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

Randonneur

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2011-07-06 9:21 PMThere could be hundreds of forumites ... okay, maybe not THAT many rich ones ;-) ... who have the same or similar van to you
Ultimate Class Teschner XLII 2011..............wot's that then?.............Has 1 foot got a big one Mel?:D

pelmetman - 2011-07-06 9:31 PM

Mel B - 2011-07-06 9:21 PMThere could be hundreds of forumites ... okay, maybe not THAT many rich ones ;-) ... who have the same or similar van to you
Ultimate Class Teschner XLII 2011..............wot's that then?.............Has 1 foot got a big one Mel?:D

No, as you might have imagined, "1foot' has only got a little one. It's a SEVEL X244-based IH Motorhomes "Savannah Tio" panel-van conversion with 2.8litre motor.

malc d - 2011-07-06 9:03 PM

Seems to me the answer is to say to new users ( or even older ones) :

"If you want any help with info about your van, please make sure you let us know what it is"

Simples

;-)

This is what the OAL Moderator's advice said (see my July 6 posting in this thread), but it seemed to make very little difference.

People are generally poor at providing information without being prompted/guided. While it would be nice (IMHO) if the OAL forum registration procedure were more user-friendly and comprehensive, this is complicated by the underlying framework of the OAL forum section being linked to several Warners leisure-related publications.

I fully agree that forum members providing more accurate/explicit thread titles would be helpful (not least because I could then more easily overlook the ones that clearly won't have relevance for me), but that's not going to happen. Neither does there seem any likelihood that improvements will be made to the OAL forum's basic structure in the foreseeable future.

The motorhome-related part of the OAL forum section has a small core of people (I'd guess at a maximum of 20) who do most of the 'work' when it comes to responding to technical questions. Being aware of a questioner's motorhome's make/model/year right from Square One will never be unhelpful (unless the questioner lies of course!), even if it proves necessary to ask for supplementary information to allow a question to be satisfactorily addressed.

As there's no longer any Warners-provided advice regarding forum members volunteering motorhome-related details, forum members will need to do this (if they so wish) using their own initiative.

To avoid repetition and minimise the need to trawl through earlier threads, there are 3 options, all involving exploitation of the Control Panel.

1. Motorhome details are put in the "Signature" field. This might seem OK, except there's the option not to view signatures. I don't know how many other forum members choose that option, but I get fed up seeing "Praemonitus, praemunitus" (or the like) tacked on to a posting for the umpteenth time and, consequently, 'invisible-ise' signatures.

2. Motorhome details are put in the "Interests" field. Snag with this ploy is that you have to check a person's Profile to see if any details are present as 'Interests' data don't automatically appear on a posting.

3. Motorhome details are put in the "Location" field. Tthis is the only field that ensures that data withiin it will always appear automatically on a posting. It's hardly a great solution, but (as I've said before) there seems to be no practicable alternative that's preferable.

(As will be seen from my own Profile, I use a combination of 2 and 3.)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Derek Uzzell - 2011-07-07 7:45 AM

pelmetman - 2011-07-06 9:31 PM

No, as you might have imagined, "1foot' has only got a little one. It's a SEVEL X244-based IH Motorhomes "Savannah Tio" panel-van conversion with 2.8litre motor.

Your not up to date mate, I've got an even smaller one. I've now got a "classic" van.

I found the Ultimate Class Teschner would not go through the drive gates. Mind you I've got a little problem with the fridge, maybe someone on here has got the same van and can help.

1footinthegrave - 2011-07-07 9:58 AM

"MOTORHOME 1969 ex GPO Commer van"

Your not up to date mate, I've got an even smaller one. I've now got a "classic" van.

I found the Ultimate Class Teschner would not go through the drive gates. Mind you I've got a little problem with the fridge, maybe someone on here has got the same van and can help.

.....funnily enough, I have the same problem.

I think you will find that as the fridge is Post Office red, it tends to absorb the sun's rays more than other similar devices.

I re-painted mine Domestic Appliance white, and all my troubles were solved. ;-)

(...or maybe yours isn't a fridge, but a pillar box that was awaiting delivery when the 'van was sold) B-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Well with almost instant help like that I have seen the light, and can now see the justification of adding vehicle details. You even almost guessed right, it is a converted pillar box made in to a fridge.

1footinthegrave - 2011-07-07 10:23 AM

Well with almost instant help like that I have seen the light, and can now see the justification of adding vehicle details. You even almost guessed right, it is a converted pillar box made in to a fridge.

.....and I bet you have no trouble parking your 'van - just leave it anywhere and turn the hazard warning lights on! :-D

As I posted on the Electrical Hookup Safety thread...................

In my brief time on this forum I regularly see a pattern emerging -

a question is asked

advice is given

counter advice is given (all good stuff in my book, promote debate, etc)

camp splits into left/right discussion on merits of said advice

superior attitude rises in one camp or t'other

counter comments ensue

comment level rises

someone takes umbridge

shock from poster causing the reaction

period of 'no I didn't, yes you did'

a calming influence appears to reduce tone of thread

some weasely apologies are posted

a can't see what the fuss is about post appears

the poor original poster is left without the best mix of advice and wishes he never asked the question in the first place

I'll leave this text in the buffer as I'll no doubt be able to use it again, lol.

Why is it that so many threads seem to quickly spiral downhill into the mire?

Shame really.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I guess I started this particular spat, with my "almost irrelevant" comment to the OP. This was rapidly turned into the word "almost" being ignored, then a full blown attack on my viewpoint. I have yet to see anyone saying, umm you might just have a point there, or I had not thought of that. A good verbal beating up always seems the order of the day.

:-S

I'll try again as my post went AWOL.

How very amusing, a fauly fridge!

Now I only know of this happening once, but around 2 years ago some one posted about thier XYZ123 fridge not working, a few replies of 'try this and that' where made, then one poster replied, "I see you have a Fred Bloggs XXL999 motorhome, these had an instalion problem with fridge" the problem got sorted due to a seemingly unrelated detail in thier profile.

And before anyone asked I can't be arsed to search for the particular thread.

A handy spinoff of having your van type publicised is that someone can give you training on how to reverse it. :D

I do not want to let all and sundry know what van I have as I may want to be undercover if I bump into any of you. This gives me the option of a quick exit. B-)

I have noticed that the members who put full details of their vehicle also include the year, especially if it is a brand new shiny one. The website should be set up to only include this bit of info after a time lapse of 3 years (like an MOT, :-D ).

I generally ask for m/home information elsewhere (to avoid arguments) but I would pm certain members for advice if necessary. Strangely enough, I am prepared to offer advice but I am usually beaten to it. Some of you are just too quick on the draw for me. :D

Archived