Pro's and cons after towing a motorcycle for the first time abroad. 2nd attempt

Hopesy

Sorry about the blank post above.Stupid fingers!!! and no delete

We got back from just over two weeks travelling down to Bavaria towing our 'bike (200kgs) and a couple of people pM'd me to ask about the experience so i thought I'd post.

We normally use camp sites for our holidays and use aires to overnight to get to them. We got the tunnel late at night and overnighted on Cite Europe with it's large car park. It was easy to use the tunnel no problems going over.

Drove down through Belgium, Lux and into Germany. We had the Bord Atlas books and looked for a suitable large stellplatz. We were going to stay just outside Pforzheim but couldn't find the stellplatz and ended up stopping in a quiet layby on a minor road. Onto Munich for a few days.

Then to Berchtesgarden. Expensive site but the best facilities i've seen while over the channel. Activcamping allewegan. Moved to Mittenwald and had a lovely time. This campsite wanted bikers and was very bike friendly.

This area is heaven for motorcyclists and we had some good tours. The Germans seemed to be switched on to bikers needs and at dedicated bike parking there were lockers free for helmets and kit!!

Back to blighty and again couldn't find the stell platz and so layby'd again.

A couple of tips if overnighting on aires/stellplatz some research will need to be done through google to see if it's large enought o accomodate van and trailer. I had a moment where i had to unload the bike, unhitch the trailer and turn everthing around the reattach!!

In the mountains it was either 35degrees and i was sweating putting the kit on or it was raining so be prepared and if you want to do someting like a mountain top do it that day while the weather is fine because tomorrow it will be cloudy and raining!

I wouldn't hestitate to take the bike again and will be doing so in September, this time to France.

Hopesy - 2011-07-06 11:20 AM

We were going to stay just outside Pforzheim but couldn't find the stellplatz and ended up stopping in a quiet layby on a minor road.e tomorrow it will be cloudy and raining!

You didn't miss much it's behind a big factory & the the service point is ½ mile away down by the river in a parking area for a block of flats.

Roger,

as you know, I said that Camping Allweglehen was a decent base for the Berchtesgaden area, but if you think those were good facilities, then you'd be blown away by some of the sites we've stayed at. (Germany and Austria seem to be the best).

As a coincidence, we also moved on from there to Mittenwald, Naturcamping Isarhorn (which I suspect will be the site you stayed on).

We really liked Mittenwald, but unfortunately got overtaken by the weather, day 1 not a cloud in the sky, day 2, no sky in sight (and not a lot of ground either) so we moved on. It's a pleasant little town, and we'll probably head back for another session sometime.

Archived