Traveling in France

Linda Quinn

I echo much of the advice given. I would also underline the accepted wisdom that you never overnight at an aire on any motorway.

I would caution that not all aires are ‘nice’ – some are grubby corners in carparks or have obviously not been maintained or cleaned. However some are really worth seeking out and I can personally recommend the two below – there are of course many other good aires.

LOUHANS

Alongside the river and near the Haulte Nautique. The charge is €4 (or €5?) from 1st May to 30 Sept. and includes the use of good showers and toilets in the Haulte Nautique. Otherwise parking and water and dumps services are free for the rest of the year. It’s worth arriving on a Sunday to walk around the Monday market – it's spread over three areas and you can literally buy anything from a live chicken to a grandfather clock. The parking, water and dumps are available all year. It’s one of our favourite aires.

ST. POUCAIN-SUR-SIOLE

On the N9. Turn down past the tourist information near the town centre. 45mls N of Clermont Ferrand. Free parking for about 40 vans. €2 for services via a bourne, which is cleaned every day. A nice grassy aire along the river. The town has the usual shops and an interesting if small old area. There is a small Saturday morning market. Again one of our favourite aires.

They are probably both in the ‘All The Aires Book’

Have a good trip. Cattwg :-D

A small tip regarding Aires if you only need to empty and wash out your toilet cassette and water is only available by token or euro's dump your toilet waste down the appropriate gulley and use the water from your grey water tank to wash out your cassette.,

Some good tips here already, particularly use of the camping-car infos web site for info on aires. Are in France now on aire at Gravelines, well rec as a first stop, intro to aires, particularly now service point available just down road from parking (signed). Heading east this time next stop Stenay another good one for first time aires users ( canal side situation with hook-ups, toilets, showers etc for around 5€). For further info look at aires update thread on hints and tips section or best aires thread from a while ago or PM us for ideas in a specific area.

Guest 1footinthegrave

My tip would be, even in the most delightful spots wait until there are at least one other van parked up before you leave yours unattended. We have never had a problem but I always endeavour to do that.

Recently back from a 7 week trip, almost always using aires. Some wonderful, some mediocre, and some only useful when no other option available. What we did find on this occasion is more and more previously free, and some still marked as such in the Aires book are now making a charge. Quite amusing seeing the mostly French vans arriving, or departing before the Monsieur / Madam comes around to collect the fee in their 70K vans but apparently begrudging of parting with a few Euros. One Aire at Les Eyzies ( wonderful spot ) even has a notice asking early departures to drop their 5e fee of at the Marie if leaving before 9 am, I guess that's where they were all going at 8 am ! !. We also found quite a few private aires not listed in the book. I have to say whilst handy for the Ferry the Aire at Gravelines is not the best introduction to the Aire experience ;-)

Yesterday I ordered the CampingCar-Infos Clé USB which has details of all their Aires, so as to be able to get details of them when touring without internet access.

They will happily send one to the UK for 16.5€ and mine was posted today. Payment can be made using a bank card through Paypal and is on a secure webpage.

The most useful thing with their database is that they list many approved parking places and not just Aires with facilities. You need to scroll down the area page to find those.

Here is one by the canal at Castelsarrassin.

1771679240_IMG_0268(Small).JPG.5544b13425c5f52a01b64e5c3ef11c8c.JPG

Guest 1footinthegrave
Sorry, but blimey mate, it's a car park. That will bring a smile to the we hate Aires brigade. Most of the Aires we have stayed at have been more like a British CL but you need to do your home work to find the better ones sometimes. So don't let that picture put you off other readers here is one at Broglie for the princely sum of 5 Euro. :-)

P12.jpg.2e9ebb3de4a5f292f9d79c48285d0c2c.jpg

Good advice has been given but there has been no mention of things you must carry, you don't say if you have been there before so sorry if you know this

Spare set of bulbs

First Aid kit

Warning Triangles

Yellow safety jackets for EVERY passenger

Spare spectacles if required for driving

NO speed camera warning on your satnav

Photo copies of ALL your documents.

If the french police see fit to keep any of your documents after a check then you will have to collect them from the french embasy in London because they won't post them to you at home so always give them the photocopies if they ask for them.

Have a nice time, lovely country, lovely people

Guest 1footinthegrave
Syd - 2011-07-07 7:28 PM

Good advice has been given but there has been no mention of things you must carry, you don't say if you have been there before so sorry if you know this

Spare set of bulbs

First Aid kit

Warning Triangles

If the french police see fit to keep any of your documents after a check then you will have to collect them from the french embasy in London because they won't post them to you at home so always give them the photocopies if they ask for them.

Could I just add, beam benders for your headlamps, even if no intention of driving at night.

Also most French drivers will rubber neck behind you even on deserted straight roads, most of them need at least a five mile straight to consider overtaking you, my advice , don't look in your rear view mirror unless you want to overtake, then they won't stress you out sitting behind you, and don't hurry for them either your in a strange country driving on the opposite side of the road.

If travelling via Dover try stopping at one of the big shops like carrefour at cite europe and buy a french "Aire de Service de Camping Car" yes it is in French but it's not difficult to understand. :-D

PS Drive on the wrong side of the road :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
A word of caution, we witnessed two gentlemen of African appearance without doubt intent on stealing probably both bikes on a Dutch van parked up at Cite Europe. I always let the missus go of to the shops there and stay guarding the van, but after this experience we will never go there again. This is one of just a few places in France I would not leave my van unattended when we have gone previously, no doubt others do. When challenged by me and another Brit parked up, in pretty good English they told us to F*** off, but also immediately left. >:-(

hallii - 2011-07-07 9:13 PM

I believe sat nav speed camera warnings are OK. Any detector, on the other hand is very naughty and will be seized a hefty fine imposed and I think points on your licence.

H

Not sure whether this is correct now as the law has changed recently and all camera warnings on the road have been removed. This is very controversial in France. I must check up on this anyway as off to France again next week.

Personally I would suggest not wasting money on books / usb sticks just go to http://i-campingcar.fr/aires/accueil.htm and download both the pdf file and poi's.

Recent changes to the law have not made the use of gps (and included speed camera warnings) illegal.

Just been looking at a gps's with camera warnings in our local French hypermarket.

Hope you have fun and enjoy la vie francaise!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Having both the major aire publications I would agree with the above poster. The UK published one has many entries either out of date, or of dubious merit for inclusion IMO. As for the speed camera malarky, why is it an issue for any one, your supposed to be relaxing, I just keep to the speed limits and enjoy the view, and unlike parts of the UK you are given both plenty of warning and reminders of limits. Not sure about the camera warning sign issue if this is changing, but previously and when we recently returned at the end of June they seemed to be still in place and if you do see one you can bet there is a camera just a little further on, again unlike the UK ;-)

ian81 - 2011-07-09 1:45 PM

Personally I would suggest not wasting money on books / usb sticks just go to http://i-campingcar.fr/aires/accueil.htm and download both the pdf file and poi's.

I am using both those, but it is rather strange that the pdf for your computer has far fewer Aires than their POIs installed on my Garmin. The reason for suggesting the USB is that it has full details available and not just the fact that some sort of Aire exists. It also includes comments from users.

Yes you need to fill in your details, then they will send you the link to your TomTom download by email.

The same applies to the pdf, so you click on the part saying 'Téléchargez gratuitement les aires de services évaluées par i-Camping Car' then do the same.

These links are time limited so you need to download soon after you receive their email.

Syd - 2011-07-07 7:28 PM

Spare set of bulbs

First Aid kit

Warning Triangles

Re vehicle etc documents, the advice to carry copies is excellent, but do be aware that you are legally required to carry the originals of your driving licence, insurance certificate, and V5C registration document.

On speed limits, be aware that once you reach the roadside town/village nameboard, there is an automatically assumed 50KPH speed limit in force, unless otherwise indicated, that extends to the roadside sign showing the same town/village name with a diagonal line across it. Outside these areas, the national speed limit on two lane roads is 90KPH. This rises to 110KPH on dual carriageways - BUT ONLY IF THERE IS A CENTRAL RESERVATION (otherwise, unless signs indicate otherwise, the speed limit remains at 90KPH). Most free autoroutes have a 110KPH limit, most toll autoroutes a 130KPH limit. However, there are exceptions, so keep a sharp lookout for the signs. The French police play dirty, and hide with radar guns. Check your speed whenever you see a dark blue van at the roadside, even if it appears unoccupied, and especially if it has a door open! :-) Mostly, oncoming French drivers will flash their headlights at you to warn you of a police trap. Unless you are driving on the wrong side of the road, this is pretty much the only reason the French flash their lights to oncoming traffic. :-) If they do this when behind you, it means get out of my bleedin' way! :-D

As a general rule, speed limits are now more rigorously observed in France than in UK. This works in two ways. They don't generally (the odd idiot excepted) exceed the limit, but they do drive to the limit, (plus maybe 5%, just for old times sake! :-)). France is big, the roads are generally excellent in terms of surface and engineering, and the French drive A to B as fast as the law permits, and don't take prisoners. If you want to amble, or even travel just below the limit, make it easy for following traffic, including the odd artic, to pass you. They will come up fast behind you, follow close, and chop out at short notice. It is nothing whatever to do with GB on the back of your van, it is the way the French drive. Some hate it: I love it, because I do the same, and everyone knows what's what. It's just a bit different, that's all.

Stop signs mean stop. Even if the road is visibly empty for miles in either direction, when you meet a "STOP", your wheels must actually stop rotating before you proceed. If observed doing otherwise you are liable to an on the spot fine. "Cedez le Passage", on the other hand, means give way, so you do not have to stop.

Be alert that in some towns and villages, especially along the less major routes, "priority on the right" still exists. It is an absolute priority, and if you should hit a vehicle that emerges from a turning on your right where you do not have the priority, you will be presumed at fault. The clue can be seen as you enter the built up area. If you have the priority, there will be white lines across the right hand lane of every side turning, plus a stop sign (usually only the pole will be visible). If you see no white line across the side turning, assume the priority is with traffic from your right. It is fairly rare now, but all the more dangerous for that, because it now catches almost everyone unawares.

There is a new law that gives pedestrians absolute priority in towns. Not sure how this is working in practise, but it seems you will just have to drive slowly, and keep a sharp watch for people wanting to cross the roads.

Roundabouts. The French approach is not simply the UK approach reversed. Far too simple! :-) There is a widely held perception that the central "lane" on a roundabout is only for use by the semi-trailers of articulated trucks. This leads many French drivers to drive around a roundabout in the outer lane, even if they are turning left. Over the years, drivers have been taught differing rules as to whether to signal at roundabouts, and as to what signal to give. Some will signal right turn to enter the roundabout, and may carry on to execute a left turn! Many will not signal at all, and will happily go on to turn right, carry on ahead, or turn left, with no indication at any stage. Others will signal to exit, but will signal early, meaning they look as though they are taking the next exit, but carry on for the one after. A small percentage, mainly around the larger towns in northern France, have "got it" and signal right to turn right, nothing to go ahead, and left to turn left. However, don't rely on this because of the small group who just put on their right indicator as they enter the roundabout, as a warning that they will leave it at some stage! The saving grace is that French traffic engineers use roundabouts as a means of traffic calming, and not as a way of easing traffic flow. The entry to the roundabout is invariably abrupt, so all traffic must slow sharply, and the roundabout will frequently be quite heavily cambered, and of small radius, so that traffic is forced to negotiate it slowly. The joy is that they are all (nearly all) spectacularly and cleverly landscaped in the centre, to reflect the local, or regional, products or geology. This, too, has a function, which is to prevent any traffic approaching the roundabout from seeing what is approaching from any other direction! You just have to slow, mostly to stop, and then guess whether the approaching driver intends turning off, or whether they will carry on round (always remembering the drivers who signal right turn, but carry on round!). The odds on reading this right are no better that 50/50, even after extensive practise! The saving grace is that it all takes place slowly, so the worst that generally happens is a toot, but is accompanied by a number of false starts! You'll soon get the hang of it. :-)

Do not let any of the above put you off, or make you nervous. France is much, much, easier to drive around than the UK, and traffic levels are, in general, far lower. Most people drive around their local patch, so are on familiar territory, and know exactly where they are going, and how long they expect it to take. They therefore tend to be impatient with hesitant strangers. After a while, you will realise they are equally impatient with all hesitant strangers, not just those with GB on their number plates, and have exactly the same reaction to hesitant French strangers.

Until you get the hang of all this, try to avoid traversing towns on weekdays at around 12:00 mid day, when they all rush of home for lunch, and around 14:00, when they all rush back to work. On the other hand, traversing towns between 12:30 and 13:30 pm is great - because they are all at home tucking in! Simples! :-) Oh yes, also try to avoid supermarkets just before 12:00 mid day, because a lot of impatient French ladies still shop for lunch on the day, and be careful at about the same time in any town centre, including Saturdays and Sundays, because a lot of distracted French ladies pop off to the local boulanger to buy the bread for lunch, and engage in a kind of parking jousting that sometimes defies belief. Outside these times, you will mostly drift effortlessly through what appear to be sunlit ghost towns, and wonder if anyone lives there. Enjoy! :-D

JamesFrance - 2011-07-09 3:00 PM

Yes you need to fill in your details, then they will send you the link to your TomTom download by email.

The same applies to the pdf, so you click on the part saying 'Téléchargez gratuitement les aires de services évaluées par i-Camping Car' then do the same.

These links are time limited so you need to download soon after you receive their email.

Thanks James.

ian81 - 2011-07-09 12:45 PM

Recent changes to the law have not made the use of gps (and included speed camera warnings) illegal.

Just been looking at a gps's with camera warnings in our local French hypermarket.

Hope you have fun and enjoy la vie francaise!

We bought "All the Aires in France", never had a bad one yet. It's alright saying put them on a stick, but if your computer goes down your....... Buy the book :D

Regarding the law's I think you will find if your GPS has an old map then it is not against the law to use it. *-)

Archived