6 metre motorhomes

Suda

Guest JudgeMental
Mike B. - 2011-07-06 6:34 PM

How do you add a photo like that into the post?

Mike

when you write your reply, tick the box at bottom of page "add a picture from file" (or something like that)

then press "browse". select your desktop, or wherever picture stored (I always save to desktop first) and upload...Making sure file/size of pic not to big? or else you will get a "unsuccessful "message

I am considering treating myself to a new motorhome. I bought a used one as I wasn't sure if I'd take to the pastime but, having decided that I like it, I've been doing some research.

I'd never heard of Hobby, which I suspect is a bit of a niche market, but I noticed that two of this forum's most experienced and knowledgeable members, Messrs Kirby and Uzzell, both have Hobby Vans and I thought that, if they were chosen by them, they must be good.

I've been to look at one and was very impressed. Beautifully made with super finishes and lovely rounded furniture and excellent payload, which is something that I suspect many people do not pay enough attention to.

It is on a Ford Transit whereas most, including my current 'van are on Fiats. I've never had to reverse up a steep hill but, since buying mine I have read about the problems with Fiats, which may well be all over now anyway.

So do have a look at the Hobby Van, it's a fraction under 6 metres and has the transverse bed over a garage that you specify.

Guest JudgeMental
lennyhb - 2011-07-06 6:31 PM

Nice looking van Eddie but it's not a Low Profile. (lol)

That may be so....:-D But it has a very comfortable king size bed that you can sit up in and have a cup of tea? where many of the examples on here have beds a bit like sleeping on a book shelf, with your nose near the ceiling?. a slight exaggeration, but a lot of these low profiles with garages are very compromised in the sleeping department.....

It also has a 97L fridge/freezer and 100/90 litre tanks like many bigger vans. the shower is very tight though but a price worth paying, for the great handling, and the fact that it is so much more convenient and nicer to drive......

Hey Judge, nice van :-) Did you specify that bike rack? It looks like it's made for a coach-built 8-)

Mine clamps onto the rear door with no drilling required and will carry 35Kg max. Was yours bolted on to take more weight?

Guest JudgeMental
oldlowie - 2011-07-07 10:58 AM

Hey Judge, nice van :-) Did you specify that bike rack? It looks like it's made for a coach-built 8-)

Mine clamps onto the rear door with no drilling required and will carry 35Kg max. Was yours bolted on to take more weight?

Yes bolted on, it is a specific model for twin rear door panel vans and the only one I could find with a 50kg payload....have bougfht new lighter E bikes so without batteries carrying approx 37kg? you dont know they are on there to be honest...due to th vans wheelbase I guess (another advantge over some coachbuilts)

Its the "Omni-Bike Sport 2 Doors"

JudgeMental - 2011-07-06 7:53 PM

Mike B. - 2011-07-06 6:34 PM

How do you add a photo like that into the post?

Mike

when you write your reply, tick the box at bottom of page "add a picture from file" (or something like that)

then press "browse". select your desktop, or wherever picture stored (I always save to desktop first) and upload...Making sure file/size of pic not to big? or else you will get a "unsuccessful "message

I haven't got that box-only 'attach a file after posting' and when I tick that nothing happens!

Mike

francisgraham - 2011-07-06 8:24 PM

I am considering treating myself to a new motorhome. I bought a used one as I wasn't sure if I'd take to the pastime but, having decided that I like it, I've been doing some research.

I'd never heard of Hobby, which I suspect is a bit of a niche market, but I noticed that two of this forum's most experienced and knowledgeable members, Messrs Kirby and Uzzell, both have Hobby Vans and I thought that, if they were chosen by them, they must be good.

I've been to look at one and was very impressed. Beautifully made with super finishes and lovely rounded furniture and excellent payload, which is something that I suspect many people do not pay enough attention to.

It is on a Ford Transit whereas most, including my current 'van are on Fiats. I've never had to reverse up a steep hill but, since buying mine I have read about the problems with Fiats, which may well be all over now anyway.

So do have a look at the Hobby Van, it's a fraction under 6 metres and has the transverse bed over a garage that you specify.
However, the Van, in the form we have it, has its flaws. Of the type, the best I have so far seen, is the Adria Compact, as featured here: http://tinyurl.com/5t8uehaHowever, I gather that, for reasons best known to Adria, they are not being imported in RHD form. Assuming the Fiat problems have, by now, been eliminated (or at least made acceptable - don't start! :-)), it seems to resolve all the issues I have with the Van (none of which relate to the Transit as the base). We met a couple at Carcassonne in the spring who had one, and he gave me a brief tour, and I have to say I was very impressed. Still, what isn't available in RHD form in UK can always be obtained in LHD form, and Compacts seem very popular in Germany, which is an excellent place to buy, with favourable prices compared to UK. So, if a LHD van takes your fancy, an Adria Compact from Germany, at a fair price, might be well worth investigating.

Brian Kirby - 2011-07-07 7:01 PM
francisgraham - 2011-07-06 8:24 PM

However, the Van, in the form we have it, has its flaws. Of the type, the best I have so far seen, is the Adria Compact, as featured here: http://tinyurl.com/5t8uehaHowever, I gather that, for reasons best known to Adria, they are not being imported in RHD form. Assuming the Fiat problems have, by now, been eliminated (or at least made acceptable - don't start! :-)), it seems to resolve all the issues I have with the Van (none of which relate to the Transit as the base). We met a couple at Carcassonne in the spring who had one, and he gave me a brief tour, and I have to say I was very impressed. Still, what isn't available in RHD form in UK can always be obtained in LHD form, and Compacts seem very popular in Germany, which is an excellent place to buy, with favourable prices compared to UK. So, if a LHD van takes your fancy, an Adria Compact from Germany, at a fair price, might be well worth investigating.

I don't want left hand drive and would prefer to buy from my local dealer if possible, but thanks for the advice anyway.

What is the problem, or what don't you like about your Hobby? For me it seemed fine and is certainly the configuration that appeals. I was particular taken with the slightly longer one with two twins. Occasionally I may wish to share a trip with a friend but we're not that friendly and the two single beds appeal. The garage is also larger on the longer version.

The Adria is out if it's not imported, so it's still the Hobby at the top of the list.

francisgraham - 2011-07-07 7:57 PM

The Adria is out if it's not imported, so it's still the Hobby at the top of the list.

It is imported, I believe - see my previous post.

This RHD Adria Compact is at Webbs now at a knockdown price (follow advdert link).

bolero boy - 2011-07-07 7:11 PM

Brian, could this be what you are looking for?

I have actually been in this van at Webbs in Warminster, it's very nice (the van that is!).

http://www.webbsmotorcaravans.co.uk/motorcaravanDetails.php?ID=649

Yep, that's the fella! The one we saw was red where Webbs's is silver, but otherwise looks identical. Owners were very pleased with it. Well spotted.

I don't want left hand drive and would prefer to buy from my local dealer if possible, but thanks for the advice anyway.

What is the problem, or what don't you like about your Hobby? For me it seemed fine and is certainly the configuration that appeals. I was particular taken with the slightly longer one with two twins. Occasionally I may wish to share a trip with a friend but we're not that friendly and the two single beds appeal. The garage is also larger on the longer version.

The Van Exclusive L, which appears to be the Hobby you "covet" is the version I have had for a year, and so far am pretty satisfied with.I must admit that I'd be interested in Brian's views on his van, but IMO, all 'vans have their "niggles", and I haven't chosen one yet, out of the 8 choices and 9 'vans we've had, without there being an element of compromise. They've been bought against ever-changing family circumstances, and so different things have been compromised each time, but, in general, I've been happy with my choices having applied my experience of differing 'vans over the years.A good example would be the current Hobby 'van - I find the lower than normal width, on balance, much nicer to drive than the previous, somewhat wider than normal, 'A' Class (though I miss the "panoramic" windscreen). On-site, however, the reduced internal width is somewhat more restrictive for my less-than-sylphlike figure. It was something we identified, thought we could live with, and have proven we can!.

Robinhood - 2011-07-08 8:24 AM

The Van Exclusive L, which appears to be the Hobby you "covet" is the version I have had for a year, and so far am pretty satisfied with.I must admit that I'd be interested in Brian's views on his van, but IMO, all 'vans have their "niggles", and I haven't chosen one yet, out of the 8 choices and 9 'vans we've had, without there being an element of compromise. They've been bought against ever-changing family circumstances, and so different things have been compromised each time, but, in general, I've been happy with my choices having applied my experience of differing 'vans over the years.A good example would be the current Hobby 'van - I find the lower than normal width, on balance, much nicer to drive than the previous, somewhat wider than normal, 'A' Class (though I miss the "panoramic" windscreen). On-site, however, the reduced internal width is somewhat more restrictive for my less-than-sylphlike figure. It was something we identified, thought we could live with, and have proven we can!.

Thank you for that, it's most useful. The Adria mentioned above must be discontinued in the UK. The only ones under 7 metres on the Adria website are more of a van design, like Judgemental's, pictured above, but I have decided that I want a garage!

I also have a Hobby dealer very close and two more within an hour or so, which is important. The one I looked at was beautifully made and the more I read about Hobby the more I like the company and its modern building methods. So unlike the cottage industry approach of some of the smaller manufacturers.

And the ones who really know about caravans, the gypsies and tinkers, seem to rate them very highly!

Hi

Hobby has problems like all vans. We had the small<6m Hobby van from about 2006 to 2009. Overall quality good but one of the window blinds fell off driving on some mountain roads, as did some other bits and bobs, + problems with the roof. Also the stick on colour transfers on the sides had a habit of lifting in the corners.That being said niggles happen with all vans - overall we loved our hobby and especially the winterisation - took it sking a number of times and had temperatures down to -15c for extended period.

The reason we sold it was the fixed bed - there is only limited lounging space when the weather is not suitable for living outside. Thats my hobbyhorse! trying to find a <6m van without a fixed bed - they are thin on the ground.

Peter

peterjl - 2011-07-08 3:47 PM

Hi

The reason we sold it was the fixed bed - there is only limited lounging space when the weather is not suitable for living outside. Thats my hobbyhorse! trying to find a <6m van without a fixed bed - they are thin on the ground.

Peter

Seem to be plenty to choose from at Auto Sleepers. ;-)

peterjl - 2011-07-08 3:47 PM

trying to find a <6m van without a fixed bed - they are thin on the ground.

Peter

The 5.99m Burstner Ixeo Time it585 has the best of both worlds - a huge lounge (as there is no fixed bed) plus a drop down double which negates the pain of making up (and unmaking) a bed every day - my hobbyhorse! ;-)

Hence our change from a 630EK Bolero (similar to your Tracker) to a 680FB where the lounge is far more comfortable than the typical 'euro' design yet room for a fixed bed in the rear.

PS Rapido 700FF is of a similar ilk.

Archived