Motorhome Parking

Cornishgal

As a newcomer to Motorhoming, one of our biggest problems is finding suitable parking (a subject I understand affects other users if what I read is correct). Having just returned from the Peak District one of the places I would have liked to have walked was from the start at Edale for Kinder Scout, but when we got to the turnoff at Hope there was a height restriction which prevented us from using that road. In this months MMM magazine by coincidence there is an article by Helen Werin where she has clearly parked here and I wondered if any of you more experienced people could tell me whether she might have gone 'over' Winnats Pass or did she manage to negotiate the bridge on Edale Road. Many thanks.

Guest pelmetman

Welcome to the forum:D.............Sadly, as you have discovered you have joined a persecuted minority*-)

My advice is to head to France as soon as you can;-).................spend your money there as our councils have too much....................... to cater for the likes of us(lol) 

Now, my memory is a little rusty, but I don't recall any height restrictions if going over Winnats pass and on to Edale from there, but then we where in a VW T25 so didn't take much notice of the bridge between Hope and Edale.

pelmetman - 2011-07-06 9:17 PMWelcome to the forum:D.............Sadly, as you have discovered you have joined a persecuted minority*-)

My advice is to head to France as soon as you can;-).................spend your money there as our councils have too much, to cater for the likes of us(lol) 
I think you'll find it's a railway bridge that has the height restriction.

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2011-07-06 9:20 PM
pelmetman - 2011-07-06 9:17 PMWelcome to the forum:D.............Sadly, as you have discovered you have joined a persecuted minority*-)

My advice is to head to France as soon as you can;-).................spend your money there as our councils have too much, to cater for the likes of us(lol) 
I think you'll find it's a railway bridge that has the height restriction.

My belly's not that big8-)

Welcome.

I'm surprised at your post, as I've driven that road many times, (though in the car) and can't recall anything that would restrict most 'vans.

AFAIK, the lowest bridge is that leading off the main road into into Edale Village itself (and from checking on Google Streetview, even that has a clearance of 12ft 3in.) The other three railway bridges betwen Hope and Edale are higher than this. There is a (admittedly irregular) bus service using this road.

Using the same method, I can't see any height restriction signs at the start of the road in Hope, either!

Is your 'van approaching or over 12ft3in, or was the sign you saw more restrictive than this?

You could certainly get into the Edale valley over Winnatts and Mam Nick (the Castleton-Edale bus uses that route); it might be "interesting" in winter though. (Whilst walking a couple of Winters ago, we had great fun watching vehicles inadvertantly using The Winnats as a toboggan run 8-) )

It's worth noting, however, that parking in Edale (even for a car) is notoriously difficult at most times.

Thank you all for your welcome, it is a little daunting joining a forum for the first time. Our height is 3m (Broadway EK Autosleeper) so perhaps it was a width restriction I saw (the sign also said no coaches). Perhaps next time we'll risk Winnats pass (making sure it's summer time). We have already tried France last year which we loved and yes, the parking there seemed easier, although we only made it to Brittany. Thanks again.

Cornishgal - 2011-07-06 10:52 PM

Thank you all for your welcome, it is a little daunting joining a forum for the first time. Our height is 3m (Broadway EK Autosleeper) so perhaps it was a width restriction I saw (the sign also said no coaches). Perhaps next time we'll risk Winnats pass (making sure it's summer time). We have already tried France last year which we loved and yes, the parking there seemed easier, although we only made it to Brittany. Thanks again.

I believe there is an "unsuitable for long vehicles" sign (which I would ignore), other than that, unless I could convince myself that there was really a problem, I'd do it on the Hope-Edale road rather than Winnats every time.

(But given the parking issues, I'd park up at or near one of the stations down the line and do it by train - IMO Edale was always best "attacked" by the railway)

Archived