domestic oven

troy

domestic oven  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hi all,,,, i have just took delivery of a luna premier 622.. the domestic oven is above fridge freezer bout 4inch from roof of motorhome... when i cookd some garlic bread for 25 mins the roof got realy hot.. im verry consernd as i think in time the roof will go brown from the heat... can enyone advise me if they have the same problems... or eny advice would be realy appriciated.. regards troy

Try and cook a roast Pork dinner not forgetting the crackling. Oven flat out etc. Check that the crackling is cooking well by opening the oven door to have a look. When the dinner is eaten then check the roof for fat splatter or burns. Honestly, It sounds like a daft idea to me and having now taken delivery I suggest you write to the supplier formally asking them to confirm that all the necessary tests associated with the oven have been done. You want an answer in writing. As a precaution I would be tempted to fix to the roof immediately above and in front of the oven door a thin sheet of stainless steel to act as a heat shield / fat catcher. This sounds like an interesting topic, please keep this thread up-dated with progress. Good luck C.

This seems to be quite a popular, but very bad, place to put ovens.  However, I'm surprised at a UK manufacturer going down this route.  It's normally where they stick the oven on imports, for us "must have an oven" Brits.

Apart from the disadvantage Troy has identified, ovens mounted so high are downright dangerous.  You risk burning your arms on hot metal when trying to reach inside, or tipping a load of hot fat down your front when trying to retrieve Clive's roast pork! 

Assuming Troy's 'van gives over 6' 0" of headroom, that would put the floor of the oven somewhere near 5' 0" up.  Allowing for women being, on average, shorter than men, (my wife is around 5' 2" tall) that is verging on irresponsible design.

Won't help Mr and Mrs Troy, though.  I'd have a chat to trading standards, to see if there might be grounds for rejecting the whole 'van as unfit for purpose - though I very much doubt it.  Failing that, complain to the dealer and Lunar and see if they will contemplate moving the oven. 

Otherwise, Clive's suggestion seems your best, but highly unsatisfactory, bet.

hi clive.. was thinking of putting some heat resistant glass above oven... realy hope someone has the same van as me would like to see what they have to say.... this is quite a common design now in new continential motorhomes.

Hi Troy, Well, the lads above have all said about the same thing. I wouldn,t use glass as its thick, heavy, fragile and difficult to fix to the roof. OK I can understand that it might be nearly invisable but its still GLASS and its above your head when you open the oven door and some very hot air will impinge on the end of it. Just think of the thermal stresses, especially round the holes that have been drilled in it to fix it to the roof. I generally keep one eye out for scrapped catering equipment at our recycling centre (dump) as this is a good source of stainless steel. However the cost of new stainless steel has fallen a lot over recent years, the problem is finding a local outlet. I like the dump! the side of a food cabinet for a pound is good value and think of all the little non rusting brackets you can make with it as well. Drop a note to the supplier would be my first suggestion, friendly but quite specific requiring a formal answer. Good luck

It gets worse: Dometic have recently introduced a combination unit of fridge, separate freezer compartment and oven above it. Even if the unit is floor mounted, the oven is too high for safe use. Is it one of these combination units that's fitted to the Lunar? Expect more of them - the advantage from the converter's point of view is that there's only one gas connection and one 12 volt connection to make for all three devices. In my 'umble view, placing any oven (home, m'home, caravan, anywhere) so that the inside top of the oven is above eye level is potentially fraught with danger - removing anything hot from the oven with hands at or above eye level without being able to see it properly makes the hairs on the back of my neck . . . . you get the picture. I don't have current statistics for average and standard deviation of female height (I'm not being sexist about cooking - just recognising that the mean is lower than for men), but I'm sure converters and Dometic can get the details without difficulty. After all, car designers do so.

hi mell.. it is above the fridge and freezer its about 5 half foot high... not realy a problem for me but it would certainly to high for enyone small.. its not the hight i have a problem with.. its the roof of the motorhome thats my worry... going out in the van next weekend and gona cook a meal in it... and will take it from there... i will ring my dealer brownhills newcastle if i have eny problems will keep u all posted meny thanks,

Troy Re a Glass heat shield Across the top of most cookers is a Glass surface that gives you an extra work top there are instructions etched onto hese that you must allow the hot plates to cool before lowering the glass it is not only motorhomes and caravans where this pracitse is now current fashion We were looking a kitchens last year. In each show room was at least one such combinatioin - Oven situated on top of the fridge, and too high for safe lifting in/out of hot food containers One had the cooker at ground level; but, with the oven walls touching the fridge walls - no seperater or insulater between

Our now old fasioned motorhome has the fridge to the right of the 4 burner hob / grill / oven. Just like in most homes and both under the work surface. And yes the oven is clad in Glass - not something I would have prefered, but so far we haven,t broke any. It does have the warning mentioned above. Enjoy the trip out and report back soonest. C.

Archived