Cost

carolbtogo

Hello all,

I used tow a caravan, but sold up after being bereaved. I have just got a motorhome. There is only myself and my small dog.

I have just joined the CCC., because they give an over 55 discount. I also joined the motorhome section. I have just received details of rallies, meets etc. I just cannot understand why the cost per unit per night is so high. Most seem to be in fields etc, with no amenities or electric so how and why are such nightly charges justified. Admittedly they are for two people. ( I miss out being single, must be a rarity!) I have checked the charges and they range from £6.00. to £10.00. per night.

A water tap and empty point seem to be the only things provided.

I would like to know what other single motorhomers think about this and what do they do?

Thankyou

My Missus was complaining about £17.05 on a club site the other day, we often stop on cl's and pay between £6.00 to £10.00 including hook up, but I said the same, been watching that 4 in a bed, different b & b owners judging each other, cheapest we have seen yet was £55.00, and to be honest, i would sooner stop in the van.

Pete

yrocker - 2011-07-08 3:40 PM

How much would you like to pay?

A lot better than £70 for a travel inn!

That's a nice reply to someone's introductory post........ *-)

To the OP, I have to admit to not using UK sites, well only VERY rarely, but that doesn't sound very expensive to me. Even stopping on a pub carpark would cost you a couple of drinks or so.

Staying on Aires in France are not much cheaper these days when using the services is included.

Wildcamping may be free but whether you'd want to do that on your own is a different matter.

Hope it doesn't put you off motorhoming

:-)

Hi Carol and welcome to the forum :-D

For that sort of price you'd be able to get a pitch on a C&CC site using your over 55 discount off high season.

Do bear in mind that on a C&CC site you pay per person and not per pitch :-D

The only thing extra would be electric and/or hardstanding if you wanted a little luxury, although your THS's, etc, don't usually even offer electric.

Keith.

Guest Tracker

Hi Carol and welcome to the forum. Not everyone will have a go at you but please don't be offended as it is often difficult to put across what one means without the face to face contact of a normal conversation and it is so easy to misinterpret intended humour as grumbles.

I'm afraid weekend meets etc are geared towards couples per unit and having been in the same situation a few years ago that you are now I too was unamused at having to pay the same as for a twosome.

However it is still a lot less expensive than most proper sites and with no need to pre book - mostly - you do have the luxury of making a last minute decision where to, or even whether to go.

My solution was to find myself a new wife but that has turned out to be a lot more expensive than solo camping (you will get used to my sense of humour - possibly?).

Anything you need to ask no matter how daft it may seem to you don't be afraid - we all had to learn once upon a time and most of us (apart from a few knowitalls) are still learning!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new toy.

PS There are some groups specially for lone campers and although I did not much enjoy their meets many did. There is The New Companions, Phoenix, and Loners Group and the link will show you their contacts.

http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/caravanning/addressesg2p.htm

Hi Carol, and welcome.

Although we're members of CCC, we've never used the THSs (or indeed the "proper" Club sites). We joined purely to get access to the CS network, which we find very good value. We've stayed on some for as little as £3.50 for the unit, and certainly some of them charge "per person," which would give you an advantage. Give them a whirl - all the prices are in the Big Book.

Enjoy your motorhome, and when you're ready to take it abroad (or course you will!) put a request on here for advice - loads of us will pitch in (many of us contradicting each other!) and out of all that you should be able to distill what helps you.

Best wishes

Tony

Welcome to the world of motorhoming and to the forum.

Temporary Holiday Sites and Club Rallies are held on fields owned by individuals/schools/sports clubs etc. not CCC. The CCC has to pay a charge per unit to the owners. There will then be a small addition which goes to the District Association or Special Interest Group of the CCC which is organizing the meet (I imagine to cover the cost of stationery and other DA/SIG expenses.) The stewards and organisers of these meets are VOLUNTEERS ( not receiving pay and using their holiday or leisure time to run the meet.) The cost of any meet will obviously reflect the charge made by ther owner of the field. We have found that the fees of THS sites we used last year (£5 and £7.50) in late July/August were excellent value (admittedly for a couple). Having said that the £7.50 fee was for a THS on a school field with showers available and only 10 minutes walk from the harbour of a picturesque seaside town. This year the fee is £8.50 which I think even for one person (given the location, facilities and high season time) offers good value. (I assume the price rise reflects an increase made by the school - when we first stayed two years ago I think the overall fee was £7 per unit - and the school received £5 of that .)

As someone else has pointed out the CCC sites charge per person and out of High Season (and on a small number of sites even in High Season ) the Age Discount means that they provide very good or even excellent value if you do not require electric hook up.

I trust that you enjoy your motorhome and being a member of CCC. Both can be great (as welll as occasionally causing frustrations.)

£6 per night is cheap my friend. The cost of public liability insurance and the general upkeep of an acre of land is quite high, even mowing the lawn is a 4 hr job and costs a few quid in fuel then theres the strimming the cost of weed killer etc etc etc. I have said it before and I will say it again theres no money to be made in running a CL unless your one of the few in a very touristy area, so £6 per night really aint much to pay.

Guest 1footinthegrave
carolbtogo - 2011-07-08 2:22 PM

Hello all,

I used tow a caravan, but sold up after being bereaved. I have just got a motorhome. There is only myself and my small dog.

I have just joined the CCC., because they give an over 55 discount. I also joined the motorhome section. I have just received details of rallies, meets etc. I just cannot understand why the cost per unit per night is so high. Most seem to be in fields etc, with no amenities or electric so how and why are such nightly charges justified. Admittedly they are for two people. ( I miss out being single, must be a rarity!) I have checked the charges and they range from £6.00. to £10.00. per night.

A water tap and empty point seem to be the only things provided.

I would like to know what other single motorhomers think about this and what do they do?

Thankyou

Well I'm not single but if I was I would be following in the footsteps of these inspirational guys we met recently on our latest trip. Ian aged 80 ex HGV driver, Wally aged 74 complete with wind surfer, and Ron who did not give his age, all having the time of their lives roaming around France staying at mostly free Aires, all single and footloose. If your near to the channel that would be my recommendation. 10 Euro's will see you on most French municipal sites with all facilties, zilch to just a few Euros on the Aires. We also met up with a Dutch guy who does it all for free, he seeks out light duty site help opportunities in exchange for his pitch.

£10 a night for a spot in a field with just a water tap, no not for me thanks.

We don't do rallies (maybe we should *-) )

But the ones we have come across have usually had organised activities, some of which had prizes, BBQ's, trips to attractions etc.

Maybe some of the pitch fee goes toward paying for these activities, so it may pay you to check and see what is being organised for the stay. :-D

Rgds

Hello again everyone,

I have been out with my new toy so thats why I have not replied sooner!

Thankyou all for your valued comments and welcome. What I was trying to say (not very well) was why are rallies, meets etc so expensive compared to club sites. I have just been to West Runton CCC site in Norfolk. Wonderful! Staff were lovely, especially to this newbie! There were lovely flower beds, the amenities were great and so clean. The icing on the cake is that my camper returned 40.6 mpg!!!

One thing I have noticed is that motorhomers just love to talk. It does not seem to matter what their vehicle is new/old ,large/small. Some even waved to me as I was going along. (of course I waved back!) I think I like this motorhome fraternity. I have also been told that motorhoming will become an obsession! I thought it was a joke, now I am not so sure! It really does seem to be a very nice way to enjoy oneself. :-)

Whilst i was waiting at the dealers for my van to be serviced I got talking to a lady who also had her van in for a service. She too was a single traveller at 65 years young, she was about to travel down to Spain using the Plymoth Santander Ferry. Asked her if she had done this before and she said that she hadn't although when it was her and her husband they often toured UK and only talked about touring Europe. What a very adventurous lady, so Carol, you are not alone and Motorhomers of any Nationality will generally always be willing to assist or provide advice. Enjoy :D

Hello and welcome to this collection of disparate souls, all with motorhoming in common (lol)

You can pay pretty much any amount you want, from £3.50 (yes, really) to over £100 per night 8-)

Only you can decide what you think is a fair price, but £10 for a basic site, up to £35 for a full-facility site seems fair to me.

A CCC THS near me cost a bargain £6.60 a night; the farmer got £6.00 of that! The lovely people who run these sites are not trying to rip anyone off. *-)

Enjoy your solo camping...

carolbtogo - 2011-07-14 8:22 PM

What I was trying to say (not very well) was why are rallies, meets etc so expensive compared to club sites. I have just been to West Runton CCC site in Norfolk. Wonderful! Staff were lovely, especially to this newbie! There were lovely flower beds, the amenities were great and so clean. -)

Hi,

Im glad you have discovered the joys of using your campervan and of CCCsites.

Your comment shows just what excellent value CCC sites can be (despite what some detractors say).

Archived