French autoroute tolls

wibs

Can anyone help. I have a McLouis 700 which is 3050mm in height. This officially brings it in as a Class 3 for toll purposes (being 5cm over the max for Class 2). Are the tolls charged on exact height or is there a bit of leeway afforded?

I think that they have a measuring system at the toll booth, that measures the height over the front wheels. We have a van conversion and have been charged less that some with the Luton fronts. Like the M6 Toll it is the Height over the front wheels our front is also 5cm over the height limit quoted. Not that I expect to ever use the M6 Toll road We cant miss the M6 though

The French Autoroute toll system changed about 3 years' ago. The difference between Classes 2 and 3 becoame much more difficult for the toll takers to spot: Class 2 is vehicles between 2m and 3m tall with a Max Plated Weight of up to 3.5 tonnes, towing a caravan or trailer within the same height restriction Class 3 is vehicles with 2 axles, over 3m tall and over 3.5 tonnes Max Wt Class 4 is the same as Class 3 for vehicles with more than 2 axles. We used a large 4.2 tonne Max Authorised Mass m'home and were never asked about weight or charged more than Class 2 (even when towing a car). My guess is that you're most unlikely to pay outside Class 2 most of the time. The extra 2 to 3 is about 50%. But if you have an Alko tag axle, beware: the difference 2 to 4 is around double and up to 3 times (the A1 Paris to Lille is especially bad, going from 23.10 to 77.20 in 2004 prices.

You will be charged class 2. I have travelled French Autoroutes for more years than I care to remember and never in all that time has anybody ever come out of a toll booth to messure any vehicle I've driven or seen at a toll booth. Years back I had a van conversion and sometimes I'd be charged class one for cars and sometimes class three as it was then for camping cars. When I challenged this it was made clear that all camping cars regardless of size were classed as camping cars,so be gratefull when you're driving a van conversion and get charged class one. It is up to the booth attendant to size up the vehicle and human nature being what it is he or she is unlikely to get out of the booth as it would cause delays and the attendant doesn't want the trouble and they certainly don't have a list of van heghts and weights. Bill Ord

Nice to hear someone out there also has a McLouis, we have a 690, and travelled round France using the autoroutes. There seems to be some leeway with thew height, and we did not think we were overcharged. Keep in touch as we may be able to swap infor and hopefully not any problems with MAC in the future. If you wish to e-mail me about anything its jenclin@aol.com.

Archived