towing capacity of autosleeper duetto

jolly

Hi

we are thinking of buying a 1994 Ford Transit 2.5 turbo l dlesel Autosleeper Duetto.

Does anyone know how much weight this model can tow? We want to tow our boat but don't know if the Duetto is capable.

I have asked Autosleeper, the agent who last sold it, and Ford, but no one can help me. Can you?

thank you

Hi Sheila and welcome to the forum,

If you can get to view the MH then all you need to do is look at the VIN plate which will probably be either under the bonnet or on the side of the drivers seat base.

It will have something like 4 weights on it, the first is the Max vehicle weight (without trailer), the second the Max weight WITH a trailer and then the last 2 are axle Max weights.

So to find the Max trailer weight all you have to do is subtract the first from the second.

If you can't get to view the vehicle could you get the seller to email you a photo of the plate, or even tell you the figures over the phone?

Keith.

Keithl - 2011-07-09 10:32 AM...................If you can get to view the MH then all you need to do is look at the VIN plate which will probably be either under the bonnet or on the side of the drivers seat base.

It will have something like 4 weights on it, the first is the Max vehicle weight (without trailer), the second the Max weight WITH a trailer and then the last 2 are axle Max weights.

So to find the Max trailer weight all you have to do is subtract the first from the second............................................Keith.

But be careful, because this is not necessarily definitive. Ford (and others) may also stipulate (depending on model) a maximum braked trailer weight, which may not equate to the difference between MAM and GTW. You really need to check the Ford owner's handbook to see if this applies.

Brian Kirby - 2011-07-09 2:49 PM

Keithl - 2011-07-09 10:32 AM...................If you can get to view the MH then all you need to do is look at the VIN plate which will probably be either under the bonnet or on the side of the drivers seat base.

So to find the Max trailer weight all you have to do is subtract the first from the second............................................Keith.

But be careful, because this is not necessarily definitive. Ford (and others) may also stipulate (depending on model) a maximum braked trailer weight, which may not equate to the difference between MAM and GTW. You really need to check the Ford owner's handbook to see if this applies.

I believe Keith is correct - if the maximum vehicle weight figure on the VIN-plate is subtracted from the maximum train weight figure, the difference will represent the maximum permissible weight for a braked trailer as advised by the vehicle's manufacturer. For example (using the figures "Bob" gave in the 2005 forum thread I quoted earlier) if the 1st figure on the VIN-plare is 2900kg and the 2nd 4650kg, then the maximum permissible weight for a braked trailer will be 1750kg. It would not be logical for it to be otherwise.

There will be a potential problem if someone were unwise enough to weigh the towing vehicle, subtract that weight (assuming it's below the 1st VIN-plate figure) from the 2nd VIN-plate figure and then use the difference as a trailer maximum weight. Then the loaded trailer would indeed exceed the maximum trailer weight specified by the vehicle manufacturer, even though the vehicle's Gross Train Weight (GTW) will not have been exceeded.

There's a need for care weight-wise with Duettos based on Mk 5 (essentially pre- Year 2000) or earlier Transits. These Duettos were available with turbo-charged or non-turbo diesel motors and with manual or automatic gearboxes. As "Bob" points out, the GTW differs according to which motor was fitted (and, I suspect, which gearbox). Because a non-turbo Duetto was hardly a ball of fire, quite a few were turbocharged retrospectively (often by TB Turbo at Lancaster), but this would not have uprated the original GTW. This does mean that it's important to check the VIN-plate and not rely on adverts being accurate. For instance:

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/auto-sleepers/duetto/1994/at8a647b6f3075324e0130b192a3376a01/auto-sleepers-duetto-diesel

I THINK 1994 automatic Duettos were not marketed by Auto-Sleepers with a turbocharged motor and they certainly never had a 3500kg payload! In fact, it could well be that the 3500kg figure quoted in the advert is the vehicle's Gross Train Weight.

The torque output of the 2.5 Transit turbo was to much for the auto box . As a result was only available on the naturally aspirated unit. The non turbo Trannie with manual box was hardly a ball of fire in any case.

I do not have any figures for train weight but going by the number you used to see towing largish lumps of plant on twin axle trailers it would be at least 1500kg.

Guest pelmetman
If its any help our ford handbook say's I can tow up to 1500k with the swb, and my camper is based on a 1990 swb transit, non turbo:D....................and as people say it will never get stolen for use as a getaway vehicle:$...........it will get us anywhere slowly(lol)........even out of Lamorna cove in Cornwall where other coachbuilt campers would fear to tread;-)  

Archived