snow chains

lez

Hi Chain Gang, an old motor homing mate of mine lives up a very steep hill in Briton Ferry, average tarmac surface, but on a wet day F.W.D.s just will not go up, he got fed up with having to reverse his F.W.D.motor home up it on wet days so has gone back to rear wheel drives. It is OK for him he can afford Mercs. I'm not knocking all F.W.Ds, I had a mini when I was working, with chains on the front wheels no snow ever stopped it, but the wife had a Wolseley 1885 S, same idea as the Mini but twice the size and weight, it was hopeless, as far as traction was concerned, even got front wheel spin taking off from traffic lights on a good dry road.

Hi, I know they use 4WD and FWD for rally cars but i don't think i have heard of any one using a RWD rally car for more years than i care to remember ?? anyone know WHY ?? I have also been told that there is a problem with RWD motorhomes and the floor heights ? i don't know if this is a problem or not ? Oh i drive a RWD mercedes C220 CDI auto estate with ABS ASR etc, and the hand book tells me to turn off the ASR ? when on snow or ice ? i though that was when they were most needed ? Brian

Hello Enodreven, I expect most rally cars are FWD because most cars are built that way these days, the only RWD seem to be expensive ones like Mercs BMWs & Volvos etc. It is of course a lot cheaper to build FWDs the complete unit goes in as one lump on the production line instead of having to join up the drive to the back axle. In general FWDs do not make good tow cars, with a few exceptions like Citroens, but they have been building FWDs since goodness knows when. I wonder how a rally driver would get on with a motor home???

Archived