Not a lot of people know this. ATM PIN Number Reversal

postnote

If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your PIN in reverse.

For example, if your pin number is 1234, then you would put in 4321. The ATM system recognizes that your PIN number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine. The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to the location.

All ATM's carry this emergency sequencer by law. This information was recently broadcast on Crime Stoppers however it is seldom used because people just don't know about it.

Guest ChrisB

My PIN is 6226.

Haven't had the police racing to the ATM every time I withdraw money :-)

Chris

Don't you just hate it when people say P(ersonal)I(dentification)N(umber) Number? ;-)

Guest ChrisB
pkc - 2011-07-09 11:53 AM

Where did you say you keep your card again Chris?

Do you think I'm stupid? I didn't give the real number - I reversed it to keep it secret!

Chris

woody. - 2011-07-09 10:10 PM

When i see these stories i always go to snopes.com , and with this one it said that this story is false , it had been suggested but was too costly to implement , but its do-able .Click or paste to see the item .

http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/pinalert.asp

Woody, you should know, you can't believe everything you read :D :D :D

postnote - 2011-07-09 10:42 AM

If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your PIN in reverse.

For example, if your pin number is 1234, then you would put in 4321. The ATM system recognizes that your PIN number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine. The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to the location.

All ATM's carry this emergency sequencer by law. This information was recently broadcast on Crime Stoppers however it is seldom used because people just don't know about it.

I don't think it's a good idea to post this; all it does is to propagate this old internet myth.

It is NOT true. Never was.

BGD - 2011-07-10 9:22 AM

I don't think it's a good idea to post this; all it does is to propagate this old internet myth.

It is NOT true. Never was.

How can you say this....have you tried? :D

Guest ChrisB
But, as I tried to point earlier but appear to have failed, it’s unworkable with “palandromic” PINs – unless you ban theses numbers or want the fuzz to show up everytime cash is withdrawn on the offchance you are being mugged..

ChrisB - 2011-07-10 11:01 AM

But, as I tried to point earlier but appear to have failed, it’s unworkable with “palandromic” PINs – unless you ban theses numbers or want the fuzz to show up everytime cash is withdrawn on the offchance you are being mugged..

You will find that Visa etc will not let you enter pin numbers such as 2332 or 6556 ;-)

donna miller - 2011-07-10 5:00 PM

the police will be immediately dispatched to the location.

That is the funniest thing I have ever heard.

Unless of course your car tax has run out and you drove to the cashpoint.

Cynic... ;-)

Guest pelmetman

I can't imagine the police turning up in a rush to a cash point*-)...........I sent our local plod an email as I gave up trying to ring, about someone who had attempted to nick the number plates of my car*-)

Forgot all about it, and over a month later I got a reply whilst we were on holiday(lol)

Must be why they're known as the Plod(lol)

Archived