Aire at Lumbres

LordThornber

Guest 1footinthegrave

Not stayed at that particular one and our experience of a stopover at a supermarket was not the best with delivery trucks arriving. Not sure where your heading to, or if this would be too far out of your way, but we found what we consider to be probably one of the nicest aires in france and reasonably handy for Calais at Embry, run by a wonderful French couple with a spotless toilet facility, I think 6 Euros and ( pay extra ) showers and service point. You can see it on google earth, D108 road just coming north out of the village. Wonderful peaceful spot, and would put most UK CLs to shame. Keep it to yourself though !

P.S a nice touch we thought was the visitors book ! !

Thanks for that 1foot, I used the Leclerc only for a combination of arrival time ( 1 - 2 am ish) and direction, (Dordogne).

I'll save your suggestion for when we're arriving at a more friendly time. Or possibly on our return as it happens...

Martyn

1footinthegrave - 2011-07-09 7:28 PM

Not stayed at that particular one and our experience of a stopover at a supermarket was not the best with delivery trucks arriving. Not sure where your heading to, or if this would be too far out of your way, but we found what we consider to be probably one of the nicest aires in france and reasonably handy for Calais at Embry, run by a wonderful French couple with a spotless toilet facility, I think 6 Euros and ( pay extra ) showers and service point. You can see it on google earth, D108 road just coming north out of the village. Wonderful peaceful spot, and would put most UK CLs to shame. Keep it to yourself though !

P.S a nice touch we thought was the visitors book ! !

I'm not currently near an aires book - but is the aire at Embry just outside the village and with a rather steep entrance? (If it's the one I'm thinking of we planned to stop there last year but thought we'd ground the back of overhang on the entrance, so decided against.)

My Lord, a more easily reached alternative could be the Auchan supermarket at St Martin Boulogne. This is reached by turning off the A16 when you see the illuminated sign for the Buffalo Grill and then turning east on the N42, following the signs for the Centre Commercial. We spent a very peaceful night there, apart from a short spell of heavy rain, last Tuesday night. If you need to fill with water then you will have to wait until the service station is open so you can buy a jeton for €2.

J

Hi John, thankyou for this one too, another more than useful stop for our return.

It's on the A26 about 1 hour max from the Tunnel I'm looking for, I should have made that clearer in my first post.

I'm getting picky now but something not too far off the A26 would be a bonus too, this is why I suggested Lumbres.

Martyn

We usually stop at Arques but depending what time you arrive its 2e to park by the lakes behind the reception area if you are late arriving you can park on the service point outside the site which we have done many times . Rue Michelet off D210 also you can get diesel at the carrefour in Arques last month it was 1.28e ltr.

eljay - 2011-07-09 10:15 PM

My Lord, a more easily reached alternative could be the Auchan supermarket at St Martin Boulogne. This is reached by turning off the A16 when you see the illuminated sign for the Buffalo Grill and then turning east on the N42, following the signs for the Centre Commercial. We spent a very peaceful night there, apart from a short spell of heavy rain, last Tuesday night. If you need to fill with water then you will have to wait until the service station is open so you can buy a jeton for €2.

J

I avoid Hypermarket car parks after once staying at the Auchan at Calais, sleep was impossible lorries arriving & departing all night, and forklift trucks unloading all night.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Solwaybuggier - 2011-07-09 9:37 PM

I'm not currently near an aires book - but is the aire at Embry just outside the village and with a rather steep entrance? (If it's the one I'm thinking of we planned to stop there last year but thought we'd ground the back of overhang on the entrance, so decided against.)

No it did not strike us rather steep at all, as I said you can google earth street view to take a look Embry then look for D108 north of the village, It looks as if it has been newly laid tarmac though perhaps it appeared steep before ( I may have said D106 in earlier post). But may be a little bit off route for the OP, but lovely stop.

1footinthegrave - 2011-07-10 2:56 PM

No it did not strike us rather steep at all, as I said you can google earth street view to take a look Embry then look for D108 north of the village, It looks as if it has been newly laid tarmac though perhaps it appeared steep before ( I may have said D106 in earlier post). But may be a little bit off route for the OP, but lovely stop.

Yes, I'm sure that's the one - really sorry we didn't persist with it now!

We have overnighted on more than one occasion at both the port car park at Calais and the Norfolk Lines (now DFDS) car park at Dunkerque. Neither was overly noisy – but you will need blinds to screen out the lighting at Calais.

Cattwg :-D

Martyn, as you know we are great supporters of the aires network but never use supermarket aires or recommend them. We have stayed on parking area at Calais dock and found it O.K. but last time we had a late arrival (23.00) in mid-summer we could not find a space. From tunnel, if heading west, we now use Magasin Cap Nature at Audinghen. Used to be just France Passion but now a general aire. Parking is secure, in courtyard but might nit be suited to a very late arrival. So Arques maybe your best bet this time.

Hi Robert & Jean, thanks for this.

Must admit I don't care for port stays much, we've done a few here and there and never had even a half decent kip - hence us doing the 1 hour max drive.

If we get an early tunnel ride we'll be over there 1am ish so want to cause as little disruption as poss so Audinghen will be a no too :-(

Arques is looking fave :-D

Martyn

Archived