Where to go or avoid in N. France

lureeves

Hello Lovely people.

We have just bought our first ever motorhome (Hymer) and are excitedly planning going to France (North and middlely bit) for 2 weeks in August.

Have heard it can be great and awful, depending on where you go. Any tips on where to go or avoid would

really, really welcome.

We're a quiet-ish family, after nice views, rivers, lakes, beaches etc and away from loud and cramped sites.

ANY help welcome

Thank you

Lu

:-D

Hi,

Someone will no doubt be able to help, we have done N.France many times but we are a cheapskate family and we also go July/ August usually. But are more than willing to put up with the sometimes crowded Aires and just thank our lucky stars if we find somewhere stunning and uncrowded at that time of year.

We have done the occasional municipal campsite only to find that too was very crowded and less friendly than the Aire. Remember a motorhome is for moving not sitting on one site for 2 weeks and only seeing that area so if you find somewhere you are not happy with you can always up sticks and find another. This is what I and my children love most about the van, other half not that much as he does all the driving :-D :-D

We are going last week July 1st week August, it will be busy we know but just have lots of back up in the area you are going and you should be fine.

Mandy

Mandy&Andy - 2011-07-10 7:38 AM

We have done the occasional municipal campsite only to find that too was very crowded and less friendly than the Aire. Remember a motorhome is for moving not sitting on one site for 2 weeks and only seeing that area so if you find somewhere you are not happy with you can always up sticks and find another.

Mandy

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with the up sticks and find another comment, I disagree 100% with the others.

We use Municipals almost exclusively and in 12 years of usage have never once been crowded, take as you find as ever and have certainly not found one to be unfriendly, in fact quite the opposite.

As for the Motorhome is for moving comment, blimey, what a generalisation that is. Where does it say you can't stay on site for X number of weeks or months?

We found our own shangri la (a municipal) and regularly have 2 - 3 week stays upon it. We have done this at other sites too, it suits us fine. Those who wish to keep upping sticks, fine, good for you - but not all of us.

As for the original question, a lovely town to visit is Lisieux, http://en.lisieux-tourisme.com/. There is a pretty Municipal site (of course :D ) right in the view of Bill The Conquerers castle, it has wifi if you're that way inclined.

Falaise is another beautiful town, very very pretty, stunning architecture and a lovely square for lounging about with coffee and/or lunch http://en.falaise-tourisme.com/.

Martyn

First of all I would recommend ypu buy the book All the Aires France, 3rd Edition all the French Aires

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/All-the-Aires-France-3rd-edition-all-the-Frence-Aires.html?page=1&gclid=CM_e0vyn9qkCFRQKfAodJDF5Zg

By far as I’m concerned, the best way to stay in France and will have plenty of places in Northern France to stay.

And in closing, just go, you will soon learn the art and enjoyment of motor homing..

;-)

At that time of year I would avoid the coast, as most of France will be there and campsites tend to be overcrowded, noisy and expensive.

Inland can be quite different as most of the locals are away, but any well known touristy area such as the Loire valley will also be crowded.

Since the kids have grown up we don't do France in August. If you have to go in August try to go the last 2 weeks that way you will get one busy week followed by a quieter one as most of the French end their holidays the week with Assumption day 15th August and you are left mostly with Dutch & Germans.

As said Municipals are good and cheap & quieter than commercial sites often a lot of the pitches taken by permanently positioned caravans so a lot less people about that the size of the site would suggest.

You will never be crowded on a French site pitches are clearly defined usually by a hedge so you have your own space. After staying on a French site it makes UK ones very un-appealing.

Aires are a good choice if you are just stropping the night and moving on in August you will need to arrive early. Aires are a godsend out of season as in a lot of areas of France sites close at the end of August.

Hi, you can't really go far wrong, France is totally geared up to the kind of stuff you want to do. We often pass through and never stay on sites, nor do we spend much time on aires. It's easy to find good spots to overnight and chill. There are loads of inland lakes that often have a bit of a beach and swimming area, they are even patrolled by lifeguards. These are quite busy in high season, but not as bad as popular coastal resorts.

One corner that we never see many GB tourists is the north-eastern one, around the area of Bitche (really). Much to do and see here.

To be fair, it's pleasant enough to just bumble about without any strict destinations.

Have a nice time.

The advice to go, if possible, after 15 August is excellent. I would add to avoid, if possible, driving on the weekends nearest the end of July (especially) and the middle and end of August. Plan to travel on weekdays if at all possible. I assume your family includes children. Presumably they will need entertaining, and views alone may not be sufficient for this. :-) Your main problem is that your holiday period is shared with every other European tribe, and France is the most visited country in Europe. So, those beaches, rivers, and lakes, insofar as they provide for swimming, boating or whatever aquatic activities, will be in high demand. The main commercial sites will have organised "animations" to keep the teenagers quiet (i.e. noisy!), and will be full. You should not need to book, but would be well advised to arrive anywhere you wish to stay no later than 14:30, and ideally soon after 12:00 mid day, when those leaving have to vacate. You may, therefore, find choice of pitches limited. My suggestion would be to try for sites near towns, so that you do not have to leave for shops, but also so that you can walk in to explore the town.

As to where to go, northern and central France is a big chunk of territory! It may help if you define for yourselves what you think may interest you, and then try to select places that are a little off the beaten tourist track, with the facilities you want, and head for them. A guide book will help narrow things down, and a decent sites guide. Personally, I think the Caravan Club Caravan Europe 1 guide, which includes France, gives the most reliable information. Couple this with the internet, as many sites have their own websites to give an idea of what they are like.

Maybe a meander along the little Loir (Le Loir), which is pretty, and has a number of pleasant riverside towns, and some smaller attractive chateaux and houses, rather than heading for the Loire (La Loire), where the grandest chateaux, and so the greatest interest, lie. However, the Loire upstream from Orleans has much to comment it, and is less popular than the lower stretch.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I'm tempted to say as it's your first time,go anywhere, it will be a huge adventure, however if I could only go in August as others have said I would tend to go inland it is likely to be just a little less crowded than the coast, I would never be brave enough at any time of the year to do Paris. Get on to the "d" roads, take your time, but remember what can appear as just a short journey on a map can in fact be quite a hike. I would set your sights low as far as distance is concerned otherwise your likely to end up spending most of your time driving.

Enjoy,it is a fantastic motor-home friendly country. We now never go anywhere else. ;-)

Disagree about missing out Paris, beautiful place.

I have always found driving in Paris to be a lot easier than one would expect.

If driving and sightseeing always start at the Notre Dame end, decide what you want to see, split these sights into groups that are on one side of the river or the other, then do one side one time and then the other side later.

Dead easy to find your way around that way and I have always found parking not too bad.

WATCH OUT FOR MOTORCYCLES if changing lanes

Have been there several times

Try these sites in Miannay...Camping le Clos Cacheleux and Camping Le Val de Trie...they are opposite each other just outside the village of Miannay and are sister sites to each other..Out of the pair I would say Le Clos Cacheleux is the better one....They are in the Alan Rogers guide..try this link http://www.camping-lecloscacheleux.fr the website is in French but if you click the home icon it translates to English...we just turned up as we'd not booked and they made us more than welcome..In fact we turned up on our return from wintering in Spain one April just as they'd opened and there were no real probs

We have used the site a total of 4 times and always found the owners top notch...and it's only around 45 minutes from the boat at Calais..Hope this helps

Guest 1footinthegrave
That's the thing about these forums, differing views. Quite agree about Paris as a great place to visit, but as a first time adventure using your motor-home, driving on the opposite side of the road, getting used to traffic signals, signs, and the French way of driving, my view is it would be a baptism of fire. You'll head or ignore advice on here, and that's the beauty of the forums to get a different take on things. But in any event reading between the lines of your OP Paris would not be high up on your list, or would it ? ;-)

Our first camping trip to France, nearly 50 years ago, was in a Mini Traveller with tent which we flew over the Channel from Lydd to Le Touquet.

Even then the coastal campings were crowded and noisy and we ended up on a very good campsite in the Bois de Boulogne. I still remember the trauma of driving round the Arc de Triomphe where the lane discipline was very different to what we were used to. The rule seemed to be that if your nose was in front you could change to any lane you preferred without any warning.

The Metro is a much less stressful way of getting around in Paris and it is very quiet there in August, as most of the inhabitants are away on holiday.

Welcome to the forum Lu. I am sure you will receive lots of advice so you might end up even more confused!

I agree with the last poster - leave Paris until you have time to enjoy it properly - a most beautiful and interesting city. In years gone by, when towing a caravan, I drove through the centre of Paris many times (the Arc de Triomphe is really exciting - once on, very hard to exit!) but as far as I know motorhomes are not allowed through the city now anyway, or at least the hours of entry are restricted.

Wisdom has it that the French are staying home this year so this may make inland campsites more full but the main routes emptier perhaps - who knows? Michelin area guides give information about places to visit then you could contact the tourist information offices of that area who will supply loads of local interesting places to visit and can suggest campsites etc. Most of these can be contacted online now and if you do not speak French a lot of literature is produced in English, just ask for it.

The food in Normandy is super (lots of cream and cheese!) and they are said to speak the most pure French, particularly around Tours. This is a lovely area with troglodites, wine cellars, chateau, museums etc. to visit. Lots of very old buildings still exist, despite the war, so you do not have to travel very far to enjoy yourselves. The French also make the most of their rivers and forests so lots of picnic places too.

Have fun - you will never forget your first adventure.

Guest JudgeMental

Please note: Most that go on about never visiting in high summer never go at that time themselves, and are vaguely reminiscing:-D We have been visiting Europe for well over 25 years always at peak time in July/August and have never had much of a problem (wife works in Education so no choice) and have always had an enjoyable time, plus weather is usually at its best at that time as well....

OK sometimes you might not get on first or even second site you fancy, if you just turn up, but you will always get in somewhere. If you know where you are heading and its a tourist hot spot simply book ahead? trawl through the sites and I would be very surprised if you did not find something.

Routes south can be busy over holiday weekends - we just drive down at night and avoid the madness

with 2 weeks I would be a little more adventurous and at least get to Normandy......Maybe Brittany. Or the Loire is not that far, and a beautiful and interesting touring area...

Patricia - 2011-07-10 7:09 PM...................................The food in Normandy is super (lots of cream and cheese!) and they are said to speak the most pure French, particularly around Tours. This is a lovely area with troglodites, wine cellars, chateau, museums etc. to visit. Lots of very old buildings still exist, despite the war, so you do not have to travel very far to enjoy yourselves. The French also make the most of their rivers and forests so lots of picnic places too...................................

Patricia! How could you? Tours in Normandy? Zut!

The cream and cheese bit is Normandy right enough (so is cyder - and Calvados!).

The best French, troglodytes, châteaux, wine cellars, and museums is Val de Loire (Centre), a fair bit further south. Mon Dieu! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2011-07-10 11:24 PM

Patricia - 2011-07-10 7:09 PM...................................The food in Normandy is super (lots of cream and cheese!) and they are said to speak the most pure French, particularly around Tours. This is a lovely area with troglodites, wine cellars, chateau, museums etc. to visit. Lots of very old buildings still exist, despite the war, so you do not have to travel very far to enjoy yourselves. The French also make the most of their rivers and forests so lots of picnic places too...................................

The cream and cheese bit is Normandy right enough (so is cyder - and Calvados!).

The best French, troglodytes, châteaux, wine cellars, and museums is Val de Loire (Centre), a fair bit further south. Mon Dieu! :-D

D’accord. Bien remarqué Brian! Bien sûr Tours n’est pas en Normandie.

Mais à mon tour je dois vous corrigé. Tours est dans la région Centre aussi et le Val de Loire est a l’ouest de Tours pas au sud !

Touché et bonne journée !

Dont forget about the Normandy invasion beaches. Arromanche is the centre and is facinating to see just what we Brits were able to do in 1944. Full of recent history and poignancy.

a good campsite just outside of town also an Aire below site. Many places of interest to see in the area.

Patricia - 2011-07-11 9:08 AM

Brian Kirby - 2011-07-10 11:24 PM

D’accord. Bien remarqué Brian! Bien sûr Tours n’est pas en Normandie.

Mais à mon tour je dois vous corrigé. Tours est dans la région Centre aussi et le Val de Loire est a l’ouest de Tours pas au sud !

Touché et bonne journée !

Yer, but what I meant was the Val de Loire is a bit further south of Normandy, not south of Tours, innit? :-)

I'm not so sure about your "a l'ouest de Tours", either! ;-) From just east of Blois (Beaugency, definitely Chambord) to at least Saumur, with Tours almost central. If we're getting really serious, and talking wine cellars, then from Orleans practically to Nantes. Échec et mat, je pense! :-D

Hi, Not one of these lovely people have mentioned one of my favourite guide books for getaway sites, and that is the France Passion book.

Depending on how much of a scrooge you are, apart from the cost of the book in the first place, you don't HAVE to spend any more on site fees. Each location is free, but the owners take part in the hopes they can sell you some of their produce, be it Wine, Cheese or whatever.

We have used the system this year on half a dozen occasions, (dare I admit, at absolutely no cost!)

and have mixed this with a selection of Aires (at minimal costs ((5euros, of which 2 were for water, and 3 for parking)). We have also mixed in Camping cheques sites, and several ACSI sites as well as a couple of municipals,

In Normandy area, places like Bayeux for the Tapistry, Arromanches for the Landings museum, Swiss Normande, Mont Saint Michel, Villedieu Les Poeles (bell foundry) are all places worth a visit, and Torigni sur Vire has a municipal site near the lake(potential fishing and Boating)

There are 15 FP sites listed in Manche,16 in Calvados and 10 in Orne, but you do need a good (michelin) Map to find them. Unfortunately FP don't publish satnav details.

Have a good trip, and remember to keep right on the roads.

tonyg3nwl

PS.I beleive the FP guide can be obtained through the Folkestone shop that is well known for the Aires guide as well.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Sometimes I think replies just lead to an information overload, simply too much to take in. My technique is to cut and paste text from posts that may interest me, then read it at my leisure, discarding what ever seems irrelevant. But your right, many times you never hear from the OP again, mmmmmm

Archived