Where to go or avoid in N. France

lureeves

We're just back from our tour de France; Sarzeau in Brittany, St. Palais near Royan, Saumur on Loire and Bayeux. We use Poole to Cherbourg ferry and stopped at Mont St. Michel car park for first night. Great to sit in bed and look out of the window at the floodlit abbey. Cost €12 per 24 hours. Only problem was we didn't expect attendant to come for the cash at 8:00 in the morning!

I find travelling 100 to 150 miles a day comfortable, using autoroutes but avoiding toll roads. Many of the towns and villages en route are pretty or at least interesting.

My TomTom sorts the routes very well and reminds me to go round roundabouts in the right direction!

Have a good trip

John

On our summer run through France now. This time doing north east and finding not too busy on aires, but do need to arrive before end of day to find space on smaller aires. So far have stayed at Gravelines, busy but all able to find space (just!), Le Cateau-Cambresis and now at Stenay (plenty spaces). In same area passed aire at Catillon-sur-Sambre, one space by canal but plenty of spaces on parking at other side and another British vanner had just come from Charleville-Meziers and stayed on aire there (but that one does get busy at all times); in past have stayed by river at Montherme, always good chance of spaces.

So back to original request, for a visit to northern France in summer with less crowds, nice river side aires, interesting towns, museums etc why not follow our route down the Meuse.

After reading comments about aires and campsites I say each to his own. If we are enroute to a particular destination we will use an aire but then like to chill out on an all singing and dancing camping site where we can join in with the dancing or whatever. One site for getting involved with the locals for drinking and dancing and having a great night out is the site by the river in Jarnac. We also like sites with a swimming pool, the temperature hit 43c whilst we were in Ste Foy la Grande so the pool was ideal for cooling off. The site is owned by Bob And Brenda who are from Clitheroe in Lancashire, what a lovely site it is.

Archived