Optimal Payload for long term motorhoming

Kormos

My wife and I are looking for a suiotable motorhome for long term use. We plan to spend several months touring Europe, especially Eastern Europe, Greece and Turkey.

Can anyone give some hints about the optimal payload we should be looking for? Naturally "as much as possible" will be a common asnwer. I'm looking for something more specific.

Other hints about a suitable Motorhome would also be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Guest pelmetman

Its one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions:D........but it might help if you also ask your question on www.motorhome365.com, as you will find people over there use all different types of vehicles and have a wealth of experience to pass on;-)...........as many of them are already doing itB-)

By the way...........welcome to the forum:D  

Kormos - 2011-07-10 12:24 PM

My wife and I are looking for a suiotable motorhome for long term use. We plan to spend several months touring Europe, especially Eastern Europe, Greece and Turkey.

Can anyone give some hints about the optimal payload we should be looking for? Naturally "as much as possible" will be a common asnwer. I'm looking for something more specific.

Other hints about a suitable Motorhome would also be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

At this stage in your planning you can put the payload question on hold. Much more important is the choice of motorhome and this will depend on factors like your budget, your driving-licence entitlement(s) and the size of vehicle you feel comfortable driving/parking.

I once met a couple who had happily spent months in Europe in an elderly little Auto-Sleepers panel-van conversion with its heater removed to gain extra storage space. Such a vehicle would be cheap to buy, drivable by anyone with a basic 'car' licence, and easy to park. Not big on interior space though.

At the other end of the scale is the over-6-tonne Concorde motorhome described on pages158-160 of Summer 2011's MMM magazine (though it's worth noting that even this large vehicle has needed to be uprated to obtain the payload the owner's motorcaravanning lifestyle requires.) A similar motorhome would cost around £70K, would require the driver(s) to have an 'over-3500kg' licence, and would present significant driving/parking challenges for many people.

MMM magazine's "Buyers' guide" (Pages 250 onwards in the current issue) lists details of new motorhomes including, in most cases, their stated payload. I would have thought that - whatever vehicle you eventually select - you'll need at least 400kg of payload available after the weights of yourself, your wife, full fue/water tanks and full LPG bottles have been allowed for. However, if you also wanted to carry a couple of motorbikes on board (as the Concorde's owner does), or a couple of full-grown rottweilers, then 400kg would not be enough.

A big thank you to everybody for the answers. The "Buyers Guide" looks most useful. But already I can imagine we can do without the motorbikes and the Rottweilers... as much as I love them both.

The Motorhome.365 looks a very useful site. I can see I'll be stuck to the screen and the Buyers Guide for a few weeks. Once again, thanks to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Derek Uzzell - 2011-07-11 7:37 AM  I would have thought that - whatever vehicle you eventually select - you'll need at least 400kg of payload available after the weights of yourself, your wife, full fue/water tanks and full LPG bottles have been allowed for.
Having found a VOSA weighbridge close to the route of our most recent trip, I decided to pop in and bite the proverbial bullet.

We had a fair bit of clothing (UK break, remember), half tank fuel and water and fullish gas along with our bikes, general boot locker load of chairs, electrical gubbins, tools, plumbing items (hoses, wastemaster etc and, of course myself and SWMBO.

Total weight 3300kg so 200kg spare. Both axles well under max load.

Given this model has 'only' 350kg payload listed on the website, it must be true that actual weights can vary down as well as up - as has been mentioned by upto 5%.

Weigh the van in racing trim, it's the only way to be sure whether you are legal or not.

The VOSA inspector was very helpful, showing me how to get onto the unit and what the readings meant. There was also no charge as he told me - 'it's all part of the services you pay for'.

Hmmm, a result, methinks! 

ps We have just had 10 weeks touring in France without taking much more stuff than for our week in Devon so i have no worries now about payload, unless we start thinking about motorbikes in garages!

Archived