CC Letter

Norma

Did anyone else's alarm bells ring at the letter in the Caravan Club Magazine about staying on aires (page17) Someone is suggesting that "Red Pennant insurance excludes claims where members have not used an established site for an overnight stay". Exactly the direction the Club seems to be heading - afterall they don't want any of us to wild camp and are trying to get it banned in Europe!

Hi Norma Yes I too read the letter and came to the conclusion that the person was a tugger with no concept of motorhomes and what aires are. I think he was thinking of motorway aires rather than aires provided by local towns and villages and as we all know we dont stop overnight on motorway aires. His conclusion was that we all stay on licensed sites and that way you wont be broken into. If you noticed the foreign site of the year or month, (I can`t remember which). a few years ago whilst staying on this site, someone near to me got broken into during the day and everything of value went. Foxy

Hi Norma, I agree with your thoughts, and was about to write to the Club Magazine. The writer obviously does not understand what aires are, and is confused with the motorway aires, on which no-one in their right mind would stay. If his suggestions regarding insurance is taken up, this would apply to parking at Ferry terminals etc, and could ultimately be extended to all parking areas used for short stays, not necessarily overnight. The writer needs to be educated quickly. Regards Ken

Hi, I read the letter and agree with all of you, but i really don't think Red Pennant would want to lose so many motorhomers premiums ?? to even think of taking his advice ?? and imposing such a restriction. it may be worth someone posting a letter in the CC mag, asking for their position on the subject ??

Eno. Don't hold your breath, it'd never get published!!! As for Red Pennant, just shop around as we do, we get a better deal with other insurers and you can also get better breakdown cover as well, oh, it's cheaper too!!! Just because it is the 'Club's insurance etc doesn't mean it's the best or the cheapest, a bit like their Ferry prices, they ain't anywhere near the cheapest. If they went down the road of not insuring you in certain circumstances they'd soon lose a load of business to other companies which they couldn't possibly afford to do what with all the nice pristine campsited they have to keep up!!!

I adore Caravan Club Magazine letters. I think I'll write in and suggest that all companies offering car insurance should exclude towing caravans from their policies' cover if the weather's bad. As it's well known that caravans are only marginally less stable in windy weather than the Space Shuttle at lift-off, anyone choosing to tow one in less than flat-calm conditions must be acting irresponsibly in the light of the known risk factor. Doesn't seem any dafter to me than the aires argument. On a less comic note, where the CC insurance does seem to score over its competitors is in the willingness to offer 'while abroad' accident-damage cover if you buy a motorhome in Continental Europe and are going to drive it back to the UK.

Archived